White Box Stove

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
zelph

Re: White Box Stove

Post by zelph » Wed May 14, 2008 1:11 pm

Thanks for your input guys. I'll be creating a Review Forum and the reviews can be posted there. I thought this thread would be interesting for someone to see the test results of a stove as I perform them. The WBS is one that I had just gotten and is the only commercially made stove that I have tested. I've not finished testing it yet. Once the testing is finished I can give an intellegent review.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed May 14, 2008 1:33 pm

An Equipment Review Forum has been created in the Commercial Gear Forum as a sub forum.

billinmt

Post by billinmt » Wed May 14, 2008 3:27 pm

zelph wrote:An Equipment Review Forum has been created in the Commercial Gear Forum as a sub forum.
What constitutes "Commercial Gear". I don't consider myself a Commercial Operation since it is a one man part time operation in the basement of my house. I feel the "Cottage Industry" tag still fits the White Box Stove the best.

Bill in MT

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed May 14, 2008 5:13 pm

billinmt wrote:
zelph wrote:An Equipment Review Forum has been created in the Commercial Gear Forum as a sub forum.
What constitutes "Commercial Gear". I don't consider myself a Commercial Operation since it is a one man part time operation in the basement of my house. I feel the "Cottage Industry" tag still fits the White Box Stove the best.

Bill in MT
Once a dealership is established such as you have, I consider that "Commercial".

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu May 15, 2008 11:01 am

Bill, your Ebay listing of the WBS has a statement that reads: THIS IS THE ONLY ALCOHOL BOTTLE STOVE SOLD ON EBAY THAT IS ALSO COMMERCIALLY MARKETED ON TWO DIFFERENT CONTINENTS

You are in agreement there that it's a "commercial product" right? If it's commercially marketed it no longer fits in the "Cottage Industry" catagory.

billinmt

Post by billinmt » Thu May 15, 2008 5:29 pm

Dang you mean I went from having fun in my basement to a full blown commercial venture and not even realizing I was doing it. ONLY IN AMERICA!!!

Bill Ballowe

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu May 15, 2008 9:13 pm

billinmt wrote:Dang you mean I went from having fun in my basement to a full blown commercial venture and not even realizing I was doing it. ONLY IN AMERICA!!!

Bill Ballowe
Making so many stoves took all the fun out of it. :mrgreen:

But I can see you laughing all the way to the bank. :lol:

Only In America!!!!!!!

billinmt

Post by billinmt » Fri May 16, 2008 12:31 am

zelph wrote:Making so many stoves took all the fun out of it. :mrgreen:

But I can see you laughing all the way to the bank. :lol:
No it is still fun to make them. When the fun ends the stove making will be over. Then I can go hunting, fishing and backpacking full time.. ;)

Bill in MT

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:20 pm

I read something of interest concerning the WBS type of design. It's the design that is a one piece design named bios.

Here is what is said about the stove.

What it comes down to is that the BIOS#2 likes HEET (yellow bottle) and nothing else.

It don't like SLX or ACE brands of denatured and it don't like HEET that was opened earlier in the year even tho it was tightly capped before setting it aside.

With denatured it flares up, spews fuel out the jets, goes out when you set a pot on it, produces large orange fire balls, some jets burn too fiercly while some go out. All sorts of crazy things happen when you feed it denatured.

The stove burns right with freshly opened HEET. Even flames and fast boil times.

I like the BIOS#2 NOW but before Tinny realized what the problem was I was on the verge of introducing the stove to my two pound shop hammer.

It worked when Tinny benched it at his place but it didn't work when three of us tried it here. I actually had that two pound hammer in my hand when my wife stopped me. I was so frustrated that I was gonna make me a red pancake.

Straight HEET - perfect burns EVERY time.

Straight ACE brand - stove almost went out when the pot was set on it, pulsating flames, flames going up the side of the pot, flare ups. No fire balls.

Straight SLX - same as the ACE.

50/50 HEET/ACE - almost perfect burns, some minor pulsating.

50/50 HEET/SLX - almost perfect burns, minor pulsating.

Like you've said many, many times Tinny, use HEET!

It's a good stove, just particular about the alcohol it likes. What the hey! The stoves almost human!!!

Like you say, the next batch of denatured may be awful or it may be better. Only way to know is buy it/try it. If it don't work in one stove it'll probably work in another.

Maybe this will save someone else some frustration. If your BIOS#2 burns funny when you get it just try a different brand of fuel.

Even the bad stuff mixed 50/50 with HEET or 50/50 good SLX works fine.

Be carefull when purchasing a stove like these. consider yourself informed to some extent. Get your 2 pound sledge handy ;)

The stoves are being sold without informing the purchaser upfront that it works well only with HEET :roll: It seems to be the same with the WBS. I experienced the problems here when the WBS was being tested.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:40 pm

These words come from tinny at mbdcult. I put emphasis on certain points, in red. You can see how his results of testing relate to what I have found in my testing.

The cure for a slow bloom time is to carry more fuel with you so you can pour it on a wick attached to the outside of the stove :roll: I hang my head in wonderment and shake it saying who in the world wants a stove likethat. (lot's, bill has sold many) One good point about the stove is you can use it as a step stool, the thing is built well. The price has doubled since the test :roll: as everything has. tinys raising prices on his also as of yesterday. We need that kind of stimulus talk :lol:

(from tiny's site)
Just opened the box and tried out the White Box stove from Bills ebay ad. He sells these on ebay for $9.95 and they come with a nice windscreen. To start --this is the only stove i have ever seen that is built with pride and quality--and the only new design I have ever seen that actually is viable. I have experimented with the aluminum bottles this stove is made from but finally abandoned the process because I found the aluminum too thick and hard to preheat. It is really too bad because this type of bottle,--as you can see make a very nice and rugged stove to say the least. I have to admit I never even thought of making an open top, because i know that they are even slower to light than the pressurized design. I put an ounce in the white box stove and set it ablaze as i punched my stop watch. After two minutes with no blossom i lightly blew into the top and it started to light ,another light puff and it was in full blossom. For the first few minutes it had a rather large flame ring but slowly settled down and got to work. The boil time is good and the stove is very hot. I might have inlarged the jets to get the flame ring down abit but i am not sure that would work out. The thing that bothered me most was the slow blossom that caused me to give up on this project in the beginning. So i chucked the stove up in the lathe and installed a wick--which I thought this smooth sided beauty was begging for all along. There that really speeds things up and makes for a nice little stove that is beautifly made and very rugged--and now fast. If you want to do this to your white box stove you can either buy some wick from my site or you can send the little girl to tinny and he will do the dirty work for you for $5.00 plus shipping---congratulations Bill you have a very nice design ----Tinny---got ideas?

OH-- I DO NOT recommend DENATURED ALCOHOL. I can't speak for every area but in my area they keep using different stuff to denature it, like camel urine and the results can be dramatic. I use HEET in the yellow bottle.

Blossomed after 20 seconds with new wick--120 plus seconds without wick