"Pimp My Heine" add-ons & accessories

Always good to have some helpful tips when making stove.
Where to get materials cheap, what tool is best.
How to do a specific task. Anything that will help.
zelph

"Pimp My Heine" add-ons & accessories

Postby zelph » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:39 pm

I thought it would be a good idea to have everyone post what kind of containers are being used for carrying a heineken pot set up to keep the pot from getting squished.

For starters is the Quaker oats Oatmeal container.

Also saw a clear plastic container used for stick pretzels in a grocery store on the east coast when I was on vacation this year. Don't remember the store name.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Re: Heineken pot storage containers

Postby oops56 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:07 am

I think i post this once this set has two pots all into the big can. I got this at wal mart 3 to a set its called lock & lock storage conatiner this size is a 7.6 cup size 61 oz. 1.9 ot..

Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:21 am

Here are some pics of containers used:

CajunHiker

Postby CajunHiker » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:02 am

That pickling lime container looks like a good fit. How expensive is that stuff? Hard to find?

I say we start a "Pimp My Heine" thread for all add-ons & accessories for Heine cans.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:10 pm

CajunHiker wrote:That pickling lime container looks like a good fit. How expensive is that stuff? Hard to find?

I say we start a "Pimp My Heine" thread for all add-ons & accessories for Heine cans.

It was purchased at a local "Ace" hardware store for less than $4.00. They also have pickling salt(no additives, like iodine) in the same size container. The salt can be used as regular salt.

Let's try your idea Cajunhiker and rename this thread. What say you?

zelph

Re: "Pimp My Heine" add-ons & accessories

Postby zelph » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:15 pm

Recently found this milk bottle to be of the right diameter to fit inside the Heiny can. Purchased at a "Culvers" restaurant here in the midwest.

1/2 pint liquid capacity. Put some dark food coloring in your fuel to make it visible through the plastic.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:34 pm

I have been using Skids idea of the Zip-Loc containers with the screw on tops. I just can't decide if I want to make a coffee filter out of the top or use it as a cup or bowl :roll: If I drilled a hole in the top bowl for a coffee filter. I wonder how practical it would be to use a small rubber stopper to use it as a cup or bowl for oatmeal, when not using it for a coffee filter ?

How many people attach a wrap to their Heine pot to grab it without burning their fingers or do you just use a rag.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Skidsteer

Postby Skidsteer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:36 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:I have been using Skids idea of the Zip-Loc containers with the screw on tops. I just can't decide if I want to make a coffee filter out of the top or use it as a cup or bowl :roll: If I drilled a hole in the top bowl for a coffee filter. I wonder how practical it would be to use a small rubber stopper to use it as a cup or bowl for oatmeal, when not using it for a coffee filter ?

How many people attach a wrap to their Heine pot to grab it without burning their fingers or do you just use a rag.

Haven't tried the rubber stopper idea(considered it though), but remember the zip loc bowls are stackable so you could just stack one more on top with little space penalty.

As to lifting the pot, I still swear by(and seldom at)wool gloves, which I carry regardless.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Pure Mahem

Postby Pure Mahem » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:34 pm

I had a modified tunafish can lid that I had made into a lid for my heini pot but gave it up when I saw someone using an Altoids citrus sours lid for the pot cover, seems to fit almost perfect just slightly loose there is a 1mm gap all the way around the pot. I'm not sure if I can tweak this some how to get it a little more snug. A pipe expander might work but I don't own one so....Anyway I put my silicone wristband around the top of the altoids lid and tadah. The silicone band hangs down about 2mm and it seams to form a more snug seal around the top. I will be looking for a small knob to put a handle on it but I am in no hurry as it seems to work ok this way. Don't use a wrap, mainly because I'm cheap! Use the bandanna, mainly because I'm cheap! Although the fiberglass wick wrapped around the can looks very very interesting. But I probably won't do it unless the stuff falls out of the sky at me, mainly because I'm cheap! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

markhait

Postby markhait » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:23 pm

HI all!
My first post here and I have to say what a GREAT site this is! I've been looking for a sit like this for some time now.
Just got into making stoves and I've got just about everyone convinced that I'm crazy! :lol:
I'm still experimenting, but now that I've found you (this site), I'll probably have a lot more options.

One question I have:......How do I side cut the top off a Heini? I bought a side cutting can opener, but because the sides of the Heini aren't straight, I can't seem to get the can opener on. If I force it, I'll make a HUGE dent towards the top of the can and it just ends up popping off. I bought the Good Hands can opener and then bought another, but have the same problem with the sides of the can being tapered. Is there a cutter that just comes over the edge and doesn't hang down?

Thanks for your help!

Return to “Stove Making Tips”