White Box Stove

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
User avatar
Skidsteer
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:10 pm
Location: Leisure Acres

Re: White Box Stove

Post by Skidsteer » Fri May 02, 2008 6:58 am

Even though it's more expensive, I have stopped buying denat in gallon cans and gone back to quarts for about the last year.

The gallons soak up too much moisture IMO.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)
Image

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: White Box Stove

Post by zelph » Fri May 02, 2008 4:10 pm

[quote="billinmt
Don't know what is wrong with the fuel used by you guys with yellow flames. What brand are you using. Must be something impure with it. Even different brands of denatured alcohol fuel will make a difference in additives and flame color.

After watching Oops video it shows yellow flames coming out the top of each stove before the burners even kick in. Good clean denatured burns clear blue from the start. That would indicate that the fuel is the problem. With good clean denatured you should be able to pour it anywhere and it will burn clear blue. I guess Skids wins the clean fuel award today.

Bill in MT[/quote]

The brand I'm using is "Sunnyside". I purchased a new gallon of it this morning and tested it in my kitchen. I opened it in my kithen and didn't get it dirtied in any way. It's good clean denatured alcohol. I didn't taint it in any way, shape or form. I don't mix fuels, never have, never will. It burned in the same fashion as the old can. In the white Box it burns as you see it in the clips. Anyone using that brand is going to see the same results.
Bill)Even different brands of denatured alcohol fuel will make a difference in additives and flame color.

With good clean denatured you should be able to pour it anywhere and it will burn clear blue.
Bill, your not the first stove manufacture to say that to someone that was having problems with a stove. The first thing they say is your fuel is tainted, must have water in it or it's too old blah blah blah.

From now on I think it would be better to start off saying: "Even different brands of denatured alcohol fuel will make a difference in additives and flame color".

Different brands, different formulas/additives. I don't think we should say their dirty or tainted.

The "Sunnyside" brand works just fine in my stove designs. Fancee Feest and Starlyte UltraLyte and many others. Wick style stoves.

Image
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
Ridgerunner
Posts: 5278
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: SW, Ohio
Contact:

Re: White Box Stove

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri May 02, 2008 4:35 pm

The "Sunnyside" brand works just fine in my stove designs. Fancee Feest and Starlyte UltraLyte and many others. Wick style stoves
Zelph, those stoves are all open wick stoves. Try using your fuel in a trangia or a stove with jets to see if there is any difference in how it burns :?:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: White Box Stove

Post by zelph » Fri May 02, 2008 5:13 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
The "Sunnyside" brand works just fine in my stove designs. Fancee Feest and Starlyte UltraLyte and many others. Wick style stoves
Zelph, those stoves are all open wick stoves. Try using your fuel in a trangia or a stove with jets to see if there is any difference in how it burns :?:
My trangia was violated and turned into a wick stove :lol: :lol: :lol: I took photos of it being taken apart a little bit at a time. It's in bplite archives somewhere. All in the interest of stove science.

I'll try it on my hybridized side jet stove or the original.

I'm accepting any and all trangia donations for testing :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Re: White Box Stove

Post by oops56 » Fri May 02, 2008 5:50 pm

zelph now you turn your sound on i made this cause you had no sound now i got to wight it out.
The left is tinny's coply right whitebox the fuel same as last night same can.Yes i know the right pot a little small. but both nice blue flame have no more to say lets cook something like pancakes on 1/2 oz. any stove alcohol




Image
Man play with fire man get burnt

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15834
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: White Box Stove

Post by zelph » Fri May 02, 2008 6:11 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Oops, I had the sound on, I could hear the click click click of the lighter and the pots hitting the stoves. Good one oops!!!!

tinny did't copy it, somekind of agreement/trade for rolled edge secret being passed on to bill I think. That right bill?

Oops, what did you do different to make em burn blue/clean?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Re: White Box Stove

Post by oops56 » Fri May 02, 2008 6:19 pm

zelph wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Oops, I had the sound on, I could hear the click click click of the lighter and the pots hitting the stoves. Good one oops!!!!

tinny did't copy it, somekind of agreement/trade for rolled edge secret being passed on to bill I think. That right bill?

Oops, what did you do different to make em burn blue/clean?
Well for one thing it 54F not 34F like last night and a little rain in the air now.
Here is one thing i found out on the yellow flame last night one pot was sweating on the out side and little water was hitting the flame and water was cold.Today lots wamer out and not so cold water i think thats how it made yellow
Man play with fire man get burnt

billinmt
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: White Box Stove

Post by billinmt » Fri May 02, 2008 9:39 pm

oops56 wrote:
zelph wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Oops, I had the sound on, I could hear the click click click of the lighter and the pots hitting the stoves. Good one oops!!!!

tinny did't copy it, somekind of agreement/trade for rolled edge secret being passed on to bill I think. That right bill?

Oops, what did you do different to make em burn blue/clean?
Well for one thing it 54F not 34F like last night and a little rain in the air now.
Here is one thing i found out on the yellow flame last night one pot was sweating on the out side and little water was hitting the flame and water was cold.Today lots wamer out and not so cold water i think thats how it made yellow
Clear blue flame just like as advertised.

About Tinny, first off I have never spoken with the man except though emails. I approached him a couple of years ago and offered to build custom sized windscreens for him. He jumped at the chance and bought a few and still does today. He originally bought a WBS from me and liked what he saw and made the BIOS stove, with his original rolled edge design, which is basically a shortened WBS copy. Frankly I am flattered that he did his own version. Tinny no where along the line ever said he was the first or original designer to use this type of bottle and in fact in his blog he stated his BIOS creation was due to the WBS. I do give Tinny credit for nicknaming the old original riveted model WBS the "Frankenstove".

We've all seen the Youtube video Tinny did on the WBS. http://youtube.com/watch?v=BYjn8Urk7YA He volunteered to do the video review because he thought the review done by Roger Caffin from BPL http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... eview.html was a little bogus. There was never any agreement for him to put it on Youtube.

Come to find out the meths used in Australia and New Zealand aren't the same as being used elsewhere, apparently they are more like ethanol than methanol. See this link for a discussion http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... index.html

Late last year I got an email from Tinny and he suggested I try rolling the edges of the WBS stove like he did with the BIOS to give the WBS a cleaner look. He took the time to make a video for me and show me how it was done. He even game me the name of the machinist he used to make the equipment used to make the roll. There is no secret agreement between us, never has been-never will be, it is just a kind gesture from one stove maker to another.

Now that I have rambled on long enough one last note. I finally have a web site in the works for the White Box Stove. This is also due to the volunteer help of another stove maker, GrinchMT. When it is finished I will let you know.

Bill in MT

oops56
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Re: White Box Stove

Post by oops56 » Fri May 02, 2008 10:25 pm

billinmt wrote:
oops56 wrote:
zelph wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Oops, I had the sound on, I could hear the click click click of the lighter and the pots hitting the stoves. Good one oops!!!!

tinny did't copy it, somekind of agreement/trade for rolled edge secret being passed on to bill I think. That right bill?

Oops, what did you do different to make em burn blue/clean?
Well for one thing it 54F not 34F like last night and a little rain in the air now.
Here is one thing i found out on the yellow flame last night one pot was sweating on the out side and little water was hitting the flame and water was cold.Today lots wamer out and not so cold water i think thats how it made yellow
Clear blue flame just like as advertised.

About Tinny, first off I have never spoken with the man except though emails. I approached him a couple of years ago and offered to build custom sized windscreens for him. He jumped at the chance and bought a few and still does today. He originally bought a WBS from me and liked what he saw and made the BIOS stove, with his original rolled edge design, which is basically a shortened WBS copy. Frankly I am flattered that he did his own version. Tinny no where along the line ever said he was the first or original designer to use this type of bottle and in fact in his blog he stated his BIOS creation was due to the WBS. I do give Tinny credit for nicknaming the old original riveted model WBS the "Frankenstove".

We've all seen the Youtube video Tinny did on the WBS. http://youtube.com/watch?v=BYjn8Urk7YA He volunteered to do the video review because he thought the review done by Roger Caffin from BPL http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... eview.html was a little bogus. There was never any agreement for him to put it on Youtube.

Come to find out the meths used in Australia and New Zealand aren't the same as being used elsewhere, apparently they are more like ethanol than methanol. See this link for a discussion http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... index.html

Late last year I got an email from Tinny and he suggested I try rolling the edges of the WBS stove like he did with the BIOS to give the WBS a cleaner look. He took the time to make a video for me and show me how it was done. He even game me the name of the machinist he used to make the equipment used to make the roll. There is no secret agreement between us, never has been-never will be, it is just a kind gesture from one stove maker to another.

Now that I have rambled on long enough one last note. I finally have a web site in the works for the White Box Stove. This is also due to the volunteer help of another stove maker, GrinchMT. When it is finished I will let you know.

Bill in MT
well the way i see it you say that you sold 3800. thats 75 cans a week and 8 hour job so you got to make 10 cans a day one ever 1/2 hour so when do you sleep or have time to do testing etc.your gov. taxes must be hi.
Man play with fire man get burnt

billinmt
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: White Box Stove

Post by billinmt » Fri May 02, 2008 11:52 pm

well the way i see it you say that you sold 3800. thats 75 cans a week and 8 hour job so you got to make 10 cans a day one ever 1/2 hour so when do you sleep or have time to do testing etc.your gov. taxes must be hi.
Oops,

I've got my stove making down to a science. Believe it or not I can make a stove about every four minutes. That equals about 15 per hour. However the most I've ever finished in one day would be 60 because I don't ever work a full 8 hour day. All work no play makes you old to fast. When I started rolling the top edge it actually saved me about 2 minutes per stove so that was a big time saver.

Right now I have 500 made and am starting another batch of 250. Doing 1 step of the operation at a time for a larger number of bottles helps cut down the time tremendously. I will admit the monotony does get to me after awhile. If you saw my operation and how simple I've made it would knock your socks off.

You can ask my accountant about my taxes. I've been audited twice in the last 3 years and both time there were no changes. I gotta get more write offs... lol

Bill in MT

Locked