Using HEET for testing

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
zelph

Using HEET for testing

Post by zelph » Wed May 28, 2008 8:45 pm

I put this question befor the board of builders.

Should we switch to using Yellow bottled HEET to bench test our stoves. It seems to be consistant in it's formulation from the information gathered in the past year. The discussion with WBS Bill concerning the testing of his stove brings to mind a reason to change to HEET.

It's up for discussion.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Re: Using HEET for testing

Post by oops56 » Wed May 28, 2008 8:58 pm

zelph wrote:I put this question befor the board of builders.

Should we switch to using Yellow bottled HEET to bench test our stoves. It seems to be consistant in it's formulation from the information gathered in the past year. The discussion with WBS Bill concerning the testing of his stove brings to mind a reason to change to HEET.

It's up for discussion.
well as of now Wall mart and k mart no got any so i say slx i got 6 gallons as of now lets have a hot fire and 5 gallons coleman 3 gallons kero. but no fuel oil oh also 5 cords of wood 2 more on its way
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed May 28, 2008 9:01 pm

I checked Kmart 2 days ago and they were out. Everybody check their kmart to see if they have any on the shelves in the summer. Thanx

Oops. got fuel????? :D

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed May 28, 2008 9:48 pm

i got a problem with that. like ethanol, i can't get it up here. i'm stuck with methyl hydrate. i'll just use 18ml tested against you-alls 15ml and call it square.

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed May 28, 2008 9:52 pm

O K here is why i have so much fuel the left one holds 1 quart alcohol i use this most nights for my coffee water fill once week the big brass right holds 1-1/2 quarts kero.Then you got to try them home made alcohol stoves test re test try make it better make 3 or more keep good one scrap bad one so 2 quarts week most times

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed May 28, 2008 10:56 pm

Oops, you always have something nice and different to show from your collection. How many years have you been collecting vintage stoves?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:12 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Oops, you always have something nice and different to show from your collection. How many years have you been collecting vintage stoves?
Got most of them first 2 years off retirement on one old retire check use it all on stoves 7.000 of it plus some odds and ends

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu May 29, 2008 10:04 am

DarenN wrote:i got a problem with that. like ethanol, i can't get it up here. i'm stuck with methyl hydrate. i'll just use 18ml tested against you-alls 15ml and call it square.

Daren.......
We have to come up with a way to get you a case of HEET up to you. Who's up in the state of washington that would be kind enough to ship Daren a case If I paid for it? Is Sarbar up thata way? I think she is. Let me go check :)

Another thing is I think J. Austin is using heet on his stoves. It's what makes the flame so clean looking. Anybody can make a stove look clean burning :mrgreen:

They can't fool us. They say to burn denatured and use heet for photo sessions to make em look good. I can play the game also :lol:

I bring this idea of using heet up because the doohdahman got the idea into me mind. :)

Mags

Post by Mags » Thu May 29, 2008 1:14 pm

The advantage of using HEET for tests is that most long distance hikers use this for their fuel supply of choice.

A test using HEET would best reflect real world conditions of how these stoves are used IMO.
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art

Tony

Post by Tony » Thu May 29, 2008 6:15 pm

I think it would be a great idea to use the same fuel for consistency in tests. Please keep in mind that Methanol is the worst performing of all of the alcohols fuels.

Heet Yellow bottle is 99% Methanol sometimes called Methyl hydrate or Methyl Alcohol. Depending on the purity of Daren's Methyl Hydrate I do not think he has a problem complying with using HEET as the STD fuel.

As far as I am concerned I will be unable to join in using HEET as the standard test fuel as is not available on OZ, alcohols other than denatured are very hard to get here, I do have some Methanol 99.8% but I was very lucky to get it and I do not have much left.

Tony