Caldera Cone Testing

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
zelph

Re: Caldera Cone Testing

Postby zelph » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:45 am

cruiser wrote:Here comes more information than you could ever possibly need:

My stove, since birth, has been used exclusively with a Ti-Tri sidewinder with a tall narrow pot ... an MLD 850. I use tent stakes as per TD design and I prop my stove up on the honeycomb mesh that comes with the inferno thing-a-ma-jig. I also use the single piece floor plate. She has lived on a nearly exclusive diet of DA, having tasted Heet only once. I keep my fuel in a bottle with a packafeather squirt-top for quick and precise delivery. I made a cap for the stove from an old pill bottle (you didn't offer caps yet and I couldn't find a can of desolder wick) and adorned said cap with a picture of the "Heat Miser". It reminds me of my wife.

I like my system ... but I am working on reducing the number of moving pieces. Plus, I now seem to be obsessed with this site so I am probably going to screw it all up in some horrible, disastrous experiment sometime very soon. Breaking perfectly useful things for no apparent reason just happens to be my super-power.

Just curious ... In your study of the Starlyte in a cone why don't you use a transparent vessel for a direct viewing angle ... like the borosilicate glass beakers you referenced in past threads?

Cutting a tapered borosilicate flask would be tricky business. I really could never find the time to take that project on. :o Viewing from the bottom makes it so easy to see if the flame pattern is staying centered on the bottom of the pot.

I'll have to google the ti-tri to look at the design of the air openings. My cone has a large opening at it's base where the ends join. Lots of air entering at that point. Too much in fact. It causes the flames of 12-10 and other test stoves to be drawn off center. :o It's sad but true. :(

Due to the stiff joining mechanism on my cone, it causes the cone to be lopsided, not a true cone shape. It's a cone with a bulge :mrgreen: But as we are told, the cone system has been scientifically engineered by 3 engineers.

Take your time on this site. There is a lot to be gleaned from it. Lots of members have given tons of helpful information on all subjects.

Thanks for the info on your cone history. :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:04 pm

I included a picture of my set-up to save you time google searching. (I removed the background because it was easier than cleaning-up the garage.)

TT sidewinder.jpg
My Ti-Tri sidewinder w/ MLD 850

I have not trouble with the stiffness of the joining mechanism ... unless you count it wanting to cut me to death as it comes out of my pot and unfurls like a deadly cobra. I wonder which of the three scientists engineered that little booby-trap? As you see in the picture, the only large opening in the sidewinder is near the pot handles ... which winds up being above the top of the stove. I wonder how many of the tests I see on-line with the Starlyte and the CC are using different cone designs/shapes/sizes? I guess that could explain some of the variations in the results.

BTW, I didn't mean for you to cut borosilicate. I meant something like this: http://www.avogadro-lab-supply.com/item.php?item_id=279

Now I am going back to comb the depths of the site. The information here is very much appreciated. I have just discovered "Tony" and his heat flow shadow-graphs and 3-dimensional heat imaging. Unreal. Who knew I knew so little?

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:34 am

All we've heard about the 12-10 stove being engineered to work well in a confined space seems to be misleading. My recent findings show my Keg-Cone has way too much air entering and exiting causing radical burn rates for my venom super stove which normally burns at a decent rate.

I think he original cone design had only elongated holes and no holes for handles. Now there are so many designs it's hard to keep track. :roll:

Who knew I knew so little?

haha, your wife knew that :mrgreen:

I like "Tony's" graphs. I like visuals :geek:

Understand now on the glass base for viewing. :)

I wonder which of the three scientists engineered that little booby-trap?

Same one that suggested turning the bottle upside down to suck fuel into it. ;)

Once the cone snaps open a few times we learn how to combat it's threat :lol: The more we bleed, the more take heed :geek:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Stove Testing and Reviews”