White Box Stove

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
zelph

White Box Stove

Post by zelph » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:36 pm

Stove tested was a new White Box Stove with rolled edge.

I did three test burns using 1/2 ounce denatured alcohol.

No priming pan used. No windscreen used. Test conducted under calm, unheated greenhouse conditions.

Air and water temperature were at 47 degrees

5 inch dia. aluminum pot used with lid. 3 cup capacity.

1. bloom time 110 seconds. (watch your knuckle hair when putting pot on stove, full bloom flames are high.)

flame out at 7 min. - Water temp 200 degrees.

2. bloom time 105 seconds.

flame out 6.5 min. - water temp 170 degrees.

3. bloom time 90 seconds.

Flames pulsate at 5 min. burn and start to diminish at 6.5 min

flame out at 7 min. - Water temp 194 degrees.

Conclusion: Not able to boil 2 cups of water with 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol. Long bloom time.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Re: White Box Stove

Post by oops56 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:07 pm

zelph wrote:Stove tested was a new White Box Stove with rolled edge.

I did three test burns using 1/2 ounce denatured alcohol.

No priming pan used. No windscreen used. Test conducted under calm, unheated greenhouse conditions.

Air and water temperature were at 47 degrees

5 inch dia. aluminum pot used with lid. 3 cup capacity.

1. bloom time 110 seconds. (watch your knuckle hair when putting pot on stove, full bloom flames are high.)

flame out at 7 min. - Water temp 200 degrees.

2. bloom time 105 seconds.

flame out 6.5 min. - water temp 170 degrees.

3. bloom time 90 seconds.

Flames pulsate at 5 min. burn and start to diminish at 6.5 min

flame out at 7 min. - Water temp 194 degrees.

Conclusion: Not able to boil 2 cups of water with 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol. Long bloom time.

yep its not very hot stove i got two
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:25 pm

I did a second set of three burn tests.

Air, fuel and water temp 38 degrees Unheated greenhouse environment. Air calm.

No windscreen used. 5" diameter aluminum pot with 3 cup capacity.

3/4 ounce denatured alcohol for fuel.

1. Bloom time 110 seconds

Water boiled 7.75 min. - Flame out 8.75 min.

2. Bloom time 110 seconds

Water boiled 7 min. - Flame out 8.25 min

3. 3/4 ounce fuel used to see if there was a difference in bloom time.

Bloom time 110 seconds. (no difference in bloom time)

Water boiled 6.5 min. - Flame out 20 min.

Not able to light stove comfortably with "book matches" They are too short, Match needs to go all the way to the bottom to light fuel. Puting the match half way won't do it. Bic lighter will not light the stove. Long "kithchen" matches would be the choice to chose to get the job done.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:04 pm

Conclusion: Not able to boil 2 cups of water with 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol. Long bloom time
I wonder why my unit boiled 2 cups with 1/2 ounce of fuel and yours did not any why yours took longer to blume than mine. I think I got the "turbo" model :P I used it in my hunting trip with a Heine pot but was very dissapointed in the results and to be fair, I believe the burner was intended for a regular cook pot. How heavy of metal is your 3 cup pot ?

Strike anywhere Kitchen matches are my flame of choice. The are getting harder to find as the strike on the box has les liability to the retailer, I suppose. Of course, the Bernz-o-matic is a reliable backup! :lol:

It is suppose to get down to 33 degrees tonight----I will do another test outside and compare results. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Skidsteer

Post by Skidsteer » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:09 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
Conclusion: Not able to boil 2 cups of water with 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol. Long bloom time
I wonder why my unit boiled 2 cups with 1/2 ounce of fuel and yours did not any why yours took longer to blume than mine. I think I got the "turbo" model :P I used it in my hunting trip with a Heine pot but was very dissapointed in the results and to be fair, I believe the burner was intended for a regular cook pot. How heavy of metal is your 3 cup pot ?

Strike anywhere Kitchen matches are my flame of choice. The are getting harder to find as the strike on the box has les liability to the retailer, I suppose. Of course, the Bernz-o-matic is a reliable backup! :lol:

It is suppose to get down to 33 degrees tonight----I will do another test outside and compare results. ;)
What was your starting water temp?
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:36 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:

The pot is heavier than what I would normally use. It's a heavy gauge scouting model. I'll have photos befor I end this testing and a movie also. My favorite needs to be de-limed and de-creosoted.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:52 pm

What was your starting water temp?
40 degree well water
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:20 am

Here are some photos showing the inside of the stove. I made a pencile line at the half way point of the narrow section to show where the suggested fuel amount should be to boil 2 cups of water. One photo shows the level of 1 ounce of fuel. 37ml of fuel would come to the penciled level mark. Thats more than needed to boil 2 cups. One photo shows some short strike anywhere matches compared to full size strike on box kitchen match. The box of short matches were in my garage for a year or two unprotected. They only smoldered when I tried to light them, never took a flame.. They succomed to the elements :lol: The movie shows the stove beggining to bloom after 1 min. 45 sec. and how high the initial flame is when you put a short pot on. Singed my knuckle hair, shoulda used the bail on the pot :roll: Flame size settles down after 30 sec. Initial flame burns sooty and when pot is removed and returned. Pot is beggining to shows signs of blackening after 12 test burns. When lighting the stove, the match needs to go down to the bottom of the stove almost touching the fuel to light it. Watch the knuckle hair. ;) I suppose in warm weather the stove will light alot easier. I'll test it when the sun warms the green house to about 75 - 80.

Air temperature was 45 degrees at time of movie.

ImageImageImageImage

oops56

Post by oops56 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:20 pm

zelph wrote:Here are some photos showing the inside of the stove. I made a pencile line at the half way point of the narrow section to show where the suggested fuel amount should be to boil 2 cups of water. One photo shows the level of 1 ounce of fuel. 37ml of fuel would come to the penciled level mark. Thats more than needed to boil 2 cups. One photo shows some short strike anywhere matches compared to full size strike on box kitchen match. The box of short matches were in my garage for a year or two unprotected. They only smoldered when I tried to light them, never took a flame.. They succomed to the elements :lol: The movie shows the stove beggining to bloom after 1 min. 45 sec. and how high the initial flame is when you put a short pot on. Singed my knuckle hair, shoulda used the bail on the pot :roll: Flame size settles down after 30 sec. Initial flame burns sooty and when pot is removed and returned. Pot is beggining to shows signs of blackening after 12 test burns. When lighting the stove, the match needs to go down to the bottom of the stove almost touching the fuel to light it. Watch the knuckle hair. ;) I suppose in warm weather the stove will light alot easier. I'll test it when the sun warms the green house to about 75 - 80.

Air temperature was 45 degrees at time of movie.

ImageImageImageImage

Hay i got copy rights on them stove burner covers :lol: :lol: :lol: But its ok. :mrgreen:
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:26 pm

Next one I'll give mention of stove cover by Oops56 :mrgreen: