DIY tarp tensioners

DarenN

DIY tarp tensioners

Postby DarenN » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:49 am

over at BPL one of the members posted this little tutorial on how to make tarp tensioners.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=19526

i only had about a foot of surgical tubing left laying around so i made two six inch ones. it took very little time and effort for good results. i like that! ;)

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Re: DIY tarp tensioners

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:19 am

Great Idea ! Thanks for linking us to Dennis' nice myog link, Daren :D Now I have to find some surgical tubing. :roll: On a side note: does anyone know where to get Notangle guidelines on the cheap like Speers uses for his hammock rainfly. It is 1/16" spectra core with nylon sheath, 275 lb breaking strength, highly visible bright orange. The stuff is stiff/waxy like and is much easier to work with. He sells it for $26/100ft. Seems like you could find it cheaper, don't know, have not ever seen it locally.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:54 am

spectra is pretty specialized line. i've only ever seen it in marine chandleries, and never that small. 1/8" is the smallest i've seen. my HH hangs on 1/8" spectra.

26 cents a foot doesn't sound like a bad price to me.

Daren.....

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:27 pm

maybe not but I can be tighter than bark on a tree when it comes to letting go of those hard earned pennies. :lol:
That's why I like to thrift...more bang for the buck ! :DB:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:32 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:

maybe not but I can be tighter than bark on a tree when it comes to letting go of those hard earned pennies. :lol:
That's why I like to thrift...more bang for the buck ! :DB:

i completely understand! :lol: i cut cheap paper towels in half because bounty half-sheets are too expensive. ;)

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:56 am

Ridgerunner wrote: does anyone know where to get Notangle guidelines on the cheap like Speers uses for his hammock rainfly. It is 1/16" spectra core with nylon sheath,

I'm not sure why you would need to put 275# of tension on a rain fly. I picked up a fluorescent roll of 1/16 braided nylon masons twine at Harbor Freight for less than $4 for a couple hundred foot roll. If you need stronger, double it up. :D
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:29 am

Vibe wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote: does anyone know where to get Notangle guidelines on the cheap like Speers uses for his hammock rainfly. It is 1/16" spectra core with nylon sheath,

I'm not sure why you would need to put 275# of tension on a rain fly. I picked up a fluorescent roll of 1/16 braided nylon masons twine at Harbor Freight for less than $4 for a couple hundred foot roll. If you need stronger, double it up. :D

Vibe, I have a roll of mason twine. What I really like about the spectra is how it is "tangle'free" almost , because it is kind of "stiff". and if it does get a little tangled up, it is easy to untangle. ;)

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:38 pm

thats a good link. i saw this a while back on hammockforums but i think this is easier to understand. i've been thinking about doing this myself but i havent gotten around to going to get the tubing.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:13 am

Good link Daren, thanks.

Mason line is good stuff. My preference to nylon.

Mason line being pure cotton and little stretch. Feels better than nylon but takes longer to dry if gotten wet etc.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

SSDD

Postby SSDD » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:13 pm

That is a cool idea ;)

Return to “DIY Odds and Ends”