Life straw modification, ideas needed to fill cups.

english stu

Life straw modification, ideas needed to fill cups.

Postby english stu » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:19 am

I read that by using a Ziploc tightly around the Straw and squeezing you could fill cups and pots. I have tried that without much success.
I am think along the lines of pushing the filter of the straw through a membrane on a bottle/bag,something like a stretched rubber glove,bike inner tube,condom!. Just wondered if there were some good ideas out there.

Ridgerunner

Re: Life straw modification, ideas needed to fill cups.

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:58 pm

English Stu, I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to do. Maybe vacuum seal food into cups? I have used the tiny plastic straw from a kids juice box to suck(vacuum seal) the air out of a zip loc bag for freezing with mixed results. I don't think the plastic bags are designed for vacuum sealing. Your best bet is to pick up a used foodsaver or comparable sealer and get a roll of the thick plastic bags to get the job done right ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Re: Life straw modification, ideas needed to fill cups.

Postby zelph » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:43 pm

At times I've seen very small rubber bands that are as big as my little finger. Those would be nice to have to seal tight the ziploc bag that you poke the straw through the corner. Take and secure the bag to the straw with the small rubber band. It should prevent leaking around the straw.

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-1 ... lsrc=aw.ds

"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “DIY Odds and Ends”