Caldera Cone Testing

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
realityguy

Re: Caldera Cone Testing

Postby realityguy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:35 pm

I think the screw is appropriate.. :roll:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:52 pm

I purchased a Trail Designs Caldera Cone GVP.

I feel I paid too much for it.

The metal is thin. It has sharp edges.

The sharp edges are most annoying, when you try to line up the slots to put it together. Okay, that's me.

The metal also loses it's "new" really fast. It dents easily. I think that is true for everyone.

Maybe the titanium one is better? I think that would depend on the thickness.

I am not trying out the titanium version because I have a perfectly good conical windscreen made from thicker material that works very well. No sharp edges. It does not dent easily. I like it. (made by zelph: see avatar.)

The "beer bands" are smelly: they have a rubber-odor. The odor and the texture interferes with my appetite.

The "beverage" cans are no good, unless "improvements" are made.

The Ridgeline Fosters is the only "improvement" I have tried, that I appreciate. It works.

I like the Caddy, especially, if I still had my rucksack with the two big cylindrical pockets on the front. Alas, no.

I purchased the GVP because I didn't like their alcohol stove: it has a priming pan.

I see you have their alcohol stove. How well does it perform?

Is it a "fast boil" or a "slow simmer"?

I would like to know how much time the system requires to get 2-cups water to a a rolling boil.

The Caldera Cone System, I appreciate, is they "designed" and "marketed" a stove and a windscreen made for a specific cooking pot as a "cooking system". That was a "breakthrough" because the previous "cooksets" for backpackers wishing to have lightweight and low volume packs had all been failures.

I think their "Sidewinder" looks good.

. . .

The "brochure" packed in with it is typical, for lawyer-speak.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:35 am

I have not tried using the system. Not enough days in the week :D and hours in the days. :o

Burn-out is not limited to stoves :mrgreen:

When I get the chance to test the system, I'll push it hard. See if has muscle ;)

Someone on youtube asked how to remove the pot when the cone sticks to it. Connie, how did you remove your pot from your hot cone?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:01 pm

I used the cheap aluminum shepherd hook stakes that are provided with a tent purchase.

I suggested, in the comments section, a shepherd's hook tarp/tent stake.

The titanium needle stakes or the titanium nail stakes will work, as well.

It seems many of the YouTube backpackers have those type tarp/tent stakes in titanium, which work very well.

I admit, I have been looking at the tarp/tent titanium stakes sold, because I want to use them with my backpacking stoves.

On topic, if the ground is suitable, I put the shepherd hook stakes through the bottem openings in the Caldera Cone.

If not, I just pop that Caldera Cone off while holding on to the beverage can. However, I needed to grasp the sides of the can.

This is one more reason I did not like either the Foster's can or the Heineken can with "improvements". Neither the "rubber band" or the "wick wrapping" provided strength to the sides of the can.

I had been wearing workman's gloves, from the hardware store, that have silicone dots, that worked fine.

However, the sides of the can deflected too much, denting the can.

It looked like I was backpacking something I pulled out of a dumpster.

I do not like to look like a "hobo" or like a "homeless" bum. Even "homeless" I had got nice travel trailer. I washed and dressed well. When I was a child, camping, hiking and backpacking were for lucky city kids like me, whose parents made certain every family vacation included great experiences camping, hiking, backpacking, fishing, canoeing, and more fun like that in the wilderness. Backpacking has been recreation, for me, over 50 years. I am very sensitive on that subject. It is part of why I have expensive gear and clothing.

Now that I have a Ridgeline Foster's, I can use the "silicone pot grabber" instead.

The shepherd hook tarp/tent stakes will remove the Caldera Cone.

I don't need them, now.

FYI, I will very likely spray paint my Foster's can "stove" black.

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:52 pm

These give me ideas of a combined stake/windscreen/pot holder.
Lets you use a thinner foil but get strength by bending.

"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:44 pm

Thank you! Suluk46 and sudden

These are the tools I need to make my "unobtanium" titanium stove design.

He is using 0.016" thick, 6AL-4V sheet titanium.

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:14 pm

ConnieD wrote:Thank you! Suluk46

These are the tools I need to make my "unobtanium" titanium stove design.

He is using 0.016" thick, 6AL-4V sheet titanium.

It was nice of him to show people how he does it. He sells the high tech versions for a living. I like people who give back. He won't lose any business but the rest of us get an education.

Can't wait to see the unobtanium stove.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:24 pm

Me too! I have to purchase the material and find the access to the right tools.

I don't think I have a lot of use for those specialized tools.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:54 pm

Tomorrow :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:43 pm

The metal brake he has looks like the 18" harbor freight one I have..at $40..not $15-20..Keep that in mind if you plan on buying one of those for doing the bending.I don't recall ever seeing them on sale there.They do work well,especially for metal other than titanium..I use mine quite a bit but it's been unbolted from the bench for a while now.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Stove Testing and Reviews”