Mini-Penny

Skidsteer

Mini-Penny

Postby Skidsteer » Mon May 12, 2008 8:56 pm

Submitted for the May Stove of the month. Just for fun.

ImageImage

I don't use a penny though... :mrgreen:

It bloomed in 1:21. No wick. Here's the bloom sequence:

ImageImageImageImageImage

With a Heineken pot:

I remain skeptical of the inherent effeciency of the Penny stove design in general but...this one seems to do OK. Boil in 9:08 and flame-out at 10:13. Could probably cut that by a minute or so with a conventional pot, but I haven't tried it yet.

Not too bad.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Re: Mini-Penny

Postby zelph » Mon May 12, 2008 10:00 pm

Interesting design Skids. Do you put just enough fuel to cover the fill holes so that there is about 1/8 inch of fuel puddled to act as priming fuel? I'm trying to figure out how it starts up.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Mon May 12, 2008 10:16 pm

zelph wrote:Interesting design Skids. Do you put just enough fuel to cover the fill holes so that there is about 1/8 inch of fuel puddled to act as priming fuel? I'm trying to figure out how it starts up.

The disc in the photos is removable; Just like a penny. But it holds fuel because of it's bowl shape. Seems like just enough heated vapor sneaks out under the disc from the fill holes to to keep a flame going until the main fuel starts to vaporize. Weirdest thing is that when the stove finally dies out there is fuel in the disc still burning. Strange.

When I get time, I'm gonna freeze it to see how it does in cold temps. I figure it was worth posting because it may give someone a bright idea.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon May 12, 2008 10:30 pm

oh great! i'm hardly finished the Jolgia and you come up with something else just a little outside the box. ;)
Skids is an evil man and must be stopped! 8-)

are there jets holes under the outer rim? how many? what size? or is it cappilliary wall? is the stove really a year and a half old or is your camera date wrong? i like the dull polish finish. looks great!

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Mon May 12, 2008 10:41 pm

DarenN wrote:oh great! i'm hardly finished the Jolgia and you come up with something else just a little outside the box. ;)
Skids is an evil man and must be stopped! 8-)

are there jets holes under the outer rim? how many? what size? or is it cappilliary wall? is the stove really a year and a half old or is your camera date wrong? i like the dull polish finish. looks great!

Daren.......

Heh. Camera date is wrong. This particular stove is less than a month old, but I suppose I built the first version about a year ago.

It's a capillary wall kind of, no jets sorta. You have to cut slits in a redbull can to get it to fit in a wedding tin because they're the same diameter. I theorize that the fuel travels up the slits more or less. My first version of the PMS stove used a similar technique until I discovered the perfect inside can.
Skids

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 13, 2008 9:58 am

Weirdest thing is that when the stove finally dies out there is fuel in the disc still burning. Strange.

Once the bloom occurs there is no oxygen present in the center of the stove to burn. The same occurs with a Supercat, fuel is splashed/vaporized and is deposited/condensed on the bottom of your pot. When the pot is lifted off and oxygen introduced it lights up on the bottom of your pot. Same thing occurs with the Whitebox stove causing the flare-up when the pot is lifted off.

When I made the Vegetarian Stove is when I found out there is no oxygen in the center when the outer flames were burning. I had tried to put little wicks in the center of the stove but had failed to stay lit because of lack of oxygen. Kind of neat how we learn a little here and there about stoves. Stoves are fun!!!!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:02 pm

Skids, I like the A/T jet hole formation---nice touch ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:14 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Skids, I like the A/T jet hole formation---nice touch ;)

Thanks.

I'm famous for taking two hours to make a 15 minute stove. :lol:
Skids

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:11 pm

He makes them look like their chrome plated :D

Return to “Stove Of The Month Club”