As the header says---Vintage backpacking stoves

The vintage stoves are still being used.
Show us some pics of yours.
realityguy

Re: As the header says---Vintage backpacking stoves

Postby realityguy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:56 am

Not really, I need to unload and tonight I have started my ebay journey to unload and increase my 4-wheeler fund.

I was going to ask you when your next paycheck was..I've got some "filler" for those holes in your collection.. :roll:

:lol:

Oh well...I can only "wish" I had room to display mine..Things keep getting piled higher on the edges to keep the center as usable space..
We had an avalanche yesterday in the mountain pass nearby that killed three people..I'm expecting one in my "lowlands" soon.Guess I better go buy a beacon. If they are looking for me;tell them I'm probably under the "bicycle parts" pile..it seems to be the most precarious one... :roll: (That's not rolling eyes..just looking at the top of it..)

The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:09 pm

RG, don't forget to swim along with the bicycle parts and odd stoves when the avalanche hits. :D Try to stay on top.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:34 pm

RG, don't forget to swim along with the bicycle parts and odd stoves when the avalanche hits. :D Try to stay on top.

If you only knew how true that is.. :roll: ..especially in tents,sleeping bags,camp gear,camp stoves and cookware,bicycle crap,tools,ukulele wood-forms-parts,fishing stuff,cameras...Yep..I'm a hoarder..on the 12 step program..but that first step(quit buyin') is the killer.. :roll:

The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:11 am

a beacon

...two compatible beacons, one with a person not hiking too closeby, in case you are both caught in the slide.

I was also taught to have a lightweight brightly colored cord that would float on the snow. I forget: 75' to 100' long tied with a bowline knot to your belt ready to release and throw off. Mine "avalanche cord" was a narrow lightweight nylon tubing in dayglo red.

We practiced our "backstroke" in a safe-chute with a good run-out.

We unbuckled out waistbelt and chest strap, loosened our shoulder straps and stepped out.

As the slide started, we threw off our pack and our avalanche cord. As the slide started to really stop, we made a "hollow" for air, if we could.

Now, there is AvaLung and beacons to add to our "avalanche training".

Before all that, we learned a lot about how to "read" snow and slopes.

Return to “Vintage Backpacking Stoves”