Help with my 22 year old Whisperlite

The vintage stoves are still being used.
Show us some pics of yours.
Demeter

Help with my 22 year old Whisperlite

Postby Demeter » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:07 pm

I pulled this relic out of the attic yesterday to prepare for some hardcore winter backpacking next month. I love my Starlytes, but after blowing through a ton of MTOH when last year's temps hit -5°f, decided to pull this antique out. The last time I fired it up was about 19 years ago :o No hate mail about stove neglect :)

Anyway, I checked out the o-rings and they are in surprisingly good condition. I plan on replacing them anyway, but decided to give it a test today to identify any other potential problems.

I tested it using only a couple ounces of fuel in the MSR fuel bottle, so if the stove blew up, the damage would be minimized!

When I tried to prime the stove, no fuel ran to the priming pan. I could hear the hiss of gas from the jets, however. I took it apart and cleaned the obvious stuff (fuel line, checked gaskets).

Any suggestions?

BTW, I know these stoves are "bulletproof" but I really enjoy the simplicity of the alcohol stoves after trying to get this thing going again!!!

zelph

Re: Help with my 22 year old Whisperlite

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:54 pm

I can't answer your question but someone will be able to. Oops56 is top on the list and Ridgerunner is second I think....Reallityguy and engine
#9 is ALSO :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Demeter

Re: Help with my 22 year old Whisperlite

Postby Demeter » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:08 am

It did work! Thanks for the suggestion. Still not sure if it's priming, as I primed it with a little MTOH first. The flame was a little sketchy; red in some places, blue in others, but once I cranked it up high it seemed to even out. I am going to clean all the jets well and see if that helps.

Return to “Vintage Backpacking Stoves”