optimus 8r clone fuel question

The vintage stoves are still being used.
Show us some pics of yours.
steamjam

Re: optimus 8r clone fuel question

Postby steamjam » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:31 pm

zelph wrote:That sounds reedickalus :mrgreen: Must be a union induced thing. :o

No its not a union thing. Its just a railroad thing. I have a railroad time keeping rules book from 1925 that specifically says that you have to have an official railroad time keeper (horologist) check your watch once a month and it must show hours, minutes and seconds and will issue your watch a "good order" card should it pass. it must have Arabic numerals 1-12 and must have a white face and have the seconds and hours divided into no less then XXX hundredths of an inch and cannot exceed xxx hundredths of an inch on its face etc etc etc etc. Its crazy.

thank god for Timex Indiglo.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:45 pm

That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I've seen railroad watches go for big bucks on ebay. Actually, anything vintage railroad sells for good bucks. Lots of collectors out there. I have 2 ceramic railroad batteries. They just sit on a shelf in my garage. Once in a while I'll take the lid off one and look at the element that creates the magic that makes the battery work.
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:23 pm

zelph wrote:That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I've seen railroad watches go for big bucks on ebay. Actually, anything vintage railroad sells for good bucks. Lots of collectors out there. I have 2 ceramic railroad batteries. They just sit on a shelf in my garage. Once in a while I'll take the lid off one and look at the element that creates the magic that makes the battery work.

railroads have rules books for EVERYTHING.

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:13 pm

I also have a 1921 pay-rate rules book that says, amongst other craziness that is railroading, if you work all day, and just get off shift while your train is going up, or down a hill of more then 1% grade, You get paid another full days pay.

If you are humping a car, and your shift ends before the car comes to a complete stop at the bottom of the hump yard.. You get a another full days pay.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:16 pm

It sure didn't take much to get an extra full days pay back in the day. I bet things have really changed over time just like most of industry.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:22 pm

Ok so I've had this Clone 8r for over a year now, and the last 6 months its been used nearly everyday. I am happy to say that its been rock reliable, strong and can cook just about anything I want. It took trial and error to learn how to properly light it, and I run it mostly on Coleman fuel.

Cooking up myself some steak for the first time in about a decade:

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:12 pm

That fuel tank so near the frying pan gives me the Hebegebees :lol: I didn't feel comfortable using my Coleman double burner camp stove just because the tank was so close. call me wimpy :lol:

I am strictly Origo alcohol stove convert. I like the fact that alcohol vapors go up into the air, not down like white gas.

Did the steak turn out tough or so-so? Onions on the side? How big is your office fridge?

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:12 pm

zelph wrote:That fuel tank so near the frying pan gives me the Hebegebees :lol: I didn't feel comfortable using my Coleman double burner camp stove just because the tank was so close. call me wimpy :lol:

I am strictly Origo alcohol stove convert. I like the fact that alcohol vapors go up into the air, not down like white gas.

Did the steak turn out tough or so-so? Onions on the side? How big is your office fridge?

It tasted ok. It wasn't tough. I ate about 1/2 of it and made myself a proper soup and salad.. :-D The set up is GREAT for my spinach/onion/anaheim pepper and potato omelet.. :-D

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:02 am

That's good to hear :D

hey, onions will make anything taste great :mrgreen: Yesterday, I microwaved a hamburger steak with onions on top of it....soooooo goooood!!!!

Now you'll have to get set up to try your hand at electric stove cooking. ELECTRIC!!!!! that's a swear word :lol:

Return to “Vintage Backpacking Stoves”