OOPS!..Do you have one of these stoves?

The vintage stoves are still being used.
Show us some pics of yours.
realityguy

OOPS!..Do you have one of these stoves?

Postby realityguy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Oops..got one of these? :mrgreen:

Here's an oddball...A JollyOK Stove!...Made in Italy(Vuquarttro),self-igniting,super adjustable!I think it uses the old Gaz cartridges(says "perferation type universal butane cartridge").Weighs a heavy 1-1/2lbs...with the cartridge.Pot stands fold in for smaller pots,storage.It appears it's been fired at least once before I did it..maybe just for a "How Cool!" test... :lol:

The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

oops56

Re: OOPS!..Do you have one of these stoves?

Postby oops56 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:58 pm

realityguy wrote:Oops..got one of these? :mrgreen:

Here's an oddball...A JollyOK Stove!...Made in Italy(Vuquarttro),self-igniting,super adjustable!I think it uses the old Gaz cartridges(says "perferation type universal butane cartridge").Weighs a heavy 1-1/2lbs...with the cartridge.Pot stands fold in for smaller pots,storage.It appears it's been fired at least once before I did it..maybe just for a "How Cool!" test... :lol:

no i not got one like that i bet hard to get fuel canister for that
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:58 pm

How does it lock onto the canister?

Oops and RG, can you remove the stove from the canister if the canister still has fuel in it and not lose the remaining fuel?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:33 pm

How does it lock onto the canister?

Oops and RG, can you remove the stove from the canister if the canister still has fuel in it and not lose the remaining fuel?

No..it's one of the "puncture canister" ones where you can't take it off unless it's empty..
I like the slide igniter/variable heat/shutoff!That's nice..The lower case screws together and punctures the canister..
It is an oddball I've never seen here before ..but it appears they occasionally show up in ebay and go off cheap because of the canister type.I paid $10..same as they've gone for on ebay.I'm wondering if I can swap canister mounts..nice car-camper one.
A guy out at the swap meet tried real hard to sell me one of those canisters for $2..I passed on it.. :cry: I think I have another one or two of the same canisters around here already.Until I empty the canister I can't tell if it is the wide flat one or the skinnier tall ones.
There were a couple more canisters at the thrift store I usually go to also about a month ago.I have at least three other stoves that use those,The Gaz one I just picked up on the weekend,the Bluet one,and a Primus Globetrotter..guess I'll start picking the canisters up again;usually go for $1-2 when I find them.
Actually..I just checked..I have the GAZ wide canister,the PRIMUS narrower one,and even an taller PREPO from the 1950s..still sealed and intact...
People around here donate the things to thrift stores because they don't know how to throw them away... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:18 pm

People around here donate the things to thrift stores because they don't know how to throw them away...

And tell us how to throw those kind of things away if you would please!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:25 pm

most of the canisters are made of ordinary ferrous metal. ie, steel. when the canister is completely empty, puncture it with a nail, smash it flat with a hammer, (or a rock), and dispose of it in a metal recycling bin. the procedure is the same for the odd few aluminum canisters, they just need to go into an aluminum recycle bin.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:46 pm

Personally,Daren..I don't want them to know..That's why I get them cheap at thrift stores.. :lol: ..hopefully they will keep donating them... :mrgreen:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Actually..thinking again..that GAZ smaller stove I got last weekend has the screw in cartridge..why I didn't pick up the $2 cartridge..wouldn't have fit that stove.

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:11 pm

canister stoves are the most efficient in weight carried per day per fuel usage without resupply. the big problem has always been, what to do about the empty canisters. we don't want to see them just end up in a landfill. puncture and recycle them for the metal, works to alleviate that problem. one other thing that some perceive as a problem is, how much fuel is left in a partially used canister. i don't find this to be a problem. my digital scale cost me about 25 bucks and has many more uses than just weighing fuel canisters. i know that an empty canister weighs 130 grams cause i weighed an empty one :roll: . i know the net weight of the fuel to 227 grams in a full canister. at the end of every trip i print the weight of the canister on the canister. so i know exactly how much fuel is in it. not a big deal; i think.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:31 pm

Good idea!.At the present time..I don't know if I have an empty verses a full canister in the sizes I have or need.Once these are empty(the ones on the stoves)..I'll probably have to put another one on before weighing them.I'll have to see if I can find more in those two sizes(puncture ones).
I think I have a full newer model screw on one(coleman?) that I can weigh and a partial on the stove.
What's the weight of a new one?Are you saying the new one is 130+227=357 grams?Will that work for the Coleman?What's the ounces on the cartridge you have?Brand?Just comparing...

Return to “Vintage Backpacking Stoves”