Wood Stove Contest.."Plumber's Friend"

realityguy

Re: Wood Stove Contest.."Plumber's Friend"

Postby realityguy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:36 am

I'd check the weight "per foot" of that stainless pipe..might be heavy stuff.keep in mind that handicap railing has to be 2" diameter for code..and it probably weighs over a pound per foot.

Crackling sounds..are the cedar pieces burning in the stove..The camera was right in line with the front of the stove so it kind of echoes like a megaphone towards the camera. :roll:

Drafting..I'm sold on 2" chimney size.Dan,maybe you have a neighbor with old 2" round downspouts that needs an "upgrade" on one when he's not lookin'. :roll: :lol: You might want to check recycle places for building material...or smaller old Ace hardware stores,etc..
I have a friend whose houses I was working on that had a piece but he wouldn't part with it. :evil:

Another thing to think about..The other day I saw a couple "baking" sheets or for fough or something out of the "silicone" cooking materials..Strips of this around a chimney pipe might be an excellent insulator/sealer from a tent outlet.
I'm thinking of making a couple metal sheet pieces like funnels with 4" across holes that sandwich a sheet of the siliconewith a 1-3/4" hole between them and the material of the top of the tent's chimney outlet hole so the chimney pushed through the sheeting's hole.. creating a watertight fit around the pipe
Even the sheet of silicone by itself as a tent flap is flexible enough to do that and sewable.A person could probably silicone some outer edges of the stuff overlap the tent material..and sew the inner edge of it with a machine a few rows..or coat the entire area later.
Either way..the silicone sheeting might be the answer for "watertight gasket material" under chimney clamps otr other places where something flexible,stretchy,and watertight are needed.I went back to get a sheet yesterday at the the thrift stoe and somebody had grabbed them already.Gotta make my rounds of some local stores(4) this morning.Bye
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:49 am

the "silicone" cooking materials..Strips of this around a chimney pipe might be an excellent insulator/sealer from a tent outlet.

Good thinking, I like that idea. :D Too bad you missed out on the thrift store sheets :(
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:29 am

I wonder if it would work to seal the door if you cemented it with some rtv ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:50 am

I don't know what kind of heat rating one would need and if RTV would be enough.I know the local woodstove stoves carry some correct stove gasket adhesive..at about $8 a tube.I may have to break down and buy one.
I have lots of flashing in aluminum and galvanized,rolls of it.I may try making a chimney from the galvanized stuff.I figure I can make the wire loops out of bailing wire twisted around the downspout material for the right diameter size.
I got about 20% of my garage cleaned out..while the rest is stacked higher.. :lol: .I spent about two hours looking for any pair of duct crimpers I have... :roll: ..but at least something was accomplished! :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:43 am

The more I think about it, I have doubts how well the silicone is going to hold up to hot flames around a door seal. Fiberglass sealing material would be a better way to go. jmho ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:49 am

I couldn't believe how foamy that glue got that I used that came with the gasket material and labeled as "Stove gasket adhesive".It just foamed up, crystalized, and fell apart after letting it dry for 24 hours.The gasket is still attached in the door's edge..just a little loose on the very ends..where I had the most glue..
My main use of the silicone sheeting will be to prevent water from seeping into the tent under chimney clamps and places away from the stove with moderate heat..say 200 degrees.
I'll be making up a sandwiched galvanized sheeting type tent top with a 2-1/2" hole in the center for the stove pipe for the tipi tent that will make about a 9" diameter cone..2 of them.The tipi tent will be cut back to a 6" hole in the top material and a cone piece of the silicone will be placed over the tent material that will snug over the tent material with a 1-3/4" tight chimney hole stretched over the chimney and watertight.The two cones will be bolted/wingnutted together(one inside the tent,one outside) to sandwich the silicone sheeting tight around the bolts,creating a tent top with the tight chimney hole of silicone at the peak point.I'm using an Italian round bottomed camping cup (Taico)with a couple flanges/strap clamp as a chimney cap,completing the setup.
I just have to cut some flashing(paper patterns made),make a couple straps for the cap and poprivet those on..and find the silicone sheeting.The silicone might end up as only a muffin cup size on sandwiched between the two metal pieces adding some rubber washers under the wingnuts and bolts for waterproofing..if necessary to complete the project for cheap.
I figure that needs to be included in the "stove package".

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:17 pm

Sorry..no chimney/tent adapter yet..busy... :roll: Chimney sections are crimped on the other ends...Gotta dig down through hiking junk to my "stuff sack drawer"... Got a shovel? :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:07 pm

Too nice :D

Hey, super job on the stove................Well Done!!!!
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Stove Of The Month Club”