DIY Ultra lightweight camping lantern

realityguy

Re: DIY Ultra lightweight camping lantern

Postby realityguy » Sat May 16, 2009 10:57 am

As I posted just above, IR..
I'm also going to add a switch to override the cell,otherwise they will be on all night as they discharge now in the dark.I think adding the switch will keep them more fully charged for the most part,and they won't need to charge nearly as much or as often.I figure I'd only need them an hour or so per night...don't see any reason why they wouldn't work in shady areas also if they maintain the charge....
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat May 16, 2009 10:50 pm

I'm working my butt off and you guys are having all the fun. really nice project you guys got goin :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 17, 2009 2:24 am

I charged up the light today and it's been 'on' for about 3 hours now.I can see to navigate around the room (16x16) and read up close to it(picture taken after the 3 hours)..should work fine in a small tent..using the original 1.2 volt 600mah batteries.I'm going to dismantle another when I have time and see how compact I can make the important pieces...maybe make it have a removable solar cell..since that takes up the most space...I can mount the batteries and circuit board right inside the top of the prism lens...manual switch on top instead of the photocell switch.Hmm..just thinking..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun May 17, 2009 12:01 pm

i would put better batteries in it from the start. but thats just me, i would want to have to worry about them. plus the better batteries would last longer if you wanted to use them for the camera.

i was thinking about it and the only thing i would worry about with making it more compact is sealing it. i would think that you wound want the still keep it water tight because of rain and humidity.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 17, 2009 12:31 pm

The batteries are the originals and I wouldn't be using those,be using the 1.5 volt ones which are brighter..but I still need to see how well they charge up.I need to make the case something like a jar that is watertight but still allows easy access to the batteries and have a female jack for the solar panel..with the male plug being on the solar cell wires..maybe some velcro on the back of the solar cell for attaching to the pack,tent,and lid of the removable light unit..with matching velcro in those three locations so i can charge the thing,on the trail(top of pack),in camp(on tent),or on the jar(anywhere I have both portions together).Been doing some thinking about it.
I've got some stuff keeping me busy for today(getting the gardens in for the year and some craigslisting)but might have time over the next couple days to get something done..hopefully...then I'll be out on the peninsula and around Olympic National Park for another week or more.Damn! :cry: When you gotta go,you gotta go(at least I tell the wife that.. :mrgreen: )

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun May 17, 2009 8:32 pm

i think it would be cool if you could get it to fit in something like an altoids tin.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun May 17, 2009 11:05 pm

The altoids is possible for everything but the solar cell;however I'm more inclined to keep and use at least half of the 360 degree prism to spread the light around the tent better,rather than a flat panel..mounted on the lid,so I can open it and retrieve the batteries out of it..I might build a third one like that. ;)

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun May 17, 2009 11:27 pm

what if you used something like the round altoids tin or the other round tins like lafesavers or york mints. if you mounted the light coming out the bottom the prisim or shield piece might fit around it. just a though.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 18, 2009 12:20 am

I tried mounting a lens so the light would come out the bottom,however it really cut down on the side light without the reflector in the bottom..why I bagged that idea.

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Mon May 18, 2009 12:25 am

getting back to the original topic. i think thats the better way to go the more i think about it. the solar landscape light is a good idea and i can see where it would work for some people but i think the first idea was great.

this is the draw backs i see with the solar one. first you have to be careful with the solar panel. if it breaks game over. second the problem i mentioned about the solar charger itself. where i hike im not in the sun enough to charge it. others like RG that are in the sun more its a good idea as far as that goes.

the think about the plain battery opperated led lantern is the weight. its just lighter. then i really dont think that the batteries are a problem. led lights dont hardle use any power. it is also smaller.

now like i said this is the way i look at it. and everyone has to hike their own hike. but for me i think the regular one is the way to go. that being said, i do intend to play around with the solar light idea myself. however, im going to make one of the regular ones to take with me.

Return to “DIY Odds and Ends”