Aluminum and Ti melting point

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
SSGHawk

Aluminum and Ti melting point

Postby SSGHawk » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:55 pm

Hey Commander El Conquistador,
[size=150][size=200]Years ago I built an overly restrictive (around the fire box area)windscreen with plenty of air inlets and caused the original starlyte to boiling and run away. I got to watch the windscreen, made out of a beer can with 34" clearance between the pot and beer can windscreen all around for the exhaust, start the beer can windscreen to ssag before I could smother the fire. (Yes, matter of fact, I did buy some additional fire extinguishers after that , but I do only play with fire outside.) I recently bought some $9 Titanium 6" X 20" sheets from eBay that are less than paper thin (my eyes can't read the micrometer)

Questions: what is the maximum flame temp from: the original Starlyte in normal mode and in simmer mode with about a 1 Inch flame hole cap, and also for the giant Starlyte in normal mode and what ever sized simmer cap?
What is the melting point of the El Conquistador beer cans and take a guess at the melting point of this paper thin Titanium sheet.
BTW the titanium went through the craft corrugator like butter. And finally what will a 8"X12" Titanium of a thickness that wont melt under there temperatures cost, about. Regards Paul.
[/size][/size]

zelph

Re: Aluminum and Ti melting point

Postby zelph » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:28 am

I don't think you will melt the titanium with balls of fire from a runaway alcohol stove :D did you fill the StarLyte to overflowing? that would have caused it to runaway.

I've used Foster cans in campfires, wood burning stoves and as long as you have enough water in them they won't melt.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

SSGHawk

Postby SSGHawk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:22 am

Too long ago to remember, but I probably did overfill the Starlyte. Glad to here that even paper thin titanium will not melt.

Thanks Dan

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:00 pm

SSGHawk wrote:Hey Commander El Conquistador,
[size=150][size=200]Years ago I built an overly restrictive (around the fire box area)windscreen with plenty of air inlets and caused the original starlyte to boiling and run away. I got to watch the windscreen, made out of a beer can with 34" clearance between the pot and beer can windscreen all around for the exhaust, start the beer can windscreen to ssag before I could smother the fire. (Yes, matter of fact, I did buy some additional fire extinguishers after that , but I do only play with fire outside.) I recently bought some $9 Titanium 6" X 20" sheets from eBay that are less than paper thin (my eyes can't read the micrometer)

Questions: what is the maximum flame temp from: the original Starlyte in normal mode and in simmer mode with about a 1 Inch flame hole cap, and also for the giant Starlyte in normal mode and what ever sized simmer cap?
What is the melting point of the El Conquistador beer cans and take a guess at the melting point of this paper thin Titanium sheet.
BTW the titanium went through the craft corrugator like butter. And finally what will a 8"X12" Titanium of a thickness that wont melt under there temperatures cost, about. Regards Paul.
[/size][/size]

Titanium through a craft corrugator makes for a nice curly conglomeration.

A reminder to folks using the StarLyte burners.....DO NOT OVERFILL....DO NOT OVERFILL....DO NOT OVERFILL A full burner will heat up and cause the alcohol to expand and rise up and over the top of the burner and create a puddle of burning flames all around it and then cause the top of the burner to become somewhat lose around the edge. DO NOT PUT MORE THAN ONE OUNCE OF FUEL INTO THE STOVE.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Stove Making Tips”