THE BEANER - WorldStoveUSA

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
realityguy

Re: THE BEANER - WorldStoveUSA

Postby realityguy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:12 pm

:lol: ..and you think campers have a soot problem with their stoves... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:07 am

I did another test today. Larger diameter pieces to include some pine cone parts. It started out ok but fizzled out about midway through the burn. Lots of glowing red coals on the bottom. I blew on the mass and it ignited again, burned for 45 sec and went out. Blew on it again and it ignited, flame was very weak and could be blown out easily.

Primary air supply is coming in over the top rim of the stove. Not enough air entering in from the bottom holes. At one point in time I sensed the opposing draft that is talked about over on Hammock Forums due to lack of updraft from bottom ring of holes(TLOD).

This stove is definitely not trail worthy. According to the Beaner owners over at HF the stove is only good for burning wood and paper pellets. The stove is not user friendly. It's too tall and requires a separate tall potstand..

The stove needs to be returned within 30 days for a refund. Buy one, test it and return it.

My testing is complete.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:16 am

Are you sure you made the holes large enough on the outer can? I can't really see how the air could possibly transfer from the outside to the inner chamber sufficiently through the tiny holes to keep anything going,especially with the holes above the fuel.Maybe the fuel has to be stacked in there high enough to be above the holes..get the top burning to where the flames work their way down to the lower fuel..
Maybe you didn't use enough gasoline for primer... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:32 pm

realityguy wrote:Are you sure you made the holes large enough on the outer can? I can't really see how the air could possibly transfer from the outside to the inner chamber sufficiently through the tiny holes to keep anything going,especially with the holes above the fuel.Maybe the fuel has to be stacked in there high enough to be above the holes..get the top burning to where the flames work their way down to the lower fuel..
Maybe you didn't use enough gasoline for primer... :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:

Ever since I tried the Garlington style top lit stove I was turned off to such a design. It is not user friendly, same with Beaner, not user friendly.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:39 pm

I couldn't resist another test :shock:

I used clothes pins, craft sticks and tongue depressors cut up to what I thought was good size. Everything was moving along fine until I fed in one small piece of fuel....it put the small flame out. The piece of fuel that I put in was a kitchen match(a good one) I wanted to check if it would light, did not light and put the stove out. Clouds of smoke began to rise is how I can tell the stove went out. I had a pot of water on top and it raised to 160 with the batch.

The Beaner is certainly not a batch stove for wood, twigs. Bummer

One of the basic fuels we find at "Camp" is twigs right. If this stoves doesn't work with twigs why do they call it a "camp stove"???? :shock:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:33 pm

I don't know..Coleman calls their's "camp stoves" and twigs don't work! :lol: ..I think "camp stove is generic like calling a car a car..even if it isn't running... :mrgreen:

And..it's also an "ebay search" term...if they called it what it is..a POS..you'd never find it,right?

;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:57 am

realityguy wrote:I don't know..Coleman calls their's "camp stoves" and twigs don't work! :lol: ..I think "camp stove is generic like calling a car a car..even if it isn't running... :mrgreen:

And..it's also an "ebay search" term...if they called it what it is..a POS..you'd never find it,right?

;)

Good point, let's call it a camp stove also. Everyone go out and buy a Beaner Camp Stove and keep it in camp.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:03 am

youknow;
i've never built a wood stove the worked so poorly.
what a waste of time! i even built a kewl clip-on potstand for it. :oops:
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:33 am

Good point, let's call it a camp stove also. Everyone go out and buy a Beaner Camp Stove and keep it in camp.

maybe you can revamp it into a couple $25 potstands for STOVES... :mrgreen:

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:03 pm

Here is some interesting information on the burning of wood for fuel (from wikipedia)

This is because wood/plant biomass is made up of mostly carbon (and water); carbon came from the carbon dioxide absorbed from the atmosphere by the tree or grass while it grew through the process of photosynthesis, and the carbon returns to the atmosphere when the wood is either burned or left to decompose. It is true that in combustion, most of the carbon joins with oxygen and returns to the atmosphere as carbon dioxide, with a GWP100 of 1. But - if the wood is instead left to decompose through natural processes, the carbon still partially returns to the air - but in the form of the gas methane, which has a GWP100 of 21 - thus causing 21 times more damage to the climate over 100 years than the same quantity of CO2 does over 100 years. Only part of the decaying wood is released as methane; other parts stay within the soil and often improve it substantially over time. This criticism of the climate aspect of wood decay does not apply if the wood is used in a process that fixates the carbon, such as in building materials, or, in the case of sawdust, in particle board, as these media sequester carbon unless or until they are allowed to decay or are consumed by fire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_pellet

In the above paragraph they give the numbersGWP100 of 1 and GWP100 of 21 so here is an explanation of what the GWP stands for. (from wikipedia)

Global warming potential (GWP) is a measure of how much a given mass of greenhouse gas is estimated to contribute to global warming. It is a relative scale which compares the gas in question to that of the same mass of carbon dioxide (whose GWP is by convention equal to 1). A GWP is calculated over a specific time interval and the value of this must be stated whenever a GWP is quoted or else the value is meaningless.

Return to “Stove Testing and Reviews”