THE BEANER - WorldStoveUSA

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
zelph

THE BEANER - WorldStoveUSA

Postby zelph » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:57 pm

The Beaner stove will be coming to me soon via a stovie friend. I received the instructions today via email and they will provide some pre testing information.

This is only to advise I will be giving the stove a thourough going over. Wood stoves are my favorite ;)

To start off. The company wants everyone to get their own pop can to cut up to surround the stove. It also acts as the liquid fuel resevoir when used as an alcohol burner. They suggest using a cafeteria style knife that has serrations on the end. Yes, cut the top off with a cafeteria style knife. I hope it gets more technical as we go along.

Price for the Beaner on ebay is $49.95 + $7.00 shipping

I'll add more info tomorrow concerning instructions.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Re: THE BEANER - WorldStoveUSA

Postby realityguy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:25 pm

What..You didn't buy one? I guess I'll have to go find some stainless tubing thing-a-ma-bob and make one.It appears those stainless coffee mugs(TS) are about the same thing...$50???? :roll:

Okay..I'll sugarcoat it..What a wonderful lightweight stove you can hang off your pack!..even comes with a 50 cent carabiner! :DB: Woo Hoo! :DB: This is the perfect stove for those that don't care to own a drill or attempt to ever use one!You can save tons of money on fuel by using locally acquired free burnable "biomass"(Insert "twigs and tiny sticks" here).All the money you save on fuel will soon even pay for the stove!How about that! :o
We will even include instructions on making your own windscreen and potstand, thereby adding the "personal touch" to your stove!As long as you have a serrated knife,lots of bandaids and can follow instructions somewhat,this task will be relatively easy for anyone to complete their stove so you can use it!Make sure you buy one soon because this is a limitted production item and you don't want to be the only one in America without one!! :cry: You can get it on ebay! :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:11 pm

Good sugar coating there RG :D .....In the biomass burn mode they want you to start off by practicing with "Wood Pellets" see there, more sugar coating, start off with nice clean fuel, don't get your hands dirty with woodland gathered fuel. We start off clean!!!!

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:35 pm

:roll: I guess that's why I'm "realityguy"..I'm not really into sugarcoating things..especially a Beaner Stove..appropriately named..... :lol: ..appears to be a lot of "production" involved with making that stove..Let's see,"cut the tube off and drill holes"..Yeah..that's worth $50! :lol: Does the thing have a bottom in it?
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:16 pm

The stove has not arrived yet so I cant describe it can't give dimensions.

Listen to this: The Beaner is a pyrolytic, multi fueled camping stove. "Pyrolytic" means that rather than burn the fuel directly the Beaner's design converts the fuel to a combustible gas. The gas is then consumed to provide heat for cooking.

When using biomass (wood shavings, pine needles, wood pellets, sticks and twigs, nut shells, etc.) the Beaner will pyrolyze the fuel, consuming anything that can be turned into gas, but leaving charcoal behind.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:57 pm

No bottom,just a tube with holes in it..inner wall for a beer can stove,won't work right without the beer/soda can..
Instructions:
http://worldstove.com/wp-content/upload ... ctions.pdf

Technical Information:
Adding fuel: Top fill. Not batch driven, can add fuel while cooking.
Biomass feed rate: 100g = 42 minutes of cook time
Alcohol: 29 ml = 22 minutes of cook time
Weight: 244 g / 8.6 oz
Measurements: 134 mm (height=5-1/2") 51 mm (2"diameter)
Weight of stainless steel pot stand: 5.7 oz
Weight of windscreen: 0.1 oz

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:32 pm

Isn't that the best.....furnish your own and hope your can is the right size. feedback on ebay shows one customer said the cans in the UK don't fit or something to that effect..

What were going to see is a tube with holes in it about 5 inches in length/height.

A pot support will have to be made 2 inches taller than the stove. A 7 inch tall pot stand. The center of gravity is not going to be on our side for maintaining a stable setup.

In the alcohol mode we are going to have to be able to light the stove about 3/4 inch from ground level. A match will have to be put through one of the holes at the base of the pop can. I can foresee difficult times ahead to determine if the stove is lit when lighting during daylight hours. Once the stove is lit at it's base you have to wait 20 seconds and then light one of the top 3 holes. Caution is suggested to keep your head away from the top of the stove at this time. Oh!!!!My!!! it must ignite with an awful strong PhooooofSwooosh!!!!!

In the wood burning mode we see that lighting a piece of paper in the stove is necessary for preheating the stove prior to filling with twigs. I'm beginning to see "Fiddle Factors" They state it's not a batch stove so I suspect one filling is not going to be sufficient to boil 2 cups of water. :geek: So, our hardware cloth pot support is going to need a fuel opening to feed the stove. I see a need for being careful not to poke a twig into the pot support or else down goes the top heavy setup.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:48 pm

I picked up a stainless bottle for $2 today that is slightly larger and probably will work with a 24oz beer can just fine.Even with the beer can I'm looking at a TOTAL cost of about $3..or $5 if it's a heinie...and I get the beer as a bonus! :mrgreen:
I should get longer burns,less fiddle factor feeding the thing,and hotter fires,for only 1-2 oz more or less...and no free advertising written on the stove.
Basically..for $50 you are buying a popcan stove liner! :lol: ..and another $6 for the popcan and 20 cents(or less) of hardware cloth.
I think the other $50 is for BS advertising...What a crock at the website about the "pyrolyzing" and "carbon negative"(ashes)..Just my opinion..and not this website's... ;)
Actually..I may just leave it as a $2 waterbottle and not waste my time making one... :lol:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:57 pm

The guy from the UK said the cans don't fit there and he couldn't get it to work..gave him a positive :o ??.. :lol:
The last person gave a neutral and "the price needs to come down!" N-S-! Sherlock!

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:29 pm

Zelph;
when you get your hands on that thing i'd like a detailed description of it, (dimensions, hole size and spacing), if you don't mind.
i don't think much of it right now, but i'll still build one and see how it works. it'll only waste about fifteen minutes of my time. ;)
Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Return to “Stove Testing and Reviews”