My first entry...the FF Stubby

Knotty

My first entry...the FF Stubby

Postby Knotty » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:44 pm

Don't really know how these stove contests work but I wanted to share my latest design.

The Fancee Feest has been my favorite alky stove for a while (thanks Zelph) but I've been wanting a version that doesn't have a built in pot stand. I usually prefer the stability of a Caldera Cone or hardware cloth stand.

Introducing the FF Stubby. It's made with the same raw materials as the Fancee Feest (Fancy Feast cat food can, aluminum bottle, fiberglass cloth) but instead of using a tubular section cut from the aluminum bottle it uses the bottom. So it's an inverted bottom section of aluminum bottle inserted into the Fancy Feast can with fiberglass cloth sandwiched in between. Five fill holes are drilled into the center of the bottle's bottom and a sixth vent hole on the bottom's outer edge. The vent hole allows air to escape when adding fuel. Without it the alky tried to go down while the air was coming up out of the same holes and it was a standoff.

I was able to boil 16oz of 40F water in 40F air in 6 minutes and the stove flamed out after a little more than 9 minutes. Used a 3" hardware cloth pot stand. Using a 2" stand pushed the boil time to over 9 minutes (not good).
Image Image

Knotty

Re: My first entry...the FF Stubby

Postby Knotty » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:17 am

It was 1oz of SLX denatured alcohol and the stove to pot distance was 1.5". Based the distance on what works best with a Trangia, even though this is a very different stove.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:09 pm

Very nice stove :D great blood lines :mrgreen: or should we say DNA :lol:

The alum. bottle fits just right, lots of posibilities there.

Have you tried it inside a caldera windscreen?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Knotty

Postby Knotty » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:31 pm

Haven't tried it in the Caldera yet but that was my motivation for building this stove.

Will report on the results after I do a Caldera test.

I wasn't going for originality with the FF Stubby. Just wanted to adapt an already successful product to a different application.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Keep us informed....

How much fuel to get a boil?

Is the inverted bottle full height of the stove?

Knotty

Postby Knotty » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:53 pm

Inverted bottle is flush with the edge of the catfood can. Wick is about 1/8" high but since it first become visible in the valley between the two cans it doesn't actually stick up a full 1/8" over the top.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:47 pm

Nice KISS stove!(Keep It Super Simple!)..I'm going to have to make one of those... ;) I like easy to manufacture stoves without complicated methods of making them... :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Knotty

Postby Knotty » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:27 am

The FF Stubby is turning out to be a pretty versatile and efficient stove.

I wanted to see if I could boil 1 quart of water with 1.5oz of fuel. The water was from the faucet, the air was 30F and the pot was a 1.5l GSI Dualist.

To my surprise the water was boiling in 9min 25s and flamed out at 14min. Assuming a constant burn (reasonably fair assumption for wick stove) the math says the stove used just 1oz of fuel to boil 1qt. Woo hoo! Fast and efficient. :DB:

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:36 am

Great results.....you should be able to boil 1 gal. on 2.5 oz. of fuel if you use a 1 gal aluminum pot. in a calm, no air movement situation. It's the cumalative effect :o

Return to “Stove Of The Month Club”