DIY tarp tensioners

DarenN

Re: DIY tarp tensioners

Postby DarenN » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:40 pm

zelph wrote:Mason line being pure cotton and little stretch. Feels better than nylon but takes longer to dry if gotten wet etc.

it will also rot. especialy if it got wet inside the tubeing due to wicking.

poly line would be best. no stretch; no rot.

Daren.....
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:58 am

DarenN wrote:
zelph wrote:Mason line being pure cotton and little stretch. Feels better than nylon but takes longer to dry if gotten wet etc.

it will also rot. especialy if it got wet inside the tubeing due to wicking.

poly line would be best. no stretch; no rot.

Daren.....

It won't get wet, the area where the tubing gets tied is soaked with paraffin or boot oil no capillary action past that point. ;)
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

texron

Postby texron » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:42 pm

I know this is a few months old but did anyone try this? Looks pretty simple and looks like it will work well.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:16 pm

i made six of them for my Hennessy Hex Fly. i used one of those stretchy excersize things. all six of them have failed because the rubber tubing is too soft and the whipping cuts through it. i think that if i had used true "Surgical Tubing" i would not have experienced the failures.

Daren.........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Scoutmaster

Postby Scoutmaster » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:17 am

Another source of surgical tubing is wrist rocket (the slingshot) replacement tubing. I know Walmart carries them. You could probably make 4 tensioners from one package.

texron

Postby texron » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:30 am

Scoutmaster wrote:Another source of surgical tubing is wrist rocket (the slingshot) replacement tubing. I know Walmart carries them. You could probably make 4 tensioners from one package.

Great Idea!!! I thought the exercise tubing might be a bit flimsy. I'm going to try this, maybe this weekend.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:02 am

Most fishing stores sell surgical tubing,usually in 2-3 sizes..used for making weight snubbers for fishing for larger fish so the weight banging around won't lose the fish..or for river fishing for steelhead with 1/4" thick "dropper" lead.If the lead gets hung up on the rock,it releases that rather than losing the entire terminal gear and having to retie everything.Just slip in a new piece of lead to the rubber that is tied to a 3 way swivel so it hangs lower than the mainline.
You might also check the fishing area of wally's...
I tied up a half dozen of the tensioners out of surgical tubing and I think some exercise stuff..haven't tried them yet.
On the other hand..I got 3 feet of the good stuff at a garage sale the other day for a quarter! :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

texron

Postby texron » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:41 am

realityguy wrote: On the other hand..I got 3 feet of the good stuff at a garage sale the other day for a quarter! :DB:

Nice, Wally sells replacement slingshot tubes, might try those? Also sell fishing drop lines that are water resistant, I 'll use those to tie off the tubes. What did you use for the guy lines?

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:34 pm

doesnt lowes and home depot sell the stuff by the foot in the plumbimg section? well i know they do but i dont know how well that kind would work.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

texron

Postby texron » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:52 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:doesnt lowes and home depot sell the stuff by the foot in the plumbimg section? well i know they do but i dont know how well that kind would work.

I checked my local Lowes and no dice. Ebay has a TON of it though.

Return to “DIY Odds and Ends”