Just got gifted a SVEA 123? or 123R? how to fix it?

The vintage stoves are still being used.
Show us some pics of yours.
zelph

Re: Just got gifted a SVEA 123? or 123R? how to fix it?

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:31 am

That roaring stove was a cheerful sound.

What didya say, didn't hear you over the loud roar. :P
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

viscara

Postby viscara » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:00 pm

Just the way I like it!
I did fix my stove it was the flame spreader plate that the previous owner had put some kind of center punch into it and pounded a sharp dent into it. I heated the flame spreader plate to red hot took a ball peen hammer and pounded the spreader plate so that the convcave shape was uniform and centered. Also the 4 tabs that hold the spreader in place on the burner cup or bell was uneven and I bent them back so the plate was level again. Volah! my flame is back to 100% were it should be. I credit the help from a guy I met in person from Spiriteburner website name Ron. He spotted the problem and confirmed it. It was his idea to heat the spreader plate use the ball peen hammer to make it round again. Thanks to all here for the help.
New guy to the stovy club but loving it. Own SVEA 123 and Coleman 1950' military stove, MSR Pocket Rocket,and make my own alchy stoves.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:51 pm

If it was not red hot more than likely one of the tabs would have broke. Oops!!! :o

Nice to have reliable help on projects. Thanks for sharing that tip :D

viscara

Postby viscara » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:22 pm

The center was red hot by the time I got it off the stove and onto the anvil of the bench vice it was much cooler. Here is a hot of it now working correctly and the flame pattern even not favoring one side.
Attachments
IMG_3382copysm.jpg
New guy to the stovy club but loving it. Own SVEA 123 and Coleman 1950' military stove, MSR Pocket Rocket,and make my own alchy stoves.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:14 pm

When it comes to vintage stoves, you have to love the info available on the spiritburner web site. Glad you got it burning true ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:40 pm

Looks like it just came from the factory. Super nice fix....you're good!!!! :D

viscara

Postby viscara » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:36 am

Thanks Zelph. I appreciate it coming from the man that is the old wizard when it comes to making stoves. I seen your videos on youtube for some time now. I like how you really always break things down on your stoves and find out how they work and why. Change your designs to make them better etc.. It has inspired me to work or make my own alcky stoves. I made a few for some friends as gifts and really have fun making them. I am also currently making a open flame design with fuel feeder line and maybe a way to to turn the flame up or down a bit to save fuel or simmer and still boil at a decent speed. I tried my soda can designs with my Swedish Ranger volcano stove and boy it really makes the stoves burn far hotter and more efficient. So I think a small open flame used inside the volcano would be a good combo. Even though it may or may not work its fun experimenting and fettling with stoves. It is sort of addictive once you start playing with stoves.

Thanks my good man.

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:46 am

Ahhhh Yes, addictive hobby stove making is for sure.

I purchased a remote feed stove from ebay. The guy lives in my hometown and hand carried it over to me. It's one made by tinny at minibulldesign. My first impression is that too much fuel is left over in the stove when a pot comes to boil. No way to retrieve it. Fuel gets trapped in the micro fuel lines that are now being used by the makers of the remotes. Going small has it's drawbacks. A container filled with absorbing material and is fed remotely has it's drawbacks. I hope you can come up with a solution design to have an efficient remote feed. You'll have fun trying :D

viscara

Postby viscara » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:31 pm

Zelph: Oh wow your that close to Tini Minibuild? Does he shoot shoot your windows with the pellet gun? LoL Yes I agree the fuel line still having fuel in it is a waste as well as "Filling" that line with fuel. My design planning was to maybe create a way to minimize this some how. As well as a way to save the fuel in the burner bowl so to speak. Saving that fuel or sealing it off so it does not leak or evaporate being left open. Also some how incorporating the containment of the burner bowl fuel and making it a simmer ring of sorts at the same time. I know a bit ambitious and a bit of a Grandeur but hey thats how we built Rome..

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:05 pm

well i was not ready to say how yet till get my thing from e bay but it can be done i make a video next week when i get it going
Man play with fire man get burnt

Return to “Vintage Backpacking Stoves”