Vargo Triad Titanium

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
zelph

Re: Vargo Triad Titanium

Postby zelph » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:06 pm

A two pound sledge will help. :mrgreen:

Nahhh!!! oops will talk a fix for you. I'm sure he has come up against the symptoms that you describe. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:00 pm

DarenN wrote:thanks Oops! i wondered if the cleaning needle was needed anymore. i tried the 123R with the needle removed and it still didn't work right.

i'll try and explain what the stove is doing. at the end of the pre-heat i open the main valve and the burner lights up, but it pulses; flares up and dies down on about a one second interval. i have both an 8R and a very nice '99', that both work perfectly. it's very annoying that the 123R doesn't work right.

sounds like a pressure air leak may be the cap gasket also check the ajustment nut where the key goes it got a packing make sure the tank not full to the top just 3/4 full. forgot some times need to prime 2 times try that before open it to burn
Man play with fire man get burnt

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:16 am

I got a little pressure pump that was made for the Svea 123. It has been some years back that I did that. Maybe no longer available?

Before I had the pressurizing pump, I used to have to "preheat" it with "fire ribbon" product sold in a tube. Other than that, high mountains and cold weather, it worked like a champ. I could always count on a "hot meal".

The repair kits are still available, but the most I ever had to do was clean the jet with the pin tool.

There is a "warning" I should mention: the flare-ups, if you ever have one, are spectacular!

I saw one, once. To this day, I will NEVER take a stove in a tent, or near a tent, or near a tarp, or ... nice video Oops56: do not get in front of that blow-off valve. I also do not lean over a backpacking stove, to look directly down into the stove.

I also have "The Blue Box" 8R.

Maybe or maybe not, I was told the 8R can explode. I was told, don't put on a big pan that covers over the gas tank.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:52 pm

DarenN,

I thought I should add: we used these things, fiddly as they are, because they were "field repairable" with the kit they sold, and, other stoves may have claimed to be "field repairable" were not at all. Oh, you might get thru a clogged jet, or, a replaced o-ring, but that was about it for MSR. The MSR pump plastic body and tubing cracked and broke from exposure to the fuel, I suspected, and possibly from exposure to UV. The only one I have intact was stored inside the cook kit, never used, so there was no exposure to UV and no exposure to fuel. The MSR were expensive. That was the last one I purchased. I have no experience with the newer models, admirable as the reviews sound, because every MSR stove made I purchased failed. The Svea 123 never failed.

The older Primus stoves had fans. By the time I came along those older Primus were not being sold.

There was no internet, and, no eBay.

But all stoves of the Svea 123 era, I experienced, were "fiddly" and we accepted that.

Now, it is "instant" gratification.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:13 pm

That was the last one I purchased. I have no experience with the newer models, admirable as the reviews sound, because every MSR stove made I purchased failed.

That says a lot, wow, whoda thunk it!!!! Thanks for that insight into the ones you've had.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:01 pm

There is another factor that may be considered: we were outdoors more time than most people, however, the failure was always the component that inserts in the fuel bottle.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:29 pm

ConnieD wrote:There is another factor that may be considered: we were outdoors more time than most people, however, the failure was always the component that inserts in the fuel bottle.

AHHHHHHHHHH, so the stove is OK but the amenities are at fault :D

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:43 pm

amenities?!

It was the component. We were out more than most people, that's all. I am certain.

Most people get in a weekend, or, a few weekends. Maybe a vacation, or, two or three.

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:51 pm

Fuel bottle component is at fault not stove ;)

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:56 pm

Huh? It is their component.

The stove, the fuel bottle insert "component" and the MSR fuel bottle: this is "the stove".

The fuel bottle insert component that fails is the grey-colored item on the left-hand side of the photograph.

I am not saying, this one failed, no doubt, because it never had exposure to gasoline or UV.

I am saying EVERY ONE I OWNED FAILED. Finally, I quit using these MSR model stoves.

In fact, this stove was the last for me.

I kept reporting the plastic components embrittled, split and/or were broken.

I don't know if anyone listened. Maybe the newest ones have better material?

I do know I gave up spending hundreds of dollars on junk!

Let me be more precise: I was ridiculed, every time I tried to get thru to someone that wasn't a jerk.

Now, as to my credability, in terms of "materials science" it was I who recommended the "plastic" material for the pump housing for the desalinators now "owned" by Katadyn.

I didn't mean to be deliberately "controversal". I just saw a YouTube about "the best" stoves for teotwawki and I am reasonably certain MSR does not make"the best" stoves for long-term use.

In my experience, MSR stoves of this design configuration did not hold up for long-term use.

Return to “Stove Testing and Reviews”