Vulcan stove

The vintage stoves are still being used.
Show us some pics of yours.
User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15774
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Vulcan stove

Postby zelph » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:57 pm

I recently purchased one of these. Anyone have one that can pass on some instructions and general info. Mine was without instructions.

From a vintage collection site, all they had:
Model: Vulcan Safety Chef
Fuel: non-liquid alcohol (SaFuel)
Vulcan
American brand, produced in Connecticut by The Vulcan Radiator Manufacturing Company.
Cooking kit included.

Image
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Re: Vulcan stove

Postby oops56 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:11 pm

zelph wrote:I recently purchased one of these. Anyone have one that can pass on some instructions and general info. Mine was without instructions.

From a vintage collection site, all they had:
Model: Vulcan Safety Chef
Fuel: non-liquid alcohol (SaFuel)
Vulcan
American brand, produced in Connecticut by The Vulcan Radiator Manufacturing Company.
Cooking kit included.

Image

Yep i got 5 what do need to know i got mine to run on alcohol tryed wood no go need to do some cutting no had time the cold came first
Image
Man play with fire man get burnt

User avatar
Skidsteer
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:10 pm
Location: Leisure Acres

Re: Vulcan stove

Postby Skidsteer » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:19 pm

If that pot set in the background comes with it, I want one! Where'd you get it? E-Bay?

oops56
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Re: Vulcan stove

Postby oops56 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:40 pm

Skidsteer wrote:If that pot set in the background comes with it, I want one! Where'd you get it? E-Bay?

Some come with the pot some just a can. The pot ones a 123 svea fit good in them
Man play with fire man get burnt

oops56
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Re: Vulcan stove & camera lights

Postby oops56 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:54 pm

Here is the valcan and my homemade camera light some of shop also now it cold out there 9F the storm not here yet time 8:52 P M

Image
Man play with fire man get burnt

User avatar
Skidsteer
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:10 pm
Location: Leisure Acres

Re: Vulcan stove

Postby Skidsteer » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:10 am

That was awesome. :D

A virtual tour. I love it!
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)
Image

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15774
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Vulcan stove

Postby zelph » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:08 pm

I wanted to know if it ran on canned jelled alcohol. Is there a site link that gives a whole bunch of info?

The unit inside is very interesting, catalytic converter of sorts.

Skids, the aluminum cook kit came with mine. I liked the kit, it is what I mainly wanted. The converter assembly was 2nd.

Oops, you have 5. Five Vulcans!!!!! Your are a mega collector :D Thanks a bunch for the photos of yours. I'll have to do some web searches for more info. Any instructions on the can in the photo?

The tour of your shop was awsome, I'll be back tomorrow with more ?????
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Re: Vulcan stove

Postby oops56 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:15 pm

zelph wrote:I wanted to know if it ran on canned jelled alcohol. Is there a site link that gives a whole bunch of info?

The unit inside is very interesting, catalytic converter of sorts.

Skids, the aluminum cook kit came with mine. I liked the kit, it is what I mainly wanted. The converter assembly was 2nd.

Oops, you have 5. Five Vulcans!!!!! Your are a mega collector :D Thanks a bunch for the photos of yours. I'll have to do some web searches for more info. Any instructions on the can in the photo?


Give me a fews dayes to get out of this snow deal i can show you how to burn alcohol in them and the middle gets cherry red also sterno will work but not as hot
Man play with fire man get burnt

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15774
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Vulcan stove

Postby zelph » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:18 pm

The second photo: is it a snuffer plate?

Third photo: white ring looks to be an asbestos sealing ring. It was in a delaminating state. I peeled off the pieces and zip lock bagged them and into the garbage YUK!!!!

Fourth photo looks like a spring device that would keep a can of fuel tight up against the white asbestos ring.


Image

Image

Image

Image
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Re: Vulcan stove

Postby oops56 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:29 pm

zelph wrote:The second photo: is it a snuffer plate?

Third photo: white ring looks to be an asbestos sealing ring. It was in a delaminating state. I peeled off the pieces and zip lock bagged them and into the garbage YUK!!!!

Fourth photo looks like a spring device that would keep a can of fuel tight up against the white asbestos ring.


Image

Image

Image

Image


You are right on all them things tomorrow i show you how to make a alcohol stove for it there is two kinds that work. Right now snow to shovel just to get car out. Also wife gone to store get the food things to try my wok out tonight Chinese food tonight
Man play with fire man get burnt


Return to “Vintage Backpacking Stoves”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest