MBD Elite alcohol stove

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
zelph

MBD Elite alcohol stove

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:48 pm

Watch the video and then we'll do an evaluation based on visual inspection. While viewing keep in mind the SuperCat stove. It burns similar to the Elite.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Re: MBD Elite alcohol stove

Postby oops56 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:43 pm

i got the first type he use to make he forgot how he made them not using the same type can one of these days when its a little warm to get out to the shop found it i fire it up
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:10 pm

oops56 wrote:i got the first type he use to make he forgot how he made them not using the same type can one of these days when its a little warm to get out to the shop found it i fire it up

His old one might work better :o

Now don't laugh when you watch this one:

oops56

Postby oops56 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:12 am

zelph wrote:
oops56 wrote:i got the first type he use to make he forgot how he made them not using the same type can one of these days when its a little warm to get out to the shop found it i fire it up

His old one might work better :o

Now don't laugh when you watch this one:

my elite lights no need a blow job just bring pot slow on to it
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:59 pm

Oops, In both videos it is obvious that the stoves needs a blow job or a hand job to get the jets going. Can you imagine trying to see the jets on a sunny day at 5:00pm when you're ready to chow down. The elite is a workshop bench stove. That's where you can see the jets in order to give it a blow or a hand wave. I remember seeing a video made by freezerbagcooking of a beginner alcohol stove user being introduced to the WhiteBoxStove. She had a bear of a time trying to see if the stove was lit and then to see if the jets were lit so she could put her pot on. The video was made on a sunny day using a picnic table out in a park somewhere. You might remember that video.

When tiny 1st introduced the stove he didn't tell every one that the stove was to have 190 proof alcohol and not to use any other fuel. :o

He din't tell everyone that they need to give the stove a blow or hand wave to get the jets to working. He doesn't tell them up front what needs to be done to operate the stove. He sells them with an instruction sheet that gives them the sad news. When they have problems he then makes a special video to make everyone aware of the "instruction sheet" Kinda devious behavior there. :o

It's a small diameter stove, too small for larger pots, difficult to center and maintain balance. Not user friendly.

It's flame pattern is too wide for small pots. Too much heat wasted going up the sides of the pot.

Takes way too long for the jets to get started. That's wasted fuel.

I like the graphics on the outside of the can.

Watch this "Real World" video on how to light a side jet stove on a nice sunny day. This is typical of side jet stoves. (exception:Cobalt, all jets light every time after 12 seconds. Not affected by cold pots placed on it ;) )

MrClean

Postby MrClean » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:49 pm

I've got a homade 'Elite' style stove, actually just used the Zen stoves mini V-8 can dimensions but used the top of the can for the top, had to hold my tongue right cutting the tapered inner core, cussed myself for not remembering how to calculate the radius's for a funnel. Missed my Math instructor father. And I use it about every day at work to boil the water for my oatmeal.

I fill that thing up, light it and by the time I put the lighter in the drawer and shut it, the stove is usually bloomed. 5 seconds? Normally doesn't take over 15. But, that's inside with no breeze. Problem with the stove is if you put two cups of cold water on it too quick, it'll shut right off. Which it does in this video:

Thats why I like my Fancee Feast can with the inner v-8 can liner. My homemade is like Zelphs only it uses CF between the V-8 can and the Food can. The inner can is drilled so I just pour half a ounce of fuel in there, tip it so the CF is wet and it's ready to go. I can't find my video but I boiled 2 cups of crushed ice water with that, it doesn't care.

Have a video of that somewhere BUT can't find it of course.
From somewhere near Parkville, Mo.
William Crane
aka MrClean

You live. You learn.
Well anyways, you live.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:52 pm

Cold water in pots and jet stoves don't get along very well.

they have to be lit for about 60 mseconds to heat up high enough to stay lit when the cold pot is put on. Thats for sure. Now some will say all you have to do is prime it with a primer pan or wick wrapped around the stove body and then pour 1/4 ounce fuel onto it and let heat up that way. Some will say all it takes is a few drops........it ain't going to happen. Three drops will evaporate before your match gets to it ;)

"Sooty" introduced the Fancee Feest style stove over at hammockforums and got quite a few hundred folks to make their own using the Venom and Budlite aluminum bottles. Hard to beat a Fancee Feest. (I'm out of stock) :cry:

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:48 pm

Now here's a guy that likes the multi purpose fuel :lol: Tiny is a bad influence on his mostly under age customers. ;)

Now watch this one and look to see how the jets are at a low output on the right side. The ones on the left are putting flames up the side of the pot. the material he's using is restricting the flow of gas and in many instances is the cause for the jets not lighting. Clogged jets. You won't be able to see the blocked jets during sunny days. Notice the nice ridges on the Foster's ;)

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:07 pm

I had yellow Heet clog the precise-size holes on a DarenN pepsi can stove.

The "first burn" it was 5.5 minutes. After that, 6.5 minutes.

That guy is fun: I don't have all the forms of alcohol, on hand, to "test". I am glad he did all the testing for me.

Return to “Stove Testing and Reviews”