Taykit Pocket Stove burner

The vintage stoves are still being used.
Show us some pics of yours.
Ridgerunner

Re: Taykit Pocket Stove burner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:21 pm

zelph wrote:Hey, did you hear the joke about the blonde frog :o

Alright, I'll bite...give up the blonde frog joke !

Back to Topic, what is the best method to measure jet diameters ?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:33 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Back to Topic, what is the best method to measure jet diameters ?

i use number drill bits. i've got two sets. both down to #80. one cost me six bucks and the other about thirty. both came from Lee Valley. i use a pair of tweezers to hold the drill and a magnifier to see what i'm doing. i start with the smaller bits and work up till the bit don't fit no more. back up one size and that's the jet size.

i'd really like to nail down all of the info on coil burners. i was so excited when i got one to sorta work, but was unable to get one to work properly. i gave up. :o
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:06 pm

Daren, I just checked the clean-out needle with a micrometer. The diameter reads .012 inches. The clean out needle is a very tight fit. I will check with some fine drill bits and post back if there are any changes. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:21 pm

I picked up a mini drill bit set at Harbor Freight today. The smallest bits are 0.5mm---super tiny but the micrometer reads them at about .022inches---too big to fit the taykit jet hole.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:13 pm

RR..have you tried a needle or straight pin?Seems like you might be able to get the point in and measure it.I can get pretty tiny drill bits..I order them for pinhole camera "lenses"(well..actually tiny holes)...You can go to "Tacoma Screw" give their express 1-800 number a call.

http://www.tacomascrew.com/

I'm close to the one in Everett..If they have them small enough for what you might need..I can pick them up for you...
What's the shipping cost on a half dozen frog hairs? :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:32 pm

Well I'll be dipped in frog oil...... I used my sons digital calipers to get the .030 dimension. Now I need to go back and check on it's accuracy and measure a known drill bit..Hmmmmm :D

How large/small is the space between the coils? My spacing is really small. It looks as if it would be difficult to get a drill bit to stand up straight between the coil to get it into the hole. My coil is soldered at two locations to keep the coil from spreading apart. What say you guys about yours. Soldered or no solder :D
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:49 am

It is soldered in two places and your right about the small space between the coil loops. The drill bit I tested was probably not much more the an inch in length. It would fit between the coils. I pair of needle nosed pliers comes in handy for that procedure. RG, it is Daren that is looking for the hole size and he has the drill bits down to #80. I'm not sure how that corresponds to .012 inches :roll: All I know is that .012 is close to frog hair diameter :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:02 am

RR, I was just kidding about the blonde frog joke :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:43 pm

I came across an aluminum Sterno potsuport stand and tried it out with the taykit burner. It works really nice. The burner now has a new home. :D Here are a few photos: I forgot to turn on the macro feature so it's blurry, nothing wrong with your eyes :o Also stuck in a very short video made with the camera.

Attachments
Hole-in-one 015.jpg
Hole-in-one 014.jpg
Hole-in-one 013.jpg

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:18 pm

The sterno stand works well and I'm sure is lighter that the rest of the Taykit case. ;) good innovation!

Return to “Vintage Backpacking Stoves”