Entry For March

The stove creations of Oops56 and a Collection of Vintage Stoves of the Past
cruiser

Re: Entry For March

Postby cruiser » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Thanks Ridgerunner ... for the welcome and the info.
I saw his "out of office" on his forum after I posted this reply.

Cheers.

cruiser

I got an "F" in Chemistry

Postby cruiser » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:08 pm

I know zelph is out walking around but figured I'd post this question as it was burning a hole in my brain.

As I am reading about methanol and platinum catalysis I am finding myself surprised by how many things (including various metals) can react with methanol and ethanol at temperatures as low as 75 degrees F.

So I started poking around here to see if there were comparisons of the effect of different metals in stove construction but I don't see much other than reference to conductivity and thermal feedback ... and a thread from zelph about a little red stove with a mesh flame diverting cone-thingie. I am thinking on the lines of: Would replacing the starlyte's SS screen cover with a copper mesh or platinum mesh, or placing a layer of reactive mesh under the fiberglass layer, have any effect on performance?

I think this paper is what got me wondering/bumbling along these lines: http://web.anl.gov/PCS/acsfuel/preprint ... 6_0124.pdf

Any ideas or thoughts .... or is the application of an ultra-light camp stove on such a small scale that it is a waste of a thought. I have lot of those. At least that is what my wife tells me.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:54 pm

Cruiser, one never knows until they experiment. Give it a try and let us know what you come up with. I am pretty sure Zelph's has not put anything on the inside bottom on the starlyte burner .
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:53 pm

Very interesting my dear Watsoncruiser :mrgreen:

The report gets confusing :? but ths end results were interesting. I need to read on a little more from one of the sources given:

S.C.
Gebhard,
B.W.
Logsdon,
and
S.W.
Cowley,
"The
Decomposition
of
Methanol
Over
Supported Palladium and Platinum
Catalysts",

manuscript
in
preparation

I may add a catalytic heater to one of my StarLyte burners just for the sake of stove science and see what happens. :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Oops56 Creations and Things”