Stove Windscreen Material

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
zelph

Stove Windscreen Material

Postby zelph » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:51 pm

Aluminum screen door replacement fabric is good for making a wind screen for your stove.

It can be bought by the foot at most of your local hardware stores.

Determine how long a piece you need by how high you want it. Add an additional 1 inch to your dimensions so you can fold over the edges by 1/2 inch all around the piece to make for a smooth edge. Fold it to the inside of the windscreen.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

walkin wally

Re: Stove Windscreen Material

Postby walkin wally » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:28 pm

Just curious as I hope to thru hike the AT in March 2010..

I'm new to these lightweight stove Systems.

What kind of stove would you suggest for this set up? Is an unacceptable amount of heat lost through the screen versus a piece of roof flashing? Would you use this set up on the southern AT in March?

Thanks
WW

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:00 pm

walkin wally wrote:Just curious as I hope to thru hike the AT in March 2010..

I'm new to these lightweight stove Systems.

What kind of stove would you suggest for this set up? Is an unacceptable amount of heat lost through the screen versus a piece of roof flashing? Would you use this set up on the southern AT in March?

Thanks
WW

Hi wally, you've got time to do some testing. Roof flashing is an all time favorite to many. The screen replacement material is handy and a little loss can be expected but not much. I suggest you make a SuperCat stove out of a FancyFeast cat food can. A paper punch will make the holes in the can and the flashing material used for the windscreen. the photos of the screen mesh are in answer to questions regarding alternative materials that can be used. I kind of stick in little pieces of information here and there just for the fun of it.

heckdog

Postby heckdog » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:35 pm

So what is an acceptable weight for a windscreen? I bought some flashing at the Home Depot, not sure what gauge it is - but I can't put a hole in it with my paper punch. Lightest I can get it is 2oz. The white box stove comes with a material that is like thick aluminum foil, any idea what that is?

toddheyn

Postby toddheyn » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:20 pm

heckdog wrote:So what is an acceptable weight for a windscreen? I bought some flashing at the Home Depot, not sure what gauge it is - but I can't put a hole in it with my paper punch. Lightest I can get it is 2oz. The white box stove comes with a material that is like thick aluminum foil, any idea what that is?

My guess is that this type of aluminum wind screen is a craft product called "Tooling Aluminum". I have not tried out my theory but when the time comes for a new one, this is what I will try.
"Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien

toddheyn

Postby toddheyn » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:00 pm

toddheyn wrote:
heckdog wrote:So what is an acceptable weight for a windscreen? I bought some flashing at the Home Depot, not sure what gauge it is - but I can't put a hole in it with my paper punch. Lightest I can get it is 2oz. The white box stove comes with a material that is like thick aluminum foil, any idea what that is?

My guess is that this type of aluminum wind screen is a craft product called "Tooling Aluminum". I have not tried out my theory but when the time comes for a new one, this is what I will try.

Here is a link to the site that i will be buying from when I need new windscreen material.

http://www.whimsie.com/aluminum%20foil.html
"Not all who wander are lost." -J. R. R. Tolkien

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:56 pm

You might try the aluminum used for disposable roasting pans found at your local grocery store. It is a heavier aluminum an relatively inexpensive especially if you cook a turkey, ham, or roast in it first ! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:55 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:You might try the aluminum used for disposable roasting pans found at your local grocery store. It is a heavier aluminum an relatively inexpensive especially if you cook a turkey, ham, or roast in it first ! :lol:

Buy three, do a roast the first week, ham the 2nd and turkey the 3rd. Always make things in the number :mrgreen: three

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:45 pm

Party City has HUGE roasting pans with lids. The lids are perfect, will make a windscreen for even large setups in one piece, and they'll let you buy just the lid for 99 cents.

You can make, like, three windscreens for a Heinie setup.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:15 pm

Skidsteer wrote:Party City has HUGE roasting pans with lids. The lids are perfect, will make a windscreen for even large setups in one piece, and they'll let you buy just the lid for 99 cents.

You can make, like, three windscreens for a Heinie setup.

That's a really good tip, thanks Skids.

Return to “Stove Making Tips”