Jetboil SOL Titanium Cold Weather FAILURE!!!

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
zelph

Jetboil SOL Titanium Cold Weather FAILURE!!!

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:08 pm

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Re: Jetboil SOL Titanium Cold Weather FAILURE!!!

Postby ConnieD » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:08 pm

I have "cooked" 10 minute soft-boiled eggs in it (not the most efficient use) and I have heated up soup (thick soup or stews stick to the bottem and so I stir and watch it closely).

I have never taken my JetBoil more than 1 1/2 turns on the fuel. It seems to only use more fuel, not heat faster.

I have no idea how he could slowly heat anything using a JetBoil. It is always fast.

I know titanium "tears" from repetitive stress. If that is a tear failure, maybe it has been banged around?

I also do not separate it from the stove, until I am packing up. I don't drink out of it, or, eat soup directly from it. I pour the soup in the plastic cup, consuming one cup at a time. I remove the soft-boiled eggs with a long handled spoon. I pour off the hot water into a fbc-type "cozy".

I read the YouTube comments and the BPL thread http://www.bit.ly/AhLXEn

10 F

Not a "cold weather" stove?

I don't know: I do not remove the plastic parts. I put it all together with the plastic cup and big lid. It rolls around on the floor of my truck, or, my van. Tough as nails.

I also don't set down hot stuff on cold stuff: Even Pyrex glass will shatter.

I use my "beanie" watch cap for sleeping for setting things down on the snow. I never use a cold rock or cold snow.

I started doing that, because hot and cold contact are not smart.

I started doing that with the JetBoil because the fins heat faster but also cool faster. I want the hot water to stay hot.

Maybe a reflextec "cozy" would solve this problem for "cold weather" use? It would melt.

Maybe another material? After a matter of seconds off the flame, my wool "beanie" watch cap doesn't burn.

I wonder how much of this is handling, modifications to the JetBoil by removing parts, or ???

If I were JetBoil, I wouldn't honor the warranty on a stove that has been modified. I would honor the warranty on this one, but I would ask for a step-by-step description of the failure. Was it sitting on an ice cold rock? Do you separate the stove first?

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:18 am

One of the comments to the video indicated something similar happened to their stove.

It will be interesting to see the follow up by the manufacturer.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:32 am

I read the BPL thread of that guy who made the comment: bit.ly is a shortened link service.

He modified his Jet Boil down to 7 oz. In my opinion modification violates a warranty.

He did say JetBoil wanted him to return it. Do ya' think!

If he reassembles it and sends it back, that is just "ripping off" JetBoil.

One person, in the BPL thread, said the heat exchanger "fins" are aluminum. That could explain failure, if not attached well.

I am thinking, hmmm... Maybe a windscreen was used?

The Manual PDF says: Never use any kind of windscreen or Outback Oven (tent) ... in bold print.

At most, I have used a windbreak.

I still think knocking it around, removing the plastic housing, or, separating the stove and setting the pot down in cold snow or on an icy cold rock is the problem.

I just haven't had any problem.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:23 am

:roll:

The JetBoil website Description says "good down to 20 F".

The video description comment was 10 F.

He also has a video, showing heating creamed corn chowder. He remarks it is burning on the bottem.

That is specifically warned against in the JetBoil instructions: It overheats the heat exchanger.

Perhaps that is when the damage was started...

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:48 pm

That's good info connie. He's commited some negatives ;)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:20 pm

Connie, you would do well in a fraud investigating career ;) My daughter just started in that field and loves her work.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:45 pm

My dad was a Detective Sergeant. He was highly honored.

He made new procedures. He drafted an entire code of law.

My interest in "detective work" was in science and technology. Who is doing the hiring? :D

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:09 pm

Oh great! I remark, "I would not warranty any modification whatsoever".

Now BPL has "You do not have access to view this thread".

The thread is "Orange thingy on JB sol ti"

The thread topic is about modifying the JetBoil, inparticular about removing the plastic housing "base" on the burner.

The discussion starts with removing the plastic base off the burner. He answers. It goes on about modifications, discussing JetBoil FAIL along the way. One poster, in particular refused to answer questions, asked by someone else, citing his "liability".

Hikin' Jim asked a question. He wouldn't answer it.

(I had been reading the thread, as the thread progressed.)

I asked a question. Apparently, I am banned.

This person has a YouTube account.

I heard YouTube has advertising money for accounts, if you "opt in" for it.

If true, I guess that advertising money must be important.

But BPL? Since when did BPL become close-minded to dealing with facts? BPL has always been all about facts. No?

I used to subscribe to BPL but I thought it had too much pretentious snobbery. I did not think BPL was dishonest.

If any of these "users" used a windscreen, boiled over food, burned food ...they ruined their JetBoil.

That is not a JetBoil FAIL.

The video this thread started with shows a boil over of food. That isn't water down the side.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Tinny and I say it's "Bad Fuel" ;) Just a little humor there.

Where are all the engineers when you really need them. ;)

I suspect some bacon grease got onto the fins from the last boil over of bean and bacon soup and caused corrosion of the worse kind. :D

Grease and aluminum are not compatible :o Salt also. ;)

J. David Lantz
(cowexnihilo) - MLife

Locale: The mountains are calling...

NEW other thread removed on 03/01/2012 09:52:48 MST
I just saw that the original thread (titled: Orange thingy on JB sol ti) reporting a problem was removed by Ryan Jordan. Curious about the reasoning behind that, and about whether this thread will disappear as well.

-David

Connie, that thread was officially deleted and is not available to anyone.

As you look down to the current thread on the failing JB you'll see BPL is advertising a lot for Jetboil sales. It's only right they present only positive remarks about that product.

Like the guy said in what I quoted, they'll probably delete the current thread.

During the wee hours of the night it may disappear :lol: we have had thread content vanish by means of original posters. It's our sosciety ;)

Return to “Stove Testing and Reviews”