Wood Stove Contest.."Plumber's Friend"

realityguy

Wood Stove Contest.."Plumber's Friend"

Postby realityguy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:46 pm

Okay..that gimpy guy in Ohio dragged his butt out of bed so I guess I better do the same thing.. :lol: :oops:

The "Plumber's Friend" Stove..(sorry..I'm sick and not too creative for names today)

So called because the original Stainless steel stove body is a OGGI bathroom storage container for a toilet plunger I picked up at a thrift store for $8(pricey! :evil: !)( http://www.amazon.com/Oggi-Stainless-To ... B0001Y75LM )..but I get a nifty plunger and plastic holder to keep as a bonus! :mrgreen:
I had the corrugated steel for the cooking shelf,added aluminum sheet pieces behind the sides to contain the heat towards the top for cooking.The legs are long bolts with wingnuts that snug them to the body.Leg "feet" are aluminum "female sex bolts" that make the legs adjustable for leveling the stove up to about 3/4".The damper plate is 1/8" aluminum drilled to match holes drilled in the front and rotates for draft coverage.Top handle is a piece of 1/8" aluminum bar stock to hold the door closed.The spring handles are turned wire to reduce heat to the hands(we'll see) found on a lot of old wood stoves.
Chimney adapter..has been changed from a smaller 1" that didn't draft well,made it hard to light also..to a 2" galvanized downspout.The "stove pipe adapter" is a piece of the downspout that has been cut every 1/4" at one end to the curvature of the stove body.Every other flange is bent up 90 degrees under the shelf..a ring of gasket material installed,stuck through the hole,then the flanges hanging down are bent to snug the adapter tight to the stove...a common practice in adapting vent pipes to larger ones..should work fine.The shelf helps support that also by being there and snug.If needed,I can add a couple bolts/screws through the shelf,a couple bent flanges,and the stove body to solidify everything as one..don't see a need to yet.Unfortunately..the 2" galvanized 10' downspout now runs $16( :shock: )..one of the reasons it took me so long to finish the stove.However,I took out a home loan and bought one for the completion of this stove,never could find one at a thrift store.. :cry:
Front door is gasketed with some braided gasket material that was originally 1" in diameter..unbraided and rebraided into a 6 strand flat piece and glued in place($2 buy for the 1" stuff and a container of glue!).A continuous cut piece of chrome plated hinge allows the top 80% of the door to be dropped for loading while the ashes hopefully stay in the stove bottom because of the lip.
Stove weighs 3lbs 6.5oz.. a 6' chimney weighs 2lb 2oz with the simple directional cap(to keep smoke blowing back down in high winds..)..roughly 5-1/2lbs together.Main stove body is 14-1/2"x5-1/2" dia.,not counting the door handle..
Damper holes..are on the bottom half of the damper,should create a good complete controllable burn from the bottom front of the stove to the rear top at the chimney exit point.
I'm letting the gasket glue dry and will fire it up tomorrow for a video..Gotta go do some loggin' for some stove wood!Now..where'd I put my loppers? :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Re: Wood Stove Contest.."Plumber's Friend"

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:05 pm

Great job, Cuz! :D Will the legs come off and fit inside the stove for transport? What about the downspout? I like the grated platform for your cookpot. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:07 pm

Nice looking stove with all the stainless looking so pretty :D You're doing great being sick and all. You were told to stay in be and drink lots of fluid(non alcoholic) :roll:

Nice use of found parts, really looking good. Legs are a nice length to get up for easier loading and watching.

fire that baby up tomorrow and let us know how it burns/drafts and smokes :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:05 pm

The chimney adapter is permanent on the stove.The legs will come off and go inside.I plan on making the chimney cut down to 18"(or less) sections when I get a final length idea with crimping one end to go in the other...I was going to mention that..Right now it stands about 7' tall(on the stove) and should be tall enough for the tipi I have.
I figure I can fit 4 sections of stove of pipe in the stove but one would have to be cut down to about 13" to clear the bottom portion under the door.If I hang them out the front the length of the open door,they could be 18-1/2" long,matching the door length..which gives me about 6'-61/2'with some lap for the crimping.The stove stands 11" to the top of the burner plate,14-1/2" to the top of the adapter for the chimney(which could be cut down to about 13" and recrimped.If I cut the adapter down and recrimp..the stove package broken down would be 7" highx6 widex19" long with the pipes inside.at 5lbs-8oz or so.
After cutting the pipe,with 1-1/2" laps(probably more like 1" though),I figure the pipe will reach 75" high to the top when on top the stove.I do have another 3'-6"or so of pipe.It's pretty heavy gauge stuff;I was surprised at that! :o .I know of only the one local hardware place that still sells the 2" round pipe.I had to bite the bullet and buy it there... :evil:
Until I setup a tent with it,I hate to cut the pipe.I'm assuming I'd probably run the pipe as far away from the tent fabric as possible..and just bungee any excess pipe that doesn't fit inside to the outside of the stove body.Hmm. :roll: ...As far as that goes,I could add some kind of bracket across the top of the cook shelf and add a couple pieces of pipe there for packing,since the adapter sticks up anyway..keeping the package the same overall dimensions,but 1/4" longer on the 7" size..say 5-1/2" wide X7-1/4" x18-1/2".Those would be tightest possible dimensions with six sections of pipe around 18"(5,one shorter at 13") ;) another 3' of pipe would add about 1lb...figure about 3' weighs 1lb...if you want to figure weight of the chimney of this 2" pipe.I know I've seen lighter 2" DS in the past..but this should hold up a long time.
The grated plate is heavy stuff..I don't think it'll fail before the stove does,even if it rusts.I figured there might be a substantial heat loss out the sides of the grated top..why I added the side aluminum strips behind it to concentrate the heat through the top and towards the pot on top.Cooking on this won't be as hot as a regular hikng stove over "flames".It'll be interesting to see what it'll do though.I should cook eggs and bacon nice..guess I'll have to stick with that!Boiling water..I'm hoping it might do that with 12-15 minutes.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:54 pm

If you cut the pipe down, do you have a special tool that will crimp one end to fit in the uncrimped end and will it be air tight? Nice heavy-duty door setup. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:04 am

I have a couple different type of hand crimpers for vent pipe and downspouts.Generally the fit goes down to where the crimping stops and becomes airtight enough for stovepipe or vent pipe.You can pick up a pair of single slot crimpers for pretty cheap at home depot or lowes.I have the single ones and also a '5 blade gang' one that works better for larger pipes.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CoQ8wIwAA#

I'm pretty sure the single ones are under $10..Well I was close(near the bottom cheap 3blade one..works well)
http://www.thefind.com/hardware/info-blade-pipe-crimper

Probably cheaper where I mentioned above.A 5 blade one isn't necessary but saves time when doing larger diameter stove pipe(I've installed several wood stoves and use them to crimp black pipe).Of course I got my larger ones at a thrift store because they didn't know what the h*ll it was for,along with a lot of other specialty angle cutters for laminate,hole punchers for electrical work in metal studs,conduit benders,etc...I'm so happy pricers are naive about those types of tools,their use,and of course..retail prices :lol:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:17 am

Monday..raining cats and dogs out there..I might not get a video made today.. :roll: Even the cats took one short trip outside,did their business, and headed back in..ended up here..

I may be joining them shortly.. :roll:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:15 pm

I could put those cats to work for you. I nabbed 3 mice in the garage yesterday. It's that time of the year. :twisted:

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:21 pm

My cat is funny, she catches the mice out in the field and then brings them home on the deck and eats the upper half and leaves me the butt half :roll:
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:06 pm

I use to have a cat that would bring its fresh kill to the back patio door and then meow until we came to see what she had caught. Then she would eat it a leave me the gut pile unless it was a mouse. Those were like eating KFC...finger lickn' good!....no leftovers! :lol:

Return to “Stove Of The Month Club”