Taykit Pocket Stove burner

The vintage stoves are still being used.
Show us some pics of yours.
DarenN

Re: Taykit Pocket Stove burner

Postby DarenN » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:37 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
RR, do you think having the windscreen on the stove while burning alcohol would help keep it lit? or having a deflector plate on it like oops shows in his video?

Negative! I have to wonder if the only reason that mine burned for minute was that there may have been coleman fuel in the coil that had to burn off before the Heet came out.

i suspect that the jet size would have to be changed to make it run on alcohol.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:14 pm

Welllll I'll be dipped :shock:

Whats the diff in this coil burner and the ones that have been made here that burn alchy, the size of hole??????
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Postby oops56 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:28 pm

zelph wrote:Welllll I'll be dipped :shock:

Whats the diff in this coil burner and the ones that have been made here that burn alchy, the size of hole??????

hole size when i can find my alcohol one i check the hole size
Man play with fire man get burnt

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:05 pm

zelph wrote:Welllll I'll be dipped :shock:

yep.
i never did get one working so that i was happy with it. a couple worked not bad but were still a bit too flame-unstable for my liking.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:45 pm

I will conduct a second test using D/A tomorrow after work. Maybe it will react differently than the Heet(actually, it was a different gasline antifreeze) I will try some of the clearenced product we got @WALLYWORLD ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:59 pm

I got the burner in the mail today. It sure do have a tiny hole /jet. Maybe tomorrow I can fire it up. :mrgreen:

I got lots of tree cutting to do tomorrow and other stuff while the weather is favorable.

oops said the wick should be cotton and not extend past the coiled area that the flame touches. Fiberglass will solidify and clog the tube. Even if the cotton chars it will still work. Oops knows like only the shadow knows ;)

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:25 pm

Zelph:
can you use number drills and figure out the size of the jet? curiousity is killing me! :ugeek:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:13 am

I've got soft copper tubing and was coiling some up to try and make one...or something like it.Does the tubing have a continuous wick running through it?I was thinking of an aluminum bottle for fuel storage with the copper coil coming out..slight pressure if needed to burn alcohol..
Just an idea...
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

oops56

Postby oops56 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:49 am

realityguy wrote:I've got soft copper tubing and was coiling some up to try and make one...or something like it.Does the tubing have a continuous wick running through it?I was thinking of an aluminum bottle for fuel storage with the copper coil coming out..slight pressure if needed to burn alcohol..
Just an idea...

no the wick does not go all the round the coil just up to the first bend close need 2 one on each end leave it long so stay in alcohol and so as to lay flat like a L
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:32 pm

DarenN wrote:Zelph:
can you use number drills and figure out the size of the jet? curiousity is killing me! :ugeek:

I measured the clean-out wire that's stored in the fill cap for the stove. It measures .030

I know all about the curiosity thing :D

Return to “Vintage Backpacking Stoves”