A cheap, light-weight cozy

BrokenAeroVT

A cheap, light-weight cozy

Postby BrokenAeroVT » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:22 pm

One way of saving weight is to find multiple uses for pack items.

I cozy my re-hydrated meals for 5-10 minutes. I use a cheap 50 cent plastic lid sealed bowl. I thought about using Reflectix for cozy material, but I found a lighter cheaper alternative.

There are two jobs Reflectix accomplishes. The bubbles inhibit conduction of heat, and the foil reflects radiant heat back into the source.

I always carry a wool knit hat with me camping whether the expected temperature calls for it or not. It's an insignificantly lightweight piece of clothing. Even in the summer, I find it useful in the cool of the morning before sunrise, when I'm just warming up for the day. It's just one of those items I carry with me to ensure I'm warm in my bag if the bag doesn't seem to be doing its job, or if I get wet. Most heat loss is through the head, so it's indispensable in all seasons as far as I'm concerned.

I find that my sealed bowl fits perfectly into it and wraps easily around it. There is far more insulating power in the thickness of the cap than in the bubbles of the Reflectix. This slows heat loss in the bowl, and water temperature stays closer to 100 C during the re-hydration process. Sometimes it takes 20-25 minutes to adequately re-hydrate shrimp or the beans of my chili , so the wool cap is particularly helpful to keep temperature high in those instances.

To handle the radiant energy, I found that a large bag of Cheetos with the inner foil lining is excellent. I just slide the hat wrapped bowl into the bag and fold it over. Putting the entire assembly under my sleeping bag doesn't seem to hurt either.

The only added weight to my pack is the miniscule weight of the foil bag, which I just fold up and store in my bowl when not in use.

Although a tasy bag of Cheetos :dinner: costs around $4-5, the bag itself is free--a much cheaper alternative to buying a $14 roll of Reflectix or an $8.00 roll of windshield sun-shade (the cheap dollar store sunscreen is not bubble wrap). In addition, you don't need to buy a $7 roll of aluminum tape to hold it all together.

Hope you all find that useful. Just something I found practical for my set up.

Ridgerunner

Re: A cheap, light-weight cozy

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Useable ideas BA. I always take a fleece hat(not as good as wool) and used it for years as a cozy. As far as reflex bubble wrap, you can find it for pocket change at yard sales and thrift stores if you have the time to look. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

BrokenAeroVT

Postby BrokenAeroVT » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:22 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Useable ideas BA. I always take a fleece hat(not as good as wool) and used it for years as a cozy. As far as reflex bubble wrap, you can find it for pocket change at yard sales and thrift stores if you have the time to look. ;)

Well, it's certainly not original, but liberating.

I watched Tin Man's videos for quite a while, learning the art of ultralight backpacking and dehydration.

He shows you how to make a Reflectix/aluminum tape cozy. Wonderful, you think. So you go to the hardware store and find out it's $14 for a roll of Reflectix and $7 for a roll of aluminum tape. Then you stop and go wow, $21 for a cozy? But then you remember, hey, Tinny sells cozy's on his site way cheaper than that! I'll just buy one from him.

Hook, line and stinker.

Tinny doesn't want you to know people have been using hats as cozies. Then his sell doesn't work.

It the same for the SP 600 cup. He's selling a lid for it now for $8.00 and $3.00 shipping, saying "no one makes a lid for the SP 600".

Fact of the matter is, You can get a cheap 4" lid from the bottom of a Planter's peanut can, drill a simple hole and put a knob on it for less than $5, and you get a couple cups of deshelled peanuts for the trail to boot! :P

I saw a guy on YouTube use a Pringles bottom for the SP 300, I think.

So...not original coming from me, but liberating nonetheless. :DP:
Last edited by BrokenAeroVT on Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:12 pm

BA..Appears you fit right in here!.. :lol: ..You're frugal and constantly seeking cheaper alternatives to ridiculously expensive items.I think you'll find we make a habit of that;especially RR and I.. :lol: ..Any alternative product,method,or thrift store goodies that will serve the same purpose, we heartily endorse!... :mrgreen: Atta boy!

:DB: :DB: :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

BrokenAeroVT

Postby BrokenAeroVT » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:12 pm

realityguy wrote:BA..Appears you fit right in here!.. :lol: ..You're frugal and constantly seeking cheaper alternatives to ridiculously expensive items.I think you'll find we make a habit of that;especially RR and I.. :lol: ..Any alternative product,method,or thrift store goodies that will serve the same purpose, we heartily endorse!... :mrgreen: Atta boy!

:DB: :DB: :lol:

:D

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:18 am

Sometimes it takes 20-25 minutes to adequately re-hydrate shrimp or the beans of my chili , so the wool cap is particularly helpful to keep temperature high in those instances.

I can see why you would want to use a cozy for those foods. Nice choice of materials and explanation of how they can be used.

I recently saw that jasonklass sells mug/pot lids for $12.00. I'm doing something wrong here, I sell a stove with windscreen for $15.00 It goes to show you how some folks have a lack of knowledge as to what is going on around them. They are paying $12.00 for a lid, I can only shake my head in wonderment. At one time jasonklass sold Supercat stoves for $15.00 just the stove, nothing else with it. Well!!!!! I'd better start re-thinking my sales strategy. Begin spamming and higher prices, something that tinny and jason are good at. :mrgreen:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:05 pm

Update:

I purchased a small canister of doritos at Big Lots. The container is made of cardboard of a type. The bottom is food grade steel nicely prepared with a food grade rust preventive plating. It's just the right size for my SP600 mug. (gift. Im to cheap to buy one :o )
It makes an ideal lid. When I get a chance I'll make a video of how to make it. It's easy to make it concave so the moisture condensing on it's underside will drip back into the pot.

What a deal, a large amount of chips to snack on and you get a fee lid to go on your mug.

Thanks for the tip BrokenAeroVT!!!!

Mister Krabs

Postby Mister Krabs » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:14 pm

I used a fedex bubble wrap envelope for my cozy around my skidsteer kitchen. It works great, way cheaper than reflectix (free!) and a good way to recycle something that would normally be thrown away.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:07 pm

Mister Krabs wrote:I used a fedex bubble wrap envelope for my cozy around my skidsteer kitchen. It works great, way cheaper than reflectix (free!) and a good way to recycle something that would normally be thrown away.

Good one!!! I like "free" :D

parkinson1963

Postby parkinson1963 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:15 pm

A wonderful cozy material is one made out of those blue foam pads that everyone has bought. Using scissors and glue make one.

The best part is because it rigid it can be used separately from the pot, i.e place freer bag meal in cozy add hot water, wait, eat. This frees up the pot to make amazing hot chocolate with whole milk powder. This gives the benefits of have a nice bowl to eat out of and being able to use the pot for drinking out of.

Return to “DIY Odds and Ends”