Klean Kanteen Stove

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
seudo_411

Klean Kanteen Stove

Post by seudo_411 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:49 am

Hi All

I recently stumbled across the New range of Klean Kanteen Wide mouth bottles, http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/wi ... n-wide.php

They are made of 18/8 stainless steel, and are touted to be food safe bpa-free etc etc, but what really got my attention was that these bottles can be used on a stove... So my mind got a ticking, I figured these would make an awesome hot drink kit, when paired with a suitable stove, and there in lies my problem, I need a stove that i can pair with either a 355 ml (12oz) or a 532ml (18oz) bottle... The Base of the bottles are 2.75" or about 70mm. I was strongly considering a super stove style stove, or even a Cobalt blue, but the one problem i have is that i would like a resealable stove... if i can make either of those stoves resealable i would be sorted, but i can't see anyway of doing this... any suggestions.

I also found the folowing burner, which is perfect, except for the fact that i would have to carry a canister as well...

If i could carry a smaller canister, like a 50g or so then i would be happy for life.. but I can't find a smaller canister.

So I have settled for the either a dual fuel gel and alcohol stove. or just a straight alcohol stove like Zelph's Super Stove.

IF anyone has any suggestions please pass on.
Save space, Live on the edge...

Life might be a Bitch, but at least she knows who her Daddy is...

zelph

Re: Klean Kanteen Stove

Post by zelph » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:07 pm

Go with the cans of gelled alcohol and I'll make you a stainless steel wire pot support that will easily wrap around the can for storage. the pot support will sit on top of the can when in use.

Maybe a Trangia stove would work for you. I could make the pot support for it.

Don't stay away for such a long time :D

Hey!!! really nice find on the stainless steel containers.............thanks for sharing that with us ;)

Tell us about the burner in the photo :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Blazinator

Post by Blazinator » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:47 pm

Haha...you think my newest creation fits the bill Zelph? :DB:

Given it needs more testing...

seudo_411

Post by seudo_411 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:49 pm

yeah I do look in every now and then, but the burner in question is a ceramic gas burner, that is 2.5'' in diameter, and is used in model trains to heat the boiler. It runs off standard canister gas and comes with a refillable canister....see link http://www.forest-classics.co.uk/bix%20001.htm also see the following http://www.forest-classics.co.uk/ceramic_burners.htm

the problem is that these tanks are way to heavy... hence me wanting to go with an alcohol option.

Blazinator your creation is ideal. :D what are your 1 and 2 cup boil times, and what is your wind resistance like?

That is why i want to go with gas, for the wind resistance of the flames... and the fact that i can enclose the burner and leave only vent holes at the top for the exhaust gasses. because gas burners entrain their own air, i would not need to allow for fresh air intake, as i would have to with the alcohol stoves.

Blazinator

Post by Blazinator » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:00 pm

16oz (2 cup) boil time is right at 8 minutes without a windscreen. I need to do some more testing...and make a windscreen...I should be tinkering tonight and posting some results. I'm going to try and do an outdoor test as well if I can fashion a decent windscreen that fits in my pot. :roll:

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:51 pm

Wind resistant stove equates to = StarLyte Stove.............very wind resistant, 2" tall by 2" diameter, integrated pot support. You've seen the video where I use it in below freezing temperature, high wind to thaw the door latches on my car when I was up in Minnesota a couple years ago. ( I just cringed to think about that cold day driving my daughter to a doctor appointment)

Blazinator

Post by Blazinator » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:08 am

seudo_411 wrote: what is your wind resistance like?

seudo_411

Post by seudo_411 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:23 am

Zelph the starlyte is generally a go to stove, and i think that blaze has managed to get all the features of the starlyte, sans pot stand, into his Mole stove. :lol:

I love it, I now have a better idea of what i can built my kit on, I was also torn between a insulated one, and the non insulated one. As the insulated one provides 6 hours of heat for hot drinks and 24hours for cold, but you can't boil water in it, so i am going to get both, an 18 oz regular for boiling water, and a 12 oz insulated for keeping my drinks warm

I had an idea for a sliding windscreen, that is basically a piece of SS that fits snugly over the bottle. see mock up below bottle pictured is an 18 Oz regular.

I would also just wrap the top of the bottle with a cozy to minimize heat loss.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:12 pm

Ooohhhh, sounding good :D

Buy an insulated one and cut the top off and that will give you a piece for windscreen and a pot. Measure twice and cut once. :D

CajunHiker

Post by CajunHiker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:24 pm

Any updates on this?
I'm looking at doing something similar with a 24 oz. Stanley bottle from Walmart. I'm trying to get some ideas of how to incorporate a Royal Dansk Luxury Wafer tin as a wood/alcho stove. The upper lip of the tin is too small for the bottle, but I remove the bottom of the tin and it nest pretty tightly. Maybe too tighly, I'm not sure.