Wood Burning Hunters Tent Stove type/VOTING

zelph

Wood Burning Hunters Tent Stove type/VOTING

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:08 am

This is going to be the Season Finale of the Stove of the Month Club.

Here are some general parameters for the contest:

weight..
packable?(verses car camper)
folds down?
boil water..
constant feed..or "one shot"..
ease and expense to make..(meaning anyone can build one or special tools)
purpose..heat or cookin'..
feed factors(have to remove the pot..or hole in the side)
simmer factor?..or all out burn...(adjustable heat)

If you have any other suggestions for parameters please add them.

When I get back from my weekend partying I'll post some pre-stove photos now that I have another camera ;)

If you have your stove ready or in the works and want to post some preliminary photos, please post.

Start a new thread with the name of your stove to include "wood burner" in your title.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Re: Wood Burning Hunters Tent Stove type

Postby realityguy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:24 am

You better add cost factor..pretty important.A $300 stove won't be as obtainable for people as one made for $10..but it'll probably look cooler!
:lol:
Since I'm a McGyver-thrift-store-stove-maker..there has to be some "equality" there with the "welders"... :roll:

How about some sliding scale points system for parameters..like "He gets an 8 for the huge fire ball!" :sci: :shock:

EDIT:..okay..I missed the "ease to make and expense" in the upper post..brain fart... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:43 pm

Since I'm a McGyver-thrift-store-stove-maker..there has to be some "equality" there with the "welders"... :roll:

What!!!!!! you don't have a welder!!!! I thought everyone hada welder :oops:

Do it yourself with the least amount of money spent to make it available for everyone to make. ;)

Stoves will be judged on all accounts and all features taken into consideration. If they are too cluttered and too many widgegidgets, not good ;)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:32 pm

H#ll Yeah..I got a welder..just not one for aluminum or stainless steel...Should I be making a 1/4" steel plate stove for backpacking? :roll:

I don't own any widgegidgets though..are they mandatory? :o
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:04 pm

realityguy wrote:H#ll Yeah..I got a welder..just not one for aluminum or stainless steel...Should I be making a 1/4" steel plate stove for backpacking? :roll:

I don't own any widgegidgets though..are they mandatory? :o

widgegidgets are good to use......just don't overdo :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:01 pm

Backpacking Finland
Attachments
Trapper Tent.png

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:30 pm

We have 2 enties for this contest and now it's time for the viewers to decide which one is the winner. Cast your votes in this thread :D

Ridgerunner's:

Fortunately, I had all the materials gathered before my run in with bambi so I was able to "wing" it together the last few days. :lol: This is a stove that has been in the back of my mind for years but never brought to the forefront. Zelph used one of these kegs for a LARGE cook pot and JA made one into a tent stove so I finally got around to it once this contest was created. :oops: Living in a college town, the kegs were free ;) I have a little over seven dollars in the turnbuckles, exhaust sleeve, and brass hinges. The other parts were inhouse scrap and the exhaust was from a $3 old floor vac I found at a church sale. The stove itself weighs about 1.8lbs. or 29grams.The exhaust is another 1.75lbs. The ideal lightweight exhaust would be to roll thin sheet stainless but I didn't have it and could not locate any locally . Tools used to build were a drill, steel pop rivots,and a dremel tool. Here are some pics from the build process and video to come asap.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Realityguy's:

Okay..that gimpy guy in Ohio dragged his butt out of bed so I guess I better do the same thing.. :lol: :oops:

The "Plumber's Friend" Stove..(sorry..I'm sick and not too creative for names today)

So called because the original Stainless steel stove body is a OGGI bathroom storage container for a toilet plunger I picked up at a thrift store for $8(pricey! :evil: !)( http://www.amazon.com/Oggi-Stainless-To ... B0001Y75LM )..but I get a nifty plunger and plastic holder to keep as a bonus! :mrgreen:
I had the corrugated steel for the cooking shelf,added aluminum sheet pieces behind the sides to contain the heat towards the top for cooking.The legs are long bolts with wingnuts that snug them to the body.Leg "feet" are aluminum "female sex bolts" that make the legs adjustable for leveling the stove up to about 3/4".The damper plate is 1/8" aluminum drilled to match holes drilled in the front and rotates for draft coverage.Top handle is a piece of 1/8" aluminum bar stock to hold the door closed.The spring handles are turned wire to reduce heat to the hands(we'll see) found on a lot of old wood stoves.
Chimney adapter..has been changed from a smaller 1" that didn't draft well,made it hard to light also..to a 2" galvanized downspout.The "stove pipe adapter" is a piece of the downspout that has been cut every 1/4" at one end to the curvature of the stove body.Every other flange is bent up 90 degrees under the shelf..a ring of gasket material installed,stuck through the hole,then the flanges hanging down are bent to snug the adapter tight to the stove...a common practice in adapting vent pipes to larger ones..should work fine.The shelf helps support that also by being there and snug.If needed,I can add a couple bolts/screws through the shelf,a couple bent flanges,and the stove body to solidify everything as one..don't see a need to yet.Unfortunately..the 2" galvanized 10' downspout now runs $16( :shock: )..one of the reasons it took me so long to finish the stove.However,I took out a home loan and bought one for the completion of this stove,never could find one at a thrift store.. :cry:
Front door is gasketed with some braided gasket material that was originally 1" in diameter..unbraided and rebraided into a 6 strand flat piece and glued in place($2 buy for the 1" stuff and a container of glue!).A continuous cut piece of chrome plated hinge allows the top 80% of the door to be dropped for loading while the ashes hopefully stay in the stove bottom because of the lip.
Stove weighs 3lbs 6.5oz.. a 6' chimney weighs 2lb 2oz with the simple directional cap(to keep smoke blowing back down in high winds..)..roughly 5-1/2lbs together.Main stove body is 14-1/2"x5-1/2" dia.,not counting the door handle..
Damper holes..are on the bottom half of the damper,should create a good complete controllable burn from the bottom front of the stove to the rear top at the chimney exit point.
I'm letting the gasket glue dry and will fire it up tomorrow for a video..Gotta go do some loggin' for some stove wood!Now..where'd I put my loppers? :roll:

Ridgerunner

Re: Wood Burning Hunters Tent Stove type/VOTING

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:49 pm

Just a reminder that all members of the forum are allowed to vote for the stove of the month. :D Seeing how we only have two entries and one of them is mine, I will abstain from voting. :oops: So, have at it ladies and gents; pick your favorite backpacking tent stove so we can move on to the next project. :lol: :DP:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:51 pm

Just a reminder that all members of the forum are allowed to vote for the stove of the month. :D Seeing how we only have two entries and one of them is mine, I will abstain from voting. :oops: So, have at it ladies and gents;

Ditto... ;)

Unfortunately they couldn't be more different in style/ideas..Also..If you want to write in Zelph's stove..be my guest..

Reasons why you like or reject the stoves is crucial to the advancement of technology of the homemade woodstoves here on BPlite..Don't worry,we are used to criticism! :o ..we're all married!

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Don't worry,we are used to criticism! ..we're all married!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Return to “Stove Of The Month Club”