Raising A Deer Tower Stand

zelph

Re: Raising A Deer Tower Stand

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:15 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
Any signs of deer around your stand yet?

I was back there today. I saw deer, coyote, and rabbit tracks. I jumped two rabbits in the process. We are still trying to figure out the best way to get the tower level and untwisted :o

All good signs :D

Go over to Stumpjumpers "Man Barn" and get a 4' carpenters level, the longer the better. Go up into the stand and place level on floor to determine what corners need to be raised. You might find it easier to place shims on the floor and apply new 1/2" sheathing to level it off instead of working with the support legs of the tower.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:37 pm

I wish it was that simple Zelph. The problem is the tower box is kind of twisted on the legs to the point that two of the legs are slightly angled inward . We are considering jacking a corner up, loosening bottom bolts In the cross trusses and repositioning the legs and then reattaching the braces. We also thought about running the tow strap through the windows in the corner of two perpendicular walls and try using the four wheeler to reposition the house on the legs. :ugeek:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:11 am

Looking at the photo we see 2 boards attached to the base of the 4 uprights. Remove the bolts from one end of the boards. See if the uprights will sping free. If not remove all the bolts. That should get the twist out. If not, get a 4-wheel drive vehicle down there with a hitch and cable to pull on it a little to get the legs to spring back to norm. If that don't work go to plan "z" :lol:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:52 pm

Another project that ties in with the hunting tower ;) I had a 55 gallon drum sitting around that I picked up at a yard sale for $3. I wanted to put it to use to keep the better half happy. I already made one into a burn barrel so I decided to make the other one into a deer feeder. An easy project plus I had everything I needed on hand :DB:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:19 pm

I think it looks great even though it's hard to make out what it is...camo really works well :mrgreen:

The midget buck on the left has come in for lunch :hungry:

What are the chains for?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:02 pm

This is a gravity fed feeder. There are three holes 1 1/2" cut in the bottom. The chains go thru the hole and hang and swing from a bolt on the inside of the barrel. When wildlife nudges the chains, some corn will fall out until it jams back up and is nudged again. I understand they learn quickly :lol: I set the feeder up this afternoon but still need to get corn. I had eight deer come in this evening to a corn stocked dog feeder ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:38 pm

I'm shaing the chain boss, I'm shaking the chain :lol: remember that movie?

With that many deer out there you'll have to restock the barrel every two days :o

Gee, they're close enough to use a 222 magnum with head shots. They'll drop right there where they stand. 8-)

Are you up in your blind taking the photos?

Where is your snow? I'm feeling mighty ripped off. You getting all the warm weather to have melted all the snow....what a rip :lol:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:39 am

Coolhand Luke! Just watched it on the tube last week....lol
The picture are from right out my back door by the table we broke bread together ;)
Right now, I have a set of three chains hanging from each hole to fill the hole space and minimize the amount of corn that falls when nudged. I can add or remove a chain from each hole to get the output where I want it. As far as the deer tower, we are going to spread some "no plow" deer vegetation seeds in the property around the tower.

The snow is mostly gone but I still have a layer of ice on the part of my driveway that is shaded by pine trees on the south side.

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Hey, I had a group come into my yard yesterday :D

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:05 pm

zelph wrote:Hey, I had a group come into my yard yesterday :D

They are neat to watch until they start eating your flowers :o

Return to “DIY Odds and Ends”