How to fine tune a penny stove

The stove creations of Oops56 and a Collection of Vintage Stoves of the Past
DaddyMnM

Re: How to fine tune a penny stove

Postby DaddyMnM » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:11 pm

I've made penny stoves that work well too. But I agree with Oops with regard to this particular stove made from Hienie can's being junk. I believe I followed the plans as directed, but It didn't seal well and it is easy to see why. Also, the designer claims that it primes well by fueling the top and lighting it. That didn't work too well for me. Zleph, I did not notice any particular problem with the edge bending but I didn't keep that stove long, and I don't let the outside can open to the top anymore.

This penny stove got a lot of exposure on the web, but is not as good as most of the designs posted in this blog.

http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/stoveinstruct.html

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:25 am

DaddyMnM wrote:I've made penny stoves that work well too. But I agree with Oops with regard to this particular stove made from Hienie can's being junk. I believe I followed the plans as directed, but It didn't seal well and it is easy to see why. Also, the designer claims that it primes well by fueling the top and lighting it. That didn't work too well for me. Zleph, I did not notice any particular problem with the edge bending but I didn't keep that stove long, and I don't let the outside can open to the top anymore.

This penny stove got a lot of exposure on the web, but is not as good as most of the designs posted in this blog.

http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/stoveinstruct.html

I made a penny stove hybrid. First time I fired it up it Pooofffed on me. Hole was not covered properly :roll: I made a batch of them and gave them away here for the Mystery tool thing. The hole cover was attached via a fine chain. Has anyone fine tuned one of those givaways? :lol:

I have found that light guage pop can aluminum that has it's edge exposed to flame will melt or deteriorate quickly because of having the flame directly on it. The penny stove has a flame that shoots directly to it's thin edge sticking up. I would think that specific spot deteriorates quickly and deforms.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Allen

Postby Allen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:46 am

Penny stoves are so popular among new stove builders, because they are pretty
easy to make. You don't have to muck with an inner wall, and there is a lot
of building documentation on the Web. The name "Penny Stove" appeals to people too.

I think that the "Poofing" that Penny stoves are noted for is caused by making
the filling hole too big. I would use 3 smaller holes placed close together.
Also it really helps to use a little bit of Fiberglass insulation in a Penny stove.
You also have to use an older Penny. Pre '81 I think. Something about the copper content.

Cheers!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:54 pm

You also have to use an older Penny. Pre '81 I think. Something about the copper content.

Your right Allen, the newer pennies are junk and i have deformed a few of the on a penny stove. :o
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:04 pm

zelph wrote:I made a penny stove hybrid. First time I fired it up it Pooofffed on me. Hole was not covered properly :roll: I made a batch of them and gave them away here for the Mystery tool thing. The hole cover was attached via a fine chain. Has anyone fine tuned one of those givaways? :lol:

I have found that light guage pop can aluminum that has it's edge exposed to flame will melt or deteriorate quickly because of having the flame directly on it. The penny stove has a flame that shoots directly to it's thin edge sticking up. I would think that specific spot deteriorates quickly and deforms.

I kinda liked your hybrid design if it's the one I'm thinking of. The craftsmanship alone makes it fun to fire up. I would carry it before I would carry a Supercat.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:29 pm

Skidsteer wrote:
zelph wrote:I made a penny stove hybrid. First time I fired it up it Pooofffed on me. Hole was not covered properly :roll: I made a batch of them and gave them away here for the Mystery tool thing. The hole cover was attached via a fine chain. Has anyone fine tuned one of those givaways? :lol:

I kinda liked your hybrid design if it's the one I'm thinking of. The craftsmanship alone makes it fun to fire up. I would carry it before I would carry a Supercat.

It's more reserved than the Supercat ;) and there's no wasted heat. Put the pot on and light.

Allen

Postby Allen » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:06 am

Super Cats stick to the bottom of My pots.
I've tried different hole sizes and placement patterns, but they still stick.
Other than that fire hazzard they're great little stoves.
Very fast and efficient!

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:10 pm

Allen wrote:Super Cats stick to the bottom of My pots.
I've tried different hole sizes and placement patterns, but they still stick.
Other than that fire hazzard they're great little stoves.
Very fast and efficient!

Wait till the stove is completely out befor you take the pot off.

File a V notch on the rim of the stove to break the seal that the fuel creates (it gets splashed up there when the fuel is boiling) Consider the notch an added jet :mrgreen:

Slide your pot of the stove and hesitate 2 seconds to burn off the fuel on the bottom of the pot.

Allen

Postby Allen » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:43 pm

Thanks Zelph!

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:55 am

Allen wrote:Thanks Zelph!

Let me know if it works for you. When I read the directions how to make one it forewarned of the pot sticking situation. I was ready for it. Kinda scary to have a stove fall off and still have alcohol in it and give off a ball of flame as it falls, yikes!!!

Return to “Oops56 Creations and Things”