Taykit Pocket Stove burner

The vintage stoves are still being used.
Show us some pics of yours.
Ridgerunner

Re: Taykit Pocket Stove burner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:12 pm

I tested it again today using denatured alcohol. It would not fire up. While the flame was put to the coil, it pressurized and wanted to burn but the hole would probably have to be larger.(Not with MY Taykit we don't) While the butane flame was held to the coil, it would burn but not take off on its own. As soon as the flame was taken away, the fuel ceased to ignite and you could hear the hissing coming from the jet hole. Zelph, you may as well alter your jet hole to make it work with alcohol 'cause you know you wil never find the rest of the kit :lol: :roll: I did see a case on ebay years ago. Will keep my eye out just in case. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:00 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:I tested it again today using denatured alcohol. It would not fire up. While the flame was put to the coil, it pressurized and wanted to burn but the hole would probably have to be larger.(Not with MY Taykit we don't) While the butane flame was held to the coil, it would burn but not take off on its own. As soon as the flame was taken away, the fuel ceased to ignite and you could hear the hissing coming from the jet hole. Zelph, you may as well alter your jet hole to make it work with alcohol 'cause you know you wil never find the rest of the kit :lol: :roll: I did see a case on ebay years ago. Will keep my eye out just in case. ;)

RR;
can you find some way to measure the jet size in your Taykit?
Zelph says his cleaning tool is .030. that would make the jet a #68 drill, or larger. that seems on the large side to me.
i have several coils laying around here at around .030 that will not burn alcohol properly. they will pump raw fuel through the jet and spray it all over the place as soon as it gets heat put to it.

also;
what is the diameter of the tubing used for the coil? what is the inside diameter of the loops of the coil?

thanks;
Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:51 am

DarenN wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:I tested it again today using denatured alcohol. It would not fire up. While the flame was put to the coil, it pressurized and wanted to burn but the hole would probably have to be larger.(Not with MY Taykit we don't) While the butane flame was held to the coil, it would burn but not take off on its own. As soon as the flame was taken away, the fuel ceased to ignite and you could hear the hissing coming from the jet hole. Zelph, you may as well alter your jet hole to make it work with alcohol 'cause you know you wil never find the rest of the kit :lol: :roll: I did see a case on ebay years ago. Will keep my eye out just in case. ;)

RR;
can you find some way to measure the jet size in your Taykit?
Zelph says his cleaning tool is .030. that would make the jet a #68 drill, or larger. that seems on the large side to me.
i have several coils laying around here at around .030 that will not burn alcohol properly. they will pump raw fuel through the jet and spray it all over the place as soon as it gets heat put to it.

also;
what is the diameter of the tubing used for the coil? what is the inside diameter of the loops of the coil?

thanks;
Daren......

The diameter of the tubing is 3/16" and the diameter of the inner loop is 11/16". I have no way of measuring the jet hole. It is about the diameter of a frogs hair ;) :lol: very very tiny
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:02 am

It is about the diameter of a frogs hair very very tiny

:lol: That's tiny :o it's hard to see frogs hair especially when it's wet.

Daren, we'll have this all figured out by the time you get back from your water hike :D

It's raining today, maybe I'll get a chance to burn some alchy :DBfire:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:56 am

I filled it with HEET and gave it a try. No way!!!!! not enough BTU's in it to keep it going. Later this evening I'll use denatured and then Coleman fuel.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:15 pm

That's tiny :o it's hard to see frogs hair especially when it's wet.

Ahh..which part of the frog are you getting that hair from? :o In some areas they are bigger you know! :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:45 pm

It took several attemps to get it to stay lit with coleman fuel. It had a pretty green flame for at least 4-5 burn tests. So I know the burner works and that's good. :D

frogs don't have hair :o I checked :o It's an urban legend :mrgreen:

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:26 am

realityguy wrote:
Ahh..which part of the frog are you getting that hair from? :o In some areas they are bigger you know! :mrgreen:

Particularly with the blondes and redheads. :DP:
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:48 am

Hey, did you hear the joke about the blonde frog :o

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:19 am

The short-n-curly ones are always the thickest but to get them you better be nice and ask the frog first if you can have some.. :mrgreen: They can get downright ugly giving up those! :o

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Vintage Backpacking Stoves”