DIY tent stove entry

cadyak

Re: DIY tent stove entry

Postby cadyak » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:47 pm

I am going to try and make one in the vertical configuration like yours RR. I am trying to decide whether to put the flue in the top or on the side as high as I can mount it.
Yours seems to draft well but I would love to have the whole top as a cook surface. My stainless container is 8" diameter by 12" tall with a heavy removable top. I am hoping that I can figure a way to have a grille that I can place in there about 3" down from the top as an option. I am also looking for something suitable for an aerated base.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:07 pm

Cuz, that is rediculous!!!! and Zelph lined his whole stove with the stainless foil. :o I will find it on the cheap somewhere. ;)

Cadyak, I put my exhaust on top because the top part of the Heine sides are not straight. Just get an elbow like Zelph used and cut a hole in the top side. ;) Good luck with your project and take pictures to keep us updated. ;) As far as an air intake for the base, if you see one of those mini weber grills at a thrift store with the rotating vent or you can make one if want. See how our minds work when we go thriftin' ? :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:53 am

I know RG like the 2" exhaust but my stove is working great with a 1" ID pipe. It has to do with firebox size and air intake volume. I got lucky that all equations worked out for a good burning furnace. :oops: ;)

Having it on top of the stove must be the determining factor in why yours id working. I can't get mine to work by going through an elbow.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:14 am

Found this link, may be helpful: http://www.stovetown.com/PelletStoveVenting.html

1. 45 degree elbows
2. 30 degree elbows
3. Horizontal distance
4. Vertical distance
5. Elevation where you live

All of the above variables will figure in when you figure the resistance EVL equation that has been adopted by most pellet manufactures has proven itself over many years. The equation is referred

To as the sum of Equivalent Vertical Length (EVL). All of the above mentioned venting restrictions have been assigned EVL values.

1. Each 45 degree elbow = 3 EVL
2. Each 90 degree elbow and Tees with cleanout = 5 EVL
3. Each foot of horizontal run = 1 EVL
4. Each foot of Vertical run = 0.5 EVL
5. Elevations above 3000 ft with an EVL of 6 or more must adapt to 4-inch diameter vent pipe.

If your installation were below 3000ft, we would need to do some math. The rule of thumb equations is that if the sum of the EVL is 15 or greater, then the pellet vent pipe would be increased to 4 inch diameter pellet vent pipe.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:21 am

Thanks sudden, lots of good information there on safety also. :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:22 am

good site sudden! Too much math for me. I like trial and error.....learn as I go along :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:44 am

Speakin' of trial and error..did you get that whistle workin' on your "kettle" or should we call you "One-Eye" now? :o

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:01 am

realityguy wrote:Speakin' of trial and error..did you get that whistle workin' on your "kettle" or should we call you "One-Eye" now? :o

try this one

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:10 am

I noticed you aimed it at the trees this time...

They could sell it as dual purpose by marketting it as the Ghillie Rocket! ;)

I saw an old japanese thermo bottle with an outside steel liner and integrated inner steel bottle..figured I could cut the outside layer bottom off to mount over a stove and drill some holes in the edges of the top outer bottle to allow the flames to escape..holds somewhere almost a liter(think it said 4/5sL).One could add a cooking surface on top and heat your water in the bottle while cooking your food there.I might go back and get it today.. :roll: ..Some plastic(handle ,spout,and lid)I'd need to hack off. :roll:
The flames would be controlled to cover the entire inner bottle with heat until they exited the top end.it might be heavy though..and tall for a cooking surface.Good capacity..something like 20oz+.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:13 am

realityguy wrote:I noticed you aimed it at the trees this time...

Momma didn't raise a dummy...twice was enough :oops: :lol:

Return to “Stove Of The Month Club”