I wonder........

The vintage stoves are still being used.
Show us some pics of yours.
DarenN

I wonder........

Postby DarenN » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:10 pm

.......... if Oops56 has one of these?

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/06/29/hi ... g+Boing%29

"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Re: I wonder........

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:50 pm

He has one of everything :mrgreen:

The Magic Stove’s first appearances in the great outdoors reflected the grandiosity of its gentlemanly origins... “Mad” Lieutenant Gale, a daredevil hot-air balloonist, wanted to take the Magic Stove on board, but died too soon in a botched ascent.

He died too soon :o
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:50 am

The stove was small enough, it was said, that it could be carried in one’s hat.

There's a stove contest challenge.

DarenN, I think your collapsible MK1-UL wood stove could keep under my hat, if I had a hat with a reasonable crown size for that hat. I wear "baseball" hats, with my long hair pulled thru the opening at the back.

Of course, a "10-gallon cowboy hat" could carry one of the old Primus stoves.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:52 am

Poor Daren..all he gets is a toque!Good luck with fitting one in that one... :lol:

I think "pocket" stoves are more of a challenge..say shirt pocket size..I have several that will fit under hats and in pockets from Altoid square boxes to kodak film canisters...Potstands and windscreens can easily be rocks..in most places...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:27 pm

I want my titanium Nimblewell Nomad adaption to be a windscreen for a "twiggy fire" under a small cooking pot, and, a screen under the twigs so I can elevate the Super Stove to have the double blue flame.

I got quite derailed, off that project, when a thread discussion said a 1-quart container is the "right size" for a single wall wood burning stove.

I didn't want that much titanium. I also didn't want to have titanium "failure" wood stoves.

I tried using aluminum flashing, which melts right away, if not sooner. Aluminum flashing does not stand up to wood fire temperatures, at least, the aluminum flashing I found at the hardware store.

I am very interested in all small collapsible stove designs.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:07 pm

You can probably design something really cheap that will collapse out of a "cylinder" of stainless(pot,decanter,ikea silverware basket,etc.....if you cut the cylinder walls into 3 vertical pieces that join/fold/lay together somehow creating a lot less space than the full cylinder when packed..with a flat top grill and bottom maybe even holding the side pieces together..maybe some offset flanges top and bottom to slip onto those pieces..like every other half inch of the side ends bent the opposite direction in and out for slipping over a straight edged bottom.
Keep in mind that mechanical ductwork installers generally can add a circular "attached collar" to the flat side of a duct by just cutting the end of a piece of round duct every half inch..then bending out every other one 90 degrees.They then cut the round hole,the ones that are still sticking straight out are stuck through the hole and bent over against the back of the flat piece on the inside..holding against the others that were bent already against the outside of the metal.
It's a very simple strong method of attaching round ducts to main ones without having a special expensive part with a collar attached and having to screw it on around the collar.it actually turns out pretty airtight also with only very tiny holes between tabs.
My stainless camp stove...Someday I will adapt a 2"x3" long downspout piece on that way as a chimney outlet,a little jbweld for the tiny holes,3-4 screws through the outside bent flanges and it's good to go and cheap..using a short galvanized downspout piece for the chimney bottom and lightweight aluminum for the top portions..I have crimpers and can cut the top pieces to about 18", crimping one end so it'll fit inside the other..works for me! :DB:
If I find that stove takes more than a 2" chimney to burn right,I'll scrap it!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Vintage Backpacking Stoves”