"Pimp My Heine" add-ons & accessories

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
Ridgerunner

Re: "Pimp My Heine" add-ons & accessories

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat May 24, 2008 8:49 am

Army navy surplus stores have wool liners for a couple of bucks a pair. Good place to shop and drop a few bucks

You can always find something useful in the Army Surplus store. I bought a tiny oil bottle to use for my dish soap dispenser. I also was eyeing a pair of felt boot liners, thinking I might shoe goo them to the bottom of a pair of cheap wading boots or high tops for stream fishing.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat May 24, 2008 1:09 pm

I added a few accessories to my Heine Companion Plus stove and wanted to share a couple pics. No frills, just added part of a coffee can for a reflector plate and part od a water bottle for a globe. I also used a coat hanger(second, only to duct tape for uses) for what else, a hanger. :ugeek: I tested the globe using two tea candles in succession and let them burn in their entirity. There was no effects what so ever to the plastic globe. I presume this is because the candle does not sit right up against the globe.

ImageImage
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 29, 2008 8:46 pm

Good tip there Ridgerunner on the globes and candles.(and coathangar)

Has anyone tried wrapping their pot with drywall joint tape? Does it work????? Does it catch on fire due to the adhesive on it? I read on WB someone has used it? Skids, any info on this?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Fri May 30, 2008 12:27 am

Zelph,

I saw this in a boy scout troop video in YouTube. They use the adhesive fiberglass tape. The video claims that the adhesive does burn off and the loose end then needs to be tucked in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzGJzUxnwCM

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 30, 2008 7:45 pm

DaddyMnM wrote:Zelph,

I saw this in a boy scout troop video in YouTube. They use the adhesive fiberglass tape. The video claims that the adhesive does burn off and the loose end then needs to be tucked in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzGJzUxnwCM

Thank You for the feedback. It sounds like a fast and less expensive way to wrap it. I think it's 2" wide, the tape is. I don't remember it being that sticky though.

lite hiker

Postby lite hiker » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:05 pm

markhait wrote:One question I have:......How do I side cut the top off a Heini? I bought a side cutting can opener, but because the sides of the Heini aren't straight, I can't seem to get the can opener on. If I force it, I'll make a HUGE dent towards the top of the can and it just ends up popping off. I bought the Good Hands can opener and then bought another, but have the same problem with the sides of the can being tapered. Is there a cutter that just comes over the edge and doesn't hang down?

i cup the tops of my cans of with a simple jig. score a deap line with a knife were you want the lid to come off then push it in it should break off easily. if you have one of the older leathermen with then knife on the inside they work great.
Ask a stupid question Get a stupid answer.

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:31 pm

I use the good cook style as seen in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcNKGlXXCAs

I have not had any success using it on small cans like the guy in the video, but it works great in the 24oz Heineken can.

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:53 pm

On small cans you can cheat a little. Haven't had to try this on big cans since my safety cutter works well. You need two cans.

Cleanly removed the top using a regular can opener. Turning backwards sometimes works better than forwards. You could also use the score and press method listed a couple of posts up. Then you have the can pot with no lid, but top ring is left intact.

Then, on a second can, use a utility knife to carefully cut under the rim to cut through the can, and remove the complete lid, rim and all. This will be the lid for the can pot. Not as good a fit as the safety can method, but works OK. I have also found that the battery powered safety cutters remove the lid completely as well.

Of course Oops found a jelly jar lid fits well on the small cans too.

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:12 pm

zelph wrote:Good tip there Ridgerunner on the globes and candles.(and coathangar)

Has anyone tried wrapping their pot with drywall joint tape? Does it work????? Does it catch on fire due to the adhesive on it? I read on WB someone has used it? Skids, any info on this?

Saw the same tip.

I haven't tried wrapping any pots with it yet but I have made some wick stoves using the drywall joint tape:

I got the yellow. :mrgreen: Good news! It wicks!

ImageImageImageImage

No fumes but the color fades after the first burn :cry: . It's very light compared to muffler wrap and super easy to work with because it stays where you put it.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:19 pm

I like the fact that it stays where you put it. I like the porosity of it also for light weight and putting air between pot and fingers :D

I like the yellow too!!!!!

Return to “Stove Making Tips”