DIY tent stove entry

Ridgerunner

Re: DIY tent stove entry

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:21 pm

Today, amongst other thing, I did a second burn on this stove. I had left it outside the last two days with 20-30mph winds and am pleased to report it did not blow over :o This burn was done in Zelph's honor-TLUD ;)
ImageImageImage

"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:49 pm

Nice burn.

I like how you can pre-load the wood upright. Didn't realize that you could load it like that. Very nice.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:44 pm

sudden wrote:Nice burn.

I like how you can pre-load the wood upright. Didn't realize that you could load it like that. Very nice.

To be truthful, neither did I. Once I decided to do it on the fire shelf, I thought, why not use the base that has sides and use a piece of stainless wire fishing leader to wrap it once filled; making it easier to transfer to the fire shelf and then just lower the keg on top of it and fasten it up. ;) It worked well. :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:28 am

This burn was done in Zelph's honor-TLUD ;)

:oops: I'm so honored, thanks ;)
To be truthful, neither did I

Your sure had doubts about it working :o

You be careful now, you can get addicted to top lighting batch loads. Takes a little bit of time to get the load made but once it's burning your on easy street. :D

I'm impressed how your stove is drafting, I'm going to increase my primary air supply and see what happens.

Really nice how well your stove is working, congrats on a fine job. :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:58 pm

Your sure had doubts about it working :o

I had no doubts of it working. I did not realize I could just use the base for standing my fuel in. Worked great!

I know RG like the 2" exhaust but my stove is working great with a 1" ID pipe. It has to do with firebox size and air intake volume. I got lucky that all equations worked out for a good burning furnace. :oops: ;)

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:35 pm

Ahh, found the link I was looking for ;) Scroll down and notice how the chimney is broken down for packing....SWEEEEET!

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?p=342518

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:54 pm

Stove and pipes fit nicely on top of my mid size REI pack. Now I just need an appropriate tent and a new left wing. :oops:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:57 pm

It appears the chimney doesn't have any kind of joint,just rolled and held together with loops of wire around it.Maybe it overlaps a 1/2" or something..???..I would think with a "joint at the vertical seam,it couldn't be rolled.It would be nice to see a closeup of the vertical seam...if it has one.
RR..some of the auto shops carry lightweight SS in a roll as "shim stock"..say 5mm thick rolls by 6"x6'..You might try calling them and asking.it might be pricey...but available.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:09 pm

RG, if cyou look at the pics closely, it looks like there is about an inch overlap and there are wire rings that slide down the pipe to hold it in place. ;) Cuz, you know me better than that as far as checking auto shops for the sheeting. I will wait til I find it on the cheap....not a priority right now. ;)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:46 pm

Cuz..OUCH!

http://www.alexgs.com/product/precision ... 22147.html

:o

Google... stainless steel shim stock...

Yeah..I got mine at a thrift store for a buck or two..but all out now... :cry:

http://www.precisionbrand.com/ProductsC ... x?Catid=17

The one I had was that first one at .0005x60"..You want a real shock..click on that "buy-it-now" for that..
:o :shock: :o

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Stove Of The Month Club”