OOPS!..Do you have one of these stoves?

The vintage stoves are still being used.
Show us some pics of yours.
zelph

Re: OOPS!..Do you have one of these stoves?

Postby zelph » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:19 pm

bob wrote:I just bought 2 of these stoves (new) at a thrift shop. Does anyone know of theoriginal price? And can one buy the canasters at a refait outlet in Canada. Also what canister should I look for?

thanks in advance. bob

Hi Bob, welcome to bplite and thanks for your 1st comment/question.

I think the canisters are hard to find in North America and Canada. "Realityguy" should be able to answer your question more accurately.

I'll take a look on ebay for you and see if there are some there.

Here is what I found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VTG-GARCIA-GAZ-S-20 ... 5640ef19d6

The description says canisters are hard to find :o

Edited to add:

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/backco ... 38184.html
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:08 am

As far as I know the canisters aren't available anymore..if they are the ones that need to be punctured and "non screw top end".They were nonremovable until they were totally exhausted,meaning that you had to take a near empty one out camping and haul the empty back home with you.

The stoves around here are a couple bucks apiece and I probably have 5 or 6 of them in different models(or the same ones,shown 200 and 206)..Fortunately the last one I found had 10 canisters with it for $15.Some of the newer ones do have a threaded top end valve verses the older "puncture" style so the newer half full canisters could be removed..why the earlier models were discontinued.
I don't think you can get the canisters retail anymore and you can only find them at garage sales and thrift stores.The Camping Gaz C200 cartridge and i think this yellow Primus CTC 1362(?) might fit those stoves.i do find them occasionally at thrift stores for $1(the yellow one stiill has a sticker) because the employees don't know what they are or what they are for..so I pick those up also.
Ebay may not have them because of the shipping problem.If you have a craigslist up there or similar LOCAL ad service,you may be able to put an "item wanted" ad up for those canister numbers and find some close to you.A lot of people might still have them because they didn't know how to dispose of full ones.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:24 pm

The French folks in Quebec might import them to keep with the French traditions.

In the one link above there was mention of Coleman having a canister that might be available to use in place of the original GAZ

I was influenced by the spelling of the French canisters "Gaz" My wood burning stoves are wood gaz ;)

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:24 pm

i've seen the Camping Gaz canisters at a few local retailers in my 'hood.
at Wholesale Sports in Langley about two weeks ago i saw a shelf full of them.
Skyview in Surrey had them three years ago.
REI in Seattle is said to have them as well.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:03 pm

They might be available throughout Canada. Thanks Daren for your insight on their availability up there in British Columbia. Are you getting in on the hot weather that seems to have settled in Seattle, Washington where Realityguy hangs out?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:55 pm

More than likely he is.. ;) ..Daren are those the "puncture" ones?..or screw in?

Hopefully the weather will hold for a while.The wife's in China..and I need to build a woodshed this week and get a roof on it.I got the footings in today..well.. set in pier blocks with brackets.Tomorrow I need to get the walls and beams in place..the next day maybe the roof framing..or some of it..Oh well..I've got until Saturday before she comes back.. :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:24 am

RG, you better have her side of the garage cleaned out befor she gets back ;)
:mrgreen:

That one link to ebay was someone from china.............. :roll:

Buy North American ;)

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:13 am

realityguy wrote:Daren are those the "puncture" ones?..or screw in?

the canisters i've seen are the puncture type.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:16 am

Fortunately it's been hot and not raining so she's been parking outside..I sorted out some and then started pulling out fishing rods..that was a big mistake.. :shock: ...I fixed a couple guides on a couple poles,spilled half a bottle of rod finish so SEVERAL rods got their guides coated..which required turning every so often so the stuff doesn't drip.
In between sorting and cutting fur and feathers..I turned rods.I've got about 50 books for him to pick and choose from..not counting 1/2 of them I'm keeping anyway..and 80 or so magazines.He should be pretty well stocked for anything in flyfishing.
I still have to go through things like tying thread,chenille,tinsels,...basically the fly -body wrapping and shiny stuff.
I sorted a ton of reels into "stay" and "go" boxes..I thought I had sold all my collectible ones but it appears they grow around here..especially on those horizontal surfaces...

..But I can see the top of my flytying desk again.. :DB: :DB: :DP: :DB: (dancin' banana,dancin' banana,daren's pickle,dancin' banana..isn't that what the : DP : stands for?) :lol: Glad to see you back,Daren!

...Didn't know they still had those but I'm set with 10-15 of the Gaz Canisters..That may add value to all of those Gaz stoves I have if REI is still carrying the canisters.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:29 am

realityguy wrote:...Didn't know they still had those but I'm set with 10-15 of the Gaz Canisters..That may add value to all of those Gaz stoves I have if REI is still carrying the canisters.

here's the story.........
a kayaking buddy picked up a C-Gaz stove locally off craigslist, and couldn't find any canisters for it. so he posted a question on the paddling forums and another freind, in Lynnwood, said she had seen them at REI and would be happy to pick some up and drop them off to me on her way through Surrey. it was about a year later that i started seeing the canisters locally.

PS... i tested the stove a little and it was reasonably efficient.

Return to “Vintage Backpacking Stoves”