As the header says---Vintage backpacking stoves

The vintage stoves are still being used.
Show us some pics of yours.
zelph

Re: As the header says---Vintage backpacking stoves

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:18 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
Dam he found me and who are you on e bay needs to know

put 2 and 2 together---mine is just as easy to figure out ;)

Over 700 feedbacks ----you must have a 3 car garage converted into a muesem like my grandpappy did with Indian artifacts. Come on oops-----share some pics of your collection :)
Do you go to the vintage stove conventions? Inquiring minds want to know! :?:

Where are your grandpappy's indian artifacts? Were any of them field collected?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:50 pm

Many were field collected. During the 50's, 60's he had one of the largest collections in the country. He was president of the Ohio Archeology Society for several years. He traveled the country and bought many collections over the years. We lost grandpa at the young age of 58 of his 3rd heart attack back atound 1970. With todays science, he would have probably lived many more years. Anyway, Grandma had 3 large auctions over the years and she never had to work a day of her life. What a sweet lady. Grandpa was an optomitrist and avid outdoorsman. He use to take me fishing every chance he got. He also took me arrowhead hunting and yes, I found a few. I can do a google search today and find artifacts that are said to be from his collection, 37 years later. How cool is that. My uncle(his only son) and I received a few items from the collection before it was auctioned off. He had a large frog Effigy pipe that was my graduation present from college. Makes a great door stop :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:04 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:

Many were field collected. During the 50's, 60's he had one of the largest collections in the country. He was president of the Ohio Archeology Society for several years. He traveled the country and bought many collections over the years. We lost grandpa at the young age of 58 of his 3rd heart attack back atound 1970. With todays science, he would have probably lived many more years. Anyway, Grandma had 3 large auctions over the years and she never had to work a day of her life. What a sweet lady. Grandpa was an optomitrist and avid outdoorsman. He use to take me fishing every chance he got. He also took me arrowhead hunting and yes, I found a few. I can do a google search today and find artifacts that are said to be from his collection, 37 years later. How cool is that. My uncle(his only son) and I received a few items from the collection before it was auctioned off. He had a large frog Effigy pipe that was my graduation present from college. Makes a great door stop :lol:

Quite a tribute to be able to google his name and have items come up that he preserved for future generations, and that's super cool. The state of Ohio is well known for artifacts made of slate.

I can just picture you and your college buds smokin a bowl in the frog Effigy pipe :D Were you guys cool or what? Hey Joe!!! pass the froggy over this way will ya!!! Door stop, yah right!!! grandpa would be on your case like flies to you know what.

I found a stone axe and have it in a glass case on top of the TV cabinet. Not a week goes by that I don't pick it up and look at it and wonder who made it.

There is a site here in IL by the name of "Koster". It has been dated back 6,000 years to have had people living there. I'll be going there in the spring to volunteer my digging services :)

Thanks for the artifact history. It's one of my hobbys. (no collections though)

rossm

Postby rossm » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:56 pm

I've a few old stoves - but believe it or not my main interest is backpacking!

Here's the bulk of them - more down the shed.

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:07 pm

rossm, welcome to the board and thank you so much for sharing some pics of your stove collection. You have a very fine display room....I am in total awe. How long have you been collecting stoves and did I miss the Borde Bomb and Dickerson coil burners? Oops, we need to get organized ! :lol: What eye candy!!! :DP: :DB: :DP: :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

rossm

Postby rossm » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

I think it was the mid 1990's when I realised I was a stove collector. Before that I was just a rescuer & never even considered it a hobby. I found an old 1950's camping catalogue & found that I had half the old stoves listed & thought it would be good to find the rest! When I actively started collecting I never dreamt others would be doing the same!

Never had the Dickerson (Dickson?) but I have had Borde's - last one went in a tent deal!

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:46 pm

I've a few old stoves - but believe it or not my main interest is backpacking!

Here's the bulk of them - more down the shed.

If backpacking is your main interest you must have a second home to contain all the backpacking equiment :mrgreen:

One entire room for collectable stoves and related items WOW!!!!! Nice/fabulous collection. And there's more down in the shed :shock:

Thank You for sharing your fine collection. The Valor caught my eye :D tell us a little about it please, the one on the table, green center column.

Which stove are you keeping your eyes open for? Which one do you want with all your passion? :mrgreen:

oops56

Postby oops56 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:52 am

rossm wrote:Thanks for the welcome!

I think it was the mid 1990's when I realised I was a stove collector. Before that I was just a rescuer & never even considered it a hobby. I found an old 1950's camping catalogue & found that I had half the old stoves listed & thought it would be good to find the rest! When I actively started collecting I never dreamt others would be doing the same!

Never had the Dickerson (Dickson?) but I have had Borde's - last one went in a tent deal!

oh i got dickson new in the box not for sale or trade well just a little lie :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

rossm

Postby rossm » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:05 am

zelph wrote:
If backpacking is your main interest you must have a second home to contain all the backpacking equiment........

Nah - not really. Few stacker boxes of gear - not including the tents! I'm a minor tent whore. Macpac Mineret (1st gen) plus spare custom-made fly in later material, Hilleberg Akto, Henry Shires Contrail, Terra Nova Super Quasar, TNF Mountain 25, Phoenix Phortress, TNF Trailhead 8.

zelph wrote:The Valor caught my eye :D tell us a little about it please, the one on the table, green center column.

Just a standard, 2 pint kero stove similar to a classic Primus, with a silent burner. Valor is a British brand. This one is 1950's. The green part is just a clip-on windshield

zelph wrote:Which stove are you keeping your eyes open for? Which one do you want with all your passion? :mrgreen:

I have just about all the ones I 'know' I want. There are stoves I probably don't know about I'll want when I find them! :D

As for the 'one's' I really want? Now that would be telling! They are rare & many people don't know of them. If I was to say I was mad keen to find them I'd probably just increase the price on ebay!

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:24 am

rossm wrote:
As for the 'one's' I really want? Now that would be telling! They are rare & many people don't know of them. If I was to say I was mad keen to find them I'd probably just increase the price on ebay!

The collectors and "finders" that are here on bplite could very well be the ones that have that very special stove that you've been looking for.

I'm looking for a "Civil War" era personal pocket stove used to heat 1 cup water. I saw one in a museum out east 3 years ago. I thought it would be nice to have one :D It's a "Stovie" thing :lol:

He had a large frog Effigy pipe that was my graduation present from college. Makes a great door stop

RR, let's do a trade for that pipe. That pipe needs to be put on display for everyone to see and we need all it's history. I'll take a photo of the arrow points that I got during my latest excursion and post later today.

Return to “Vintage Backpacking Stoves”