Esbit stove

Give results of stoves tested. At least three test burns made in succession using 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol and 2 cups of water. Give any and all additional conditions that exist during testing.

Stoves bought retail and Do-It-Yourself stoves. Everyone is welcome to post their results and post comments.
oops56

Esbit stove

Postby oops56 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:25 pm

Well i got lots them esbit stoves the little and the big military ones. Most say they are good lite weight stove and they have use them on long hikes also some say not good for anything.
The hex stink tox stink esbit just a little.I thought i try one just to see what was what well burn time 5 min. 15 sec. 16 oz. water 201F.now that not bad also just befor it gets low could put a few twigs if need be.Oh the first test was the round ones just now tried the sq. ones stink bad burn time13-1/2 min. and it made a boil.use it all up

Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Re: Esbit stove

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:50 pm

Thanks for the info on esbit tabs/cubes.

So you say they stink!!!!

Anybody else out there got an opinion on esbit?

While cleaning out my garage I found my box of esbit cubes :) I'm going to try them out on my recent design of a Volcano Stove.

Not looking forward to the "stink" :lol:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:00 pm

They work buy PEEYEWWW :|
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:55 pm

Oh My!!!! Hexamine and Trioxane really stink to all get out. No wonder the military had so many casualties :lol:

Last week I burned one esbit and it made my garage smell bad for a few hours. :roll:

I have one of those esbit stoves. It came with a alcohol burner I purchase many years ago when I first came out with the StarLyte stove. Some guy on ebay did a copy of it and was selling them :roll: I had to see one up close :mrgreen:

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Sat May 04, 2013 1:27 pm

Yep. I tried one of those esbit fuel cubes and stank up my garage quite a bit. I think a better use for those things, especially the big stoves, is to use it as a wood stove. I've seen on Youtube use them with those Altoids tin stoves which I think its kinda neat although I haven't tried it myself yet...

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat May 04, 2013 7:26 pm

Just yesterday I saw one of those folders on ebay that was copper plated. they said it was rare to find one that way. It was at a surplus military seller. Iwas tempted but didn't succumb. :mrgreen: I read all the time there are lots of esbit users. They might have B.O. bad enough on the trail that the smell of the esbit is masked ;) :mrgreen:

Return to “Stove Testing and Reviews”