DIY Ultra lightweight camping lantern

irrationalsolutions

Re: DIY Ultra lightweight camping lantern

Postby irrationalsolutions » Mon May 18, 2009 12:27 am

well it was just a thought.

what if you used something like the container skids mentioned for my cookset? that might work. you could cut part of it off and mount part of the lens there. that might work. i really dont know though.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:59 pm

Okay..found another solar light option for $5 at a thrift store(was 11.99 new,reduced,reduced,closeout at the same $5 wherever it was sold originally)..
GamaSonic Solar Light Model:GS34D..

This one has 4 bright light white LEDs,uses two rechargable batteries ..EVERTHING encased in the snap off top unit(black piece in my hand) that weighs 3-1/2 to 4oz...2-AA rechargable Ni-Cd.."1 day of charge will last up to 3 nights"..has an off-on slide switch by the LEDs and the nighttime photocell can be overridden by just covering it up with a piece of electrical tape!!!

How simple is that for a tent light?! :mrgreen: When you go back home,just snap it on top of the lenspanel/post like it's never been gone!IR,Talk the wife into a few of these!..she probably won't even miss a recharge unit or two while you're gone with it on the trail.. :mrgreen: ...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:18 am

that sounds like it may be a good way to go. i still havent had a real chance to play around with this yet. i started but had to stop and havent had a chance to get back to it. if you keep it up i wont have to play with it, youll have it figured out for me!
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:42 am

How simple is that for a tent light?! When you go back home,just snap it on top of the lenspanel/post like it's never been gone!IR,Talk the wife into a few of these!..she probably won't even miss a recharge unit or two while you're gone with it on the trail.. ...

Now that's easy!!!!! We all like dual purpose items ;) I think that's one of your "best" finds. I think I'll go out to a few thrift stores today :D Yesterday I got a new, in the box, 12v dc, 3 cup capacity cooking pot w/ lid. Paid $1.50 for it. It'll store easily in the trunk of my car for emergency use. :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:00 pm

I've got it outside today to give it a good charge;see what it'll do tonight.One problem I ran into..took the top off and found one of the original NiCd batteries had corroded out but I have the other 2-1.2 batteries from the other that are identical..so cleaned the terminal and stuck those in.Appears they go bad in the new unopened package...It did charge a little yesterday for about an hour..didn't look too bright.Now I know why.
I'll charge up the 1.2s,check the brightness..then see what it dows with the other 1.5s
The main circuitboard/led light unit is held to the upper case with a couple plastic pieces that you have to pry one back to pop that portion out to get to the batteries..don't know how long those two things will last but if one is careful,should be okay.
Hanging the light might be a challenge in a tent but a person could probably drill a couple small holes in the long sides, add a wire bail that flips down snug on one end so it might be able to be used as a stand also..tight enough to where it'll hold it's position or angle when hung in the top of a tent..hmm,something I'll play with..
Specs: says TWO super high bright LED..appears to be 4 of them..maybe spec sheet for a couple models.."solar powered by Mono Crystalline Solar Cell/2 Rechargable Ni-Cd Batteries/Operating time:1 night(with one day of suncharging)..but says in the paragraph above:"GAMA*SONIC makes solar lights that are brighter and last up to 3 nights with a one day solar charge!"..(Maybe talking about a different model.I'll find out)/Automatically switched on at night(as I said,has an on/off switch also by the lights)/3 options to use:in the ground(plastic stake) on a wall..hanging on a fence(with the base as shown)./Water resistant.....appears you can google "Gama sonic"..maybe find a dealer...I didn't check any deeper than that since I've got one.. :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:08 pm

Having good batteries in it was expecting too much :mrgreen: Make a small sac out of open mesh fabric and hang it from center pole.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:35 pm

I'm thinking this latest tent I'm making is going to have about a 6" loop of cord hanging from the vent-closer at the head of the tent..so a bail of wire might work better for MY purpose(light shining down towards the foot from slightly overhead at a book or map or the pack).The other tent may end up with about the same venting(but wider) and same closing system..if this one works right.In other tents,with just a large enough loop of cord hung from the ceiling,it was be easy to slip it through and hang it by a bail also.Maybe a 'w" shape on the end of the bail..gives me "feet" for self-standing,and a way to wrap the cord loop around the end of the bail for hanging the light ONE direction...
Oh..was I thinking out loud again? :o :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:21 pm

Sure make it easy on yourself!!!!!! :DB: :DP:

rik_uk3

Postby rik_uk3 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:50 am

These are fantastic value, remember, the price includes shipping. I clip these onto all sorts of kit, and there is an 'always on' switch. They last a good long time too. One of these clipped to the pole of my Hex 3 gives me all the night light I need in the tent.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1253
Richard
South Wales
UK

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:32 am

rik_uk3 wrote:These are fantastic value, remember, the price includes shipping. I clip these onto all sorts of kit, and there is an 'always on' switch. They last a good long time too. One of these clipped to the pole of my Hex 3 gives me all the night light I need in the tent.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1253

Nice link rik_uk3. I going to pick up 10 of these. Thanks ! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “DIY Odds and Ends”