Vulcan stove

The vintage stoves are still being used.
Show us some pics of yours.
zelph

Vulcan stove

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:57 pm

I recently purchased one of these. Anyone have one that can pass on some instructions and general info. Mine was without instructions.

From a vintage collection site, all they had:
Model: Vulcan Safety Chef
Fuel: non-liquid alcohol (SaFuel)
Vulcan
American brand, produced in Connecticut by The Vulcan Radiator Manufacturing Company.
Cooking kit included.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Re: Vulcan stove

Postby oops56 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:11 pm

zelph wrote:I recently purchased one of these. Anyone have one that can pass on some instructions and general info. Mine was without instructions.

From a vintage collection site, all they had:
Model: Vulcan Safety Chef
Fuel: non-liquid alcohol (SaFuel)
Vulcan
American brand, produced in Connecticut by The Vulcan Radiator Manufacturing Company.
Cooking kit included.

Yep i got 5 what do need to know i got mine to run on alcohol tryed wood no go need to do some cutting no had time the cold came first
Man play with fire man get burnt

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:19 pm

If that pot set in the background comes with it, I want one! Where'd you get it? E-Bay?

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:40 pm

Skidsteer wrote:If that pot set in the background comes with it, I want one! Where'd you get it? E-Bay?

Some come with the pot some just a can. The pot ones a 123 svea fit good in them

oops56

Re: Vulcan stove & camera lights

Postby oops56 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:54 pm

Here is the valcan and my homemade camera light some of shop also now it cold out there 9F the storm not here yet time 8:52 P M

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:10 am

That was awesome. :D

A virtual tour. I love it!
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:08 pm

I wanted to know if it ran on canned jelled alcohol. Is there a site link that gives a whole bunch of info?

The unit inside is very interesting, catalytic converter of sorts.

Skids, the aluminum cook kit came with mine. I liked the kit, it is what I mainly wanted. The converter assembly was 2nd.

Oops, you have 5. Five Vulcans!!!!! Your are a mega collector :D Thanks a bunch for the photos of yours. I'll have to do some web searches for more info. Any instructions on the can in the photo?

The tour of your shop was awsome, I'll be back tomorrow with more ?????

oops56

Postby oops56 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:15 pm

zelph wrote:I wanted to know if it ran on canned jelled alcohol. Is there a site link that gives a whole bunch of info?

The unit inside is very interesting, catalytic converter of sorts.

Skids, the aluminum cook kit came with mine. I liked the kit, it is what I mainly wanted. The converter assembly was 2nd.

Oops, you have 5. Five Vulcans!!!!! Your are a mega collector :D Thanks a bunch for the photos of yours. I'll have to do some web searches for more info. Any instructions on the can in the photo?

Give me a fews dayes to get out of this snow deal i can show you how to burn alcohol in them and the middle gets cherry red also sterno will work but not as hot

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:18 pm

The second photo: is it a snuffer plate?

Third photo: white ring looks to be an asbestos sealing ring. It was in a delaminating state. I peeled off the pieces and zip lock bagged them and into the garbage YUK!!!!

Fourth photo looks like a spring device that would keep a can of fuel tight up against the white asbestos ring.

oops56

Postby oops56 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:29 pm

zelph wrote:The second photo: is it a snuffer plate?

Third photo: white ring looks to be an asbestos sealing ring. It was in a delaminating state. I peeled off the pieces and zip lock bagged them and into the garbage YUK!!!!

Fourth photo looks like a spring device that would keep a can of fuel tight up against the white asbestos ring.

You are right on all them things tomorrow i show you how to make a alcohol stove for it there is two kinds that work. Right now snow to shovel just to get car out. Also wife gone to store get the food things to try my wok out tonight Chinese food tonight

Return to “Vintage Backpacking Stoves”