MSR Pocket Rocket and Brunton Stand

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
DarenN

MSR Pocket Rocket and Brunton Stand

Post by DarenN » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:38 pm

i had to test the Pocket Rocket on the Brunton stand, just to compare.

tested in the kitchen.
4.25" round x 3.5" deep aluminum pot without lid.
no windscreen.
boiled 2 cups of water in 2minutes and 20seconds.
canister was weighed before and after each test.
fuel usage was 11 grams per boil. (equivalent to 18ml of Methyl Hydrate).
stove and stand together weight, 6.9ounces. 197grams.

Daren..........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Re: MSR Pocket Rocket and Brunton Stand

Post by zelph » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:24 pm

That amount of fuel seems to be on the high side. I can only compare it to the canister Ring of Fire that used 7.5 grams at 7.5 min.

Looking at the comparisons of canister vs meth. hydr. usage we see that an alchy stove is more efficient, right? (a stove that uses 1/2 oz/15ml of fuel)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:35 pm

zelph wrote: Looking at the comparisons of canister vs meth. hydr. usage we see that an alchy stove is more efficient, right? (a stove that uses 1/2 oz/15ml of fuel)
I've read and heard that iso-butane canister stoves put out a lot more heat than alcohol per weight. So if one can boil water on 15ml of alcohol or 18ml of iso-butane is it safe to assume that either the canister stove isn't very efficient or alcohol stoves can be more efficient?
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:38 pm

yes; if we are splitting hairs, the alcohol burners are more efficient. but we have to take into account that the P/R boiled in almost 1/4 of the time an alcohol burner does. another consideration is the possibility that if the P/R was run at a lower output (i ran it full blast), it may boil at a longer time on less fuel. an observation: reaching across the top of the pot was too hot for the naked hand. a lot of heat was wasted away from the pot, due i suspect, to the high velocity of the flame. a larger diameter pot may also assist.

the more i think about this, the more i think it was a bad idea to try and compare stoves that use different fuels. Zelph, you and i proved that 18ml of Methyl Hydrate is equivalent to 15ml of Denatured Alcohol in available heat potential. i sent you several burners that would boil on 18ml of M/H that you found would boil on 15ml of D/A. i jokingly called this the 'Neufeld Principle' so that we here, stove builders all, would be able to compare our stoves even across the border. now here i am throwing yet another type of fuel on the fire, and one that we can't even measure by volume to boot.

(aside: Zelph how much does 15ml of D/A weigh in grams?)

a while ago i did a fuel usage comparison between several white gas stoves. the best one i have burned 23grams of fuel in 10 minutes at full blast (including priming fuel).
zelph wrote:Looking at the comparisons of canister vs meth. hydr. usage we see that an alchy stove is more efficient, right? (a stove that uses 1/2 oz/15ml of fuel)
when you say "alchy stove" do you specifically mean Denatured Alcohol? or do you include Methyl Hydrate in the definition?

Daren.......

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:08 pm

(aside: Zelph how much does 15ml of D/A weigh in grams?)

a while ago i did a fuel usage comparison between several white gas stoves. the best one i have burned 23grams of fuel in 10 minutes at full blast (including priming fuel).

zelph wrote:
Looking at the comparisons of canister vs meth. hydr. usage we see that an alchy stove is more efficient, right? (a stove that uses 1/2 oz/15ml of fuel)

when you say "alchy stove" do you specifically mean Denatured Alcohol? or do you include Methyl Hydrate in the definition?

Daren.......
15ml weighs 15 grams

alchy stoves include Methyl Hydrate :)

The 'Neufeld Principle' Rocks!!!! we made it happen :mrgreen:

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:23 pm

so.
we can boil 2cups of water with 15grams of alcohol in 7-10 minutes.
or.
we can boils 2cups of water on 11grams of isobutane in 2.5 minutes.
but.
the problem of customizing the packed fuel load remains. there are only a couple of options in canister sizes.
and.
the canisters can not be refilled or recycled.

the jury is out.

Daren.......

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:16 pm

I've never purchased a canister stove, never will. I like making stoves :D The ring of fire is working ok as is. I need to test it in the field to see how it reacts to real world conditions.