DIY tent stove entry

Ridgerunner

DIY tent stove entry

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:42 pm

Fortunately, I had all the materials gathered before my run in with bambi so I was able to "wing" it together the last few days. :lol: This is a stove that has been in the back of my mind for years but never brought to the forefront. Zelph used one of these kegs for a LARGE cook pot and JA made one into a tent stove so I finally got around to it once this contest was created. :oops: Living in a college town, the kegs were free ;) I have a little over seven dollars in the turnbuckles, exhaust sleeve, and brass hinges. The other parts were inhouse scrap and the exhaust was from a $3 old floor vac I found at a church sale. The stove itself weighs about 1.8lbs. or 29grams.The exhaust is another 1.75lbs. The ideal lightweight exhaust would be to roll thin sheet stainless but I didn't have it and could not locate any locally . Tools used to build were a drill, steel pop rivots,and a dremel tool. Here are some pics from the build process and video to come asap.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Need some door sealant :roll:
thanks for the youtube posting lesson guys ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Re: DIY tent stove entry

Postby zelph » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:50 pm

Nice stove RR. Great choice for the body.

Did you get the water to have small bubbles or a rolling boil?

How did the flu pipe react to the high heat?

Was the air control vent full open? Any changes in the works after firing up for the 1st time other than door sealer?

glad to se you up and about after deer hunting :mrgreen:

My keg cook pot worked great, boiled one gal. of water with 3oz alchy in the Fancee feest stove............on second thought it didn't boil, just the small bubbles formed on the bottom. I switched to an aluminum pot and got the boil :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:56 pm

zelph wrote:Nice stove RR. Great choice for the body.

Did you get the water to have small bubbles or a rolling boil?

How did the flu pipe react to the high heat?

Was the air control vent full open? Any changes in the works after firing up for the 1st time other than door sealer?

glad to se you up and about after deer hunting :mrgreen:

My keg cook pot worked great, boiled one gal. of water with 3oz alchy in the Fancee feest stove............on second thought it didn't boil, just the small bubbles formed on the bottom. I switched to an aluminum pot and got the boil :D

Actually, I took the water off after the 9 min video. It was very hot but no bubbles at that point. The flu pipe is heavy duty for UL purposes. No problem there. I omitted one of the sections for the video. The air control was fully opened and when I checked on the stove 90 minutes later, there was still a few thick sticks burning and the stove was completely black on the outside....nice! ;) I am guessing I can get longer burn times by closing down the air control vent and using more fuel. I am very pleased with the results thus far and sealing the door can only help. I would like to find some thin stainless sheeting on the cheap and that would save another 1.25-1.5lbs...guessing. Another change I want to make is to find some smaller turnbuckles like I've seen on screen doors.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:31 am

Nice stove.

I watched the video again and wonder if you would have much smoke out the door if you closed the damper down a notch. Maybe too much air in is overwhelming your chimney pipe? Closing down the air intake may cause air to enter the door for makeup air rather than smoke coming out.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:00 am

That might be possible, sudden. I wanted to run the first burn at full bore and bake off that nasty beer labeling. :lol: Now it looks like a stove. :lol:Image I am still going to put a door seal around the edge to see how that works. ;)

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:07 am

Now that looks like a stove :D Interesting to see the bottom of the door did not blacken. :?

I think if you light the load from the top you will have less smoke and also if the flue was larger diameter less smoke.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:06 pm

It's an aluminum body?Thick?..just wondering..
I could see making one just for a good excuse to drink the beer... :mrgreen: "Well Honey....Bplite said I needed this specific can!"(works with heinekin cans also.. ;)

Dang one armed bandits..I may have to finish my damn stove now! :evil:

I'm still thinking a 2" minimum stove pipe is needed for proper draw...unfortunately.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:16 pm

The keg is steel. I think the flu size is fine. If you didn't notice, there was no smoke coming out the bottom air control vents which would suggest the exhaust is not large enough. jmo

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:04 pm

Okay..I fixed/finished mine to a larger flue and entered the contest..I blamed you for that "entering".. :lol:
One thing I noticed with the small flue was trouble starting the thing,even paper just wanted to sit there and smolder.Maybe the difference between 1" to 1-1/2" is enough to fix that problem,I went to 2".Your stove might be more open on the front for firing it up which should help also.I'm up to 5-1/2" holes on the front of mine..see if that is enough also(can add more :roll: )...I can always leave the door open a crack when getting the fire going..what we have to do at home with our regular woodstove because it is so airtight.
I still have wet glue around the gaskets..I'll fire mine up tomorrow for a video..It's posted and entered. :DP:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:20 am

I like this stove a lot. Really great thinking on the damper design. I have a set of nesting cylindrical stainless medical containers with one great big one that I would like to try this vertical design with. I am totally new to tent stoves and will have to study up on flue designs, etc. and how to cut some very thick stainless steel. :geek:

Return to “Stove Of The Month Club”