Electroytic rust remove

The stove creations of Oops56 and a Collection of Vintage Stoves of the Past
oops56

Electroytic rust remove

Postby oops56 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:20 am

I was on you tube not a good one on how to make it. Here is a picture of a small one for small parts. In 3 or 4 dayes i will make video step by step how to do it. 1 of 2 pictures

Here yo can see the rust coming off

Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Re: Electroytic rust remove

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:23 am

Worth the trip to the library :lol: Sure beats Naval Jelly. Look forward to the video. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:27 am

Where did you learn to make the set-up? It sure looks like it works great. Thanks for sharing the info with us oops :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:48 am

zelph wrote:Where did you learn to make the set-up? It sure looks like it works great. Thanks for sharing the info with us oops :D

This big world called the internet its out there

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:40 pm

oops56 wrote:
zelph wrote:Where did you learn to make the set-up? It sure looks like it works great. Thanks for sharing the info with us oops :D

if anyone find directions for it, please post a link!

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:10 pm

DarenN wrote:
oops56 wrote:

if anyone find directions for it, please post a link!

Daren.......

Oops has cast ironitis, his info is scattered over the internet :mrgreen:

Here is a link toremoving rust from small parts
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:15 pm

i got un-lazy for a few minutes ;) and found a link with more complete instructions, plus a few pics.

http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoepp/e ... crust.html

i'll probably build the whole system and then find that, like so many other things, i can't get washing soda in Canadialand. :lol: one good sign is that the webpage i found is from Canada.

i read that the positive side is a 'sacrificial anode' and will be eaten away with use. i found this interesting in that when i had my sailboat (moored in the ocean year round) i had to "change the Zincs" at least every second year. yearly was better. the Zincs were there to be a sacrificial anode to the electrical curcuit created by the onboard electrical system. there was, for a while, a boat in our marina with a poorly built electrical system that was eating up the zincs on about 20 other boats in the vicintity. the owner was told he would have to leave the marina or fix the electrical system in his boat. i don't know why but his were the only zincs not affected by the poorly grounded system.

Daren.....

oops56

Postby oops56 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:18 pm

DarenN wrote:i got un-lazy for a few minutes ;) and found a link with more complete instructions, plus a few pics.

http://www3.telus.net/public/aschoepp/e ... crust.html

i'll probably build the whole system and then find that, like so many other things, i can't get washing soda in Canadialand. :lol: one good sign is that the webpage i found is from Canada.

i read that the positive side is a 'sacrificial anode' and will be eaten away with use. i found this interesting in that when i had my sailboat (moored in the ocean year round) i had to "change the Zincs" at least every second year. yearly was better. the Zincs were there to be a sacrificial anode to the electrical curcuit created by the onboard electrical system. there was, for a while, a boat in our marina with a poorly built electrical system that was eating up the zincs on about 20 other boats in the vicintity. the owner was told he would have to leave the marina or fix the electrical system in his boat. i don't know why but his were the only zincs not affected by the poorly grounded system.

Daren.....

You can use baking soada also in a few days make a video how i made mine.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:34 pm

oops56 wrote:You can use baking soada also in a few days make a video how i made mine.

yep. read that. but it takes longer.

DarenN

Re: Electrolytic rust remove

Postby DarenN » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:36 pm

Oops, i gotta say thanks for bringing up this topic. i owe you a beer. :D

a while ago i had a fire in my shop and i had thought i would just have to throw all these rusty tools away. this morning the pliers looked even worse than the side-cutters, and were frozen shut. now they work just fine, and look great. :mrgreen:

for these small pieces i used a ~1quart plastic tobacco can. for the anode i made a coil of rebar tie wire that spirals up the inner wall of the can from bottom to top. the pliers were hung from a 1/4" wooden dowel and another piece of wire was just shoved in under the rubber handle, at the hinge, for the cathode lead. the solution is baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) that was heated in the oven at 300* for an hour (read about this) to turn it into sodium carbonate. the power supply is a 5volt, 120mA battery charger from some long forgotten cordless tool. total time in solution was about three hours, and final cleanup was too simple to mention. just wire brush under running water. sprayed with WD-40 to dry it off and wiped done with 3in1 oil.

i'm going to be able to save a lot of tools with this system.

Daren.........

Return to “Oops56 Creations and Things”