Just got gifted a SVEA 123? or 123R? how to fix it?

The vintage stoves are still being used.
Show us some pics of yours.
oops56

Re: Just got gifted a SVEA 123? or 123R? how to fix it?

Postby oops56 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:21 am

viscara wrote:
zelph wrote:I'm feeling awful lonely not having one of those 123's :cry:

I'll have to start looking for one :o :mrgreen: I need another stove :D A few years ago I saw in a civil War Museum a pocket stove. fit in the palm of your hand, burned alcohol. they wouldn't let me photograph it. :evil:

Wow Zelph I would love to see what tiny stove looked like. Never heard of one before and I enjoy Civil War stuff. If you find a photo on the internet of one post it. And yes you need to get a SVEA123 they are so small and light weight "for a gas stove" and by the way I seen them going up in price I would get one soon before they cost 200 or 250 for one! yikes. I got to try to hunt down a Potstand cage to replace the one I am missing with my new stove.

For Oops56 I will give the 2 red bricks a try "Great idea by the way" Now all I need to do is give my new stove a bit of cleaning up and brass polish to make it look its best.

use brass polish no steel wool
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:23 am

viscara, the svea123 is one of my favorites. If you check the completed auctions on ebay, you will see that they go for $0-$100 on average. You can occasionally find just the pot support/windscreens for sale on ebay but they are almost as much as a complete unit :roll: Same goes for the primer pump. I use to bottom feed ebay for the 123 and there was always the same guy winning the stoves in my price range. Turns out he liked them too and would buy them as gifts for friends and family. You can find out more about the stoves at the Classic Stoves web site ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

viscara

Postby viscara » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:16 am

oops56 wrote:
viscara wrote:
zelph wrote:I'm feeling awful lonely not having one of those 123's :cry:

I'll have to start looking for one :o :mrgreen: I need another stove :D A few years ago I saw in a civil War Museum a pocket stove. fit in the palm of your hand, burned alcohol. they wouldn't let me photograph it. :evil:

Wow Zelph I would love to see what tiny stove looked like. Never heard of one before and I enjoy Civil War stuff. If you find a photo on the internet of one post it. And yes you need to get a SVEA123 they are so small and light weight "for a gas stove" and by the way I seen them going up in price I would get one soon before they cost 200 or 250 for one! yikes. I got to try to hunt down a Potstand cage to replace the one I am missing with my new stove.

For Oops56 I will give the 2 red bricks a try "Great idea by the way" Now all I need to do is give my new stove a bit of cleaning up and brass polish to make it look its best.

use brass polish no steel wool

Thanks for the tip Zelph as it would be a crime to use steal wool and scratch up such a nice stove. Is it okay to use Carburetor cleaner to clean the jet and valve and burner bowl of all the black carbon? or will it hurt anything using the carburetor cleaner?
New guy to the stovy club but loving it. Own SVEA 123 and Coleman 1950' military stove, MSR Pocket Rocket,and make my own alchy stoves.

viscara

Postby viscara » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:22 am

Ridgerunner wrote:viscara, the svea123 is one of my favorites. If you check the completed auctions on ebay, you will see that they go for $0-$100 on average. You can occasionally find just the pot support/windscreens for sale on ebay but they are almost as much as a complete unit :roll: Same goes for the primer pump. I use to bottom feed ebay for the 123 and there was always the same guy winning the stoves in my price range. Turns out he liked them too and would buy them as gifts for friends and family. You can find out more about the stoves at the Classic Stoves web site ;)

Thanks ridgerunner. When I said the pricey SVEA123's had gone up to 150 or 160 I was meaning the new Chinese brand new ones being sold as recent manufactured models. When 6 months ago the same exact stoves were being sold new for 100 to 120 bucks. The funny part is from what I read is that the brand new SVEA123R's being made right now out of china are sorta of cheap or not made as well as the old 1970's or 1980's models. But I may be wrong about that part. Thanks for the tips on looking for the potstand. I guess I got to get lucky and find one somewhere or on auction that is not to pricey.. Maybe a complete stove were the tank or valve or burner is broken but still has the potstand would work for me.
New guy to the stovy club but loving it. Own SVEA 123 and Coleman 1950' military stove, MSR Pocket Rocket,and make my own alchy stoves.

oops56

Postby oops56 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:56 am

ok here 2 that i made a pot stand for
here a video on svea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gEdM5bIiKo
Attachments
svea #1a.JPG
Man play with fire man get burnt

viscara

Postby viscara » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:45 am

oops56 wrote:ok here 2 that i made a pot stand for
here a video on svea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gEdM5bIiKo

Thanks once again Oops56 you really are the man when it comes to stoves. I now understand the models of SVEA123 and SVEA123R differences. How did you know about SVEA using the mixed older 123 burners with the newer 123 Tanks? you are a wealth of information. THanks for all the help. Like to own a couple of the stoves you have like the 00 and the 111 or even a 96. Soon someday.

Also do you know a good place for replacement parts? for these stoves?

viscara

Postby viscara » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:07 am

Ok I got some good answers about my burn flame pattern favoring one side. I spoke with A&B repair shop in California they were kind enough to tell me that it is the jet with the self cleaning needle. The self cleaning needle is a bit over kill from what they say and can be a bad thing as it is used or applied to the jet hole to often "Turning valve key on and off" making the needle go in and out of the jet hole wearing the brass jet hole out much like a lady of the night in the red light district. LoL. This is sort of what I was thinking was the problem. But thanks to A&B they confirmed my beliefs. I hope this helps others out there with the same question or problems.

Also I cleaned my stove up and I think she is coming along quite nice. Now if I can find a potstand windscreen for it I will be quite happy. Anyone out there with a extra one to sell let me know.

Attachments
IMG_3322sm.jpg

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:44 am

She shined up nice viscara. Now I feel guilty that mine are dull :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:02 am

Looks like a modern duplicate. :o

Do they burn quietly, low hum or something other than quiet? Will it frighten most creatures of the night away? :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

viscara

Postby viscara » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:27 am

Thanks all here. In the previous post I tried to post the video link for youtube and totally screwed it up. So here is a link so those out there can watch it if they like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv-PMlXoNWc

Return to “Vintage Backpacking Stoves”