Just got gifted a SVEA 123? or 123R? how to fix it?

The vintage stoves are still being used.
Show us some pics of yours.
viscara

Just got gifted a SVEA 123? or 123R? how to fix it?

Postby viscara » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:55 pm

I been granted a treasured gift by a dear old friend and mentor. The other day for my birthday my good friend bought me and himself a pair of SVEA 123's? or SVEA 123R? not sure which models they are. He bought one for me and one for him. They have the Straight "Horizontal" stem for the valve control or were the key plugs into. I will be uploading a few photos of it in a few as right now my Imac OS is taking a hit and having to reinstall my entire OS right now.. Urrr...

But in the mean time I tried to fire up my new stove and give it a test run. I filled it 1/3rd full with Coleman primo fuel. I used a bit of Alcohol in the primer bowel at the base of the stem on the tank. I checked the fill cap gasket and it looks to be "Ok" but not sure if its perfect or not. It does not leak fuel when I put the cap on it and tilt the tank so I think the fill cap gasket is okay. I fired up the stove and by priming the pan then turned the key fuel valve to the left and fuel filled the burning head and I lit it and it was a bit of souty orange flame for about a 30 to 40 seconds and then started to sputter and turn half blue and half orange. I turned the valve all the way to the left and it would die out. I tried this several time with the same results. But I then tried to not turn it all the way to the left and it stayed roaring blue flame. The flame seem to be coming out of the burner head slightly slanted to "One Side" out of the head. IS this normal? also when I turned the stove off by turning the stove valve to the right it would not turn off the flame it stayed burning with a flame. As soon as I turn the valve to the left all the way it does finally go out. After shutting the burner off by turning left all the way it goes out but continues to spew a bit of fuel out of the jet. I finally got it to stop doing that by loosening the fill cap on the take to let it release some pressure. Then it stopped dribbling the fuel out of the tip of the burner jet. Is all this normal? Also I do not have the wind shield pot stand that supposed to come with it. I only have the tank stem and burning head. Is there a problem using the stove this way without the potstand windshield? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
Last edited by viscara on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New guy to the stovy club but loving it. Own SVEA 123 and Coleman 1950' military stove, MSR Pocket Rocket,and make my own alchy stoves.

oops56

Re: Just got gifted a SVEA 123? or 123R? how to fix it?

Postby oops56 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:40 pm

yup they both are 123r they have a cleaning needles the flame goes to one side my be wore out but as long it burns ok and nice and blue it be ok .When you turn all the way to the left the cleaning blocks the jet holel to clean it out and the fuel cant get out then so do it fast the needle was for unlead gas but Coleman is clean and why it dont shut off all the way the cleaning needle is not set right under the jet its in there like a rack and pion deal must be set on number e teeth any type pot stand will work make sure it a open type like a hardware cloth or 2 rocks 2 bricks well there more to it this may help P. S.never leave the key in the valve when its fired up or you get a svea thumb :lol: :lol:
oh i got a video on it my help some at you tube at [rjburg ]
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:50 am

I been granted a treasured gift by a dear old friend and mentor. The other day for my birthday my good friend bought me and himself a pair of SVEA 123's? or SVEA 123R? not sure which models they are. He bought one for me and one for him.

Life is good to both of you!!!

Happy birthday :DBfire: :happymeal: :cheers:

Oops56 is the SVEA expert. :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:10 pm

I wonder what SVEA 123 model I had.

It didn't have a cleaning jet built-in. It had a cleaning "kit" I never had to use.

I used only clean "white gas" that was not old. I never let the "white gas" sit around long enough to get old.

I always emptied out the residual "white gas" in the tank. I burned off the last.

I got my SVEA 123 stove in the early 1960's.

It never failed. I never had to replace gaskets.

I did have to find "the sweet spot" for just the right amount of fuel inside and just the right amount of pressure using the built-in hand pump.

I used Fire Ribbon to "preheat" it to get it started.

I have seen one flare-up higher than a tent, not mine, which is why I will not bring a stove inside a tent or under a tarp or even near a tent or tarp.

I have many good memories with the SVEA 123 stove.

Now, I am making more good memories with zelph's alcohol stoves.

Is there any guess which model SVEA 123 stove I had?

oops56

Postby oops56 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:37 pm

connie yours is a i23 the 123r has a cleaning needle you cant go by the name model on the tank cause when they change over to the needle type they used up the 123 tanks and put the burner head on that's a 123r never burn off the gas left in the tank the burner has a cotton wick you can char it then it no work very good next time. A seva not need a hand pump only in real cold weather then just to get it going.The flare up is due to not pre heat no long enough always open the fill cap before light cause when shut down there will be a vacuum in the tank only fill 3/4 full i do have a video on it at [rjburg ]
P, S.coleman fuel does not go bad not like gasoline you can leave in stove if you like or dump back in can but if a svea sits empty for long be sure when you fill it up 3/4 let it set for 5 to 10 mins. to get the wick a chance to get good and wet

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:52 pm

Thank you, oops56.

All good information.

I had my SVEA 123, when I was mountaineerring: it was always cold weather.

I guess, what I meant by burn off the last of the fuel was let it burn to a weak flame. No? Bad idea?

oops56

Postby oops56 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:25 pm

ConnieD wrote:Thank you, oops56.

All good information.

I had my SVEA 123, when I was mountaineerring: it was always cold weather.

I guess, what I meant by burn off the last of the fuel was let it burn to a weak flame. No? Bad idea?

best just shut it off if

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:10 pm

oops56 wrote:connie yours is a i23 the 123r has a cleaning needle you cant go by the name model on the tank cause when they change over to the needle type they used up the 123 tanks and put the burner head on that's a 123r never burn off the gas left in the tank the burner has a cotton wick you can char it then it no work very good next time. A seva not need a hand pump only in real cold weather then just to get it going.The flare up is due to not pre heat no long enough always open the fill cap before light cause when shut down there will be a vacuum in the tank only fill 3/4 full i do have a video on it at [rjburg ]
P, S.coleman fuel does not go bad not like gasoline you can leave in stove if you like or dump back in can but if a svea sits empty for long be sure when you fill it up 3/4 let it set for 5 to 10 mins. to get the wick a chance to get good and wet

The flare up is due to not pre heating long enough, always open the fill cap before lighting cause when shut down there will be a vacuum in the tank only fill 3/4 full i do have a video on it at rjburg youtube.

That is priceless information Oops, thank you!!! :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:40 pm

It was our trip leader for the end of season Mt. Ruth - North Cascades.

He used my SVEA 123. I had never had that happen before.

I am glad it wasn't a fault of the stove.

oops56 is the EXPERT ADVICE.

I also had a screw-on "accessory pump" for it, but never used. Maybe an "accessory pump" is "news" to oops56?
Last edited by ConnieD on Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:49 pm

I always wondered if Oops..still has eyebrows after all his stove testing... :mrgreen:
:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Vintage Backpacking Stoves”